PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/Manifold design resources

Strider
10-17-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm doing some research on exhaust design for the Formula SAE project at the University and I'm looking for good books or websites on exhaust design does anybody know of any?

Also, which is better for low end power on a small displacement engine, 4-2-1, or 4-1 headers? Which is better for turbo'd engines?

Thanks

Hollywood
10-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I'm doing some research on exhaust design for the Formula SAE project at the University and I'm looking for good books or websites on exhaust design does anybody know of any?

Also, which is better for low end power on a small displacement engine, 4-2-1, or 4-1 headers? Which is better for turbo'd engines?

Thanks

Well sounds like you may be need some more schooling. Turbo engines do not use headers.

For N/A cars (headers) what do you call small displacement 1.6L B16? or a 2.5L QR25DE? Your too vaigue my friend. What I would put on the honda civic might be different with what I would put on the nissan specV, they are both 4cyl engines just at opposite ends of the spectrum of displacement.

For turbo engines, "equal length manifolds" usally made out of tube stainless steel are superior manfolds over say the "log style" or "cast stock style".

Corky Bell wote a book called Maximum Boost. It's all about turbo's, worth checking out. Also Turbo magazine (the slim jim from the primidia group), usally show pictures of 10-7 sec. imports. That should be a start.

Strider
10-17-2002, 11:01 PM
sorry... meant to say collectors or is it headers? (whats the difference?).. its on a Honda F4 engine
anyways, they're planning on mounting the turbo after the collectors/headers (because there's little or no room in the engine compartment), but they may not use a turbo at all, so they need a system that will work with or without a turbo... so would 4-1 be better? or 4-2-1?

Strider
10-17-2002, 11:35 PM
the limit is 610cc... so the Honda f4 engine fits below the limit... they have actually decided they wanna turbo this years car, but it might not go through, so they're trying to keep the designs ie exhaust open to both options

GTS Jeff
10-18-2002, 12:02 AM
as a rule of thumb, 4-2-1 headers give more mid-range than 4-1 which are for top-end power..

that said, its a lot more complicated than that..flow characteristics are affected by the overall design of the header...how long it is, how thick, the shape, etc..all can affect the exhaust gas velocity in ways u wont know until u try..

Toma
10-18-2002, 01:27 AM
Turbo header design is completely different from NA header design. They are designed to do completely different things. Trying to use the same header for both situations would be a serious compromise for each.

What is the targeted power output of this motor?? How many cylinders? What rpm range? What fuel?

Thanks,
Toma

Strider
10-18-2002, 01:47 AM
Its a 600cc 4 cylinder motorcycle engine, with a 20mm restrictor on the intake... the power output for last years car was somewhere in the 60hp range i think... but of course the more the better. As far as I know we're using regular pump gas... the engine is good for up to somewhere around 11,000rpm, but we need good low end power, because its a really tight course in detroit.

rx7_turbo2
10-18-2002, 09:20 AM
A decision has to be made about whether a turbo will be used or not, then you can design the right system, otherwise your wasting your time trying to design an exhaust system you can hack a turbo into later.

RT16V
10-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood (2)

Well sounds like you may be need some more schooling. Turbo engines do not use headers.

For turbo engines, "equal length manifolds" usally made out of tube stainless steel are superior manfolds over say the "log style" or "cast stock style".

Corky Bell wote a book called Maximum Boost. It's all about turbo's, worth checking out.

Not quite true. A turbo engine can (and in fact lots do) use a header(s). Maybe in terms of production turbo engines the use of 'manifolds' is more common - but that's also the case for NA cars as well.

If you are new to turbo system & component design, definitely check out Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost".

Blaine

Strider
10-18-2002, 08:06 PM
thanks.... any idea where i can get my hands on a copy of the book?

90_Shelby
10-20-2002, 11:32 AM
If it's N/A I would go 4-2-1 and have the appropriate cylinders in the firing order Y'd to help scavenging. This is a proven design used mostly in circle track. For turbo I would build a short header/manifold that would be based on a 4-1.

Pole Position
10-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Goto Amazon.ca for Maximum Boost.