PDA

View Full Version : Driving Lowered Cars

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:26 PM
Well I got my car back, its now lowered but the kit is so aggressive that it gives the car a slammed look......anyway, the rear bumper is just huge, much bigger than the front!

So I'm doing my last food order before I go home, I knew I should have taken the Forester.......so I pull into these town houses, it didn't look too steep at first, the front made it but the back didn't! I hear a scrape and I was about to cry! LOL Turned out that I scraped the bottom right corner of my rear bumper, can't see it unless you look under the car...... but still, the scrape is indeed there and the first scrape is always the most painful:banghead: :(

ARgh....just had to get it out of my system

Now I'm definitely now lowering the car, I don't care if I have to go 4*4 styles

at least the ABS plastic is strong! unlike cheap fiberglass hehe:rofl:

Hakkola
10-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I usually only have a problem with the front, really gotta watch out when parking and those speed bumps can be real scary sometimes.

I wanna see the car, up for a cruise?? Lol, I'm so bored.

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:33 PM
I had school today and just finished a 7 hour shift, I'm tired, maybe next time for sures.........

lammer
10-18-2002, 10:35 PM
hehe damn i wanan lower my car when ig et one. but im scared of parking it up in the garage because when i go up it might scrape the front bumper won't it?

Hakkola
10-18-2002, 10:41 PM
Maybe, I usually park backwards because the rear bumper has more clearance then the front.

Yeah, next time is alright, hehe. Go get some sleep buddy.

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:44 PM
Just go at an angle but it depends how low your car is too.....when I had my Prelude, I had a wingswest rs kit and dropped it 1.5inches and had no problems but I still scraped from time to time though........ahhh....can't avoid them all but the first one is just so painful, its like I got kicked in the ballz lol

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:45 PM
Oh yah, its weird, I've had more people look at me in the last 2 days than I had in the last 6 months! haha feels great lol:rofl:

lammer
10-18-2002, 10:46 PM
you guys know what i meant when i said parking in the garage right? you have to climb that little quarter circle thing then up your driveway into the garage..hehe i hope it will be safe.

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by lammer
you guys know what i meant when i said parking in the garage right? you have to climb that little quarter circle thing then up your driveway into the garage..hehe i hope it will be safe.

LOL Yes, just don't drive straight up facing the garage......go sideways, parallel to the curb.....then turn the wheel all the way to the right until you get one tire onto driveway and then your usually safe......same thing when you reverse, turn the wheel all the way to one side and back out slowly.......but there is a learning process, you'll probably scrape a few times before you catch on hehe......

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:50 PM
And that is why if I become mayor, I am going slam all the parking lots/houses and eliminate speed bumps hahahahha:rofl:

CRXguy
10-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Did you go to Riverglen Park? That driveway is fucking steep, and the speedbumps are huge. I scraped the underside of the CRX a couple times back then.:(

lammer
10-18-2002, 10:54 PM
hrmm haha someones gotta show me im not good with words.

Hakkola
10-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Hahaha, AWESOME, you got my vote!!!

Yeah, i thought you meant like big parking garage, but yeah, some places you have problems if you don't go real slow, like at chinook beside the parkade for for the theater there's the little uphill where i scrape sometimes, after the first scrape it's not that big a deal, It's not really noticable unless you go up and look real close, most people won't notice though.

CRXguy
10-18-2002, 10:56 PM
hrmm haha someones gotta show me im not good with words.

Just think....... go up at an angle, 45 degrees, one tire at a time.

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Did you go to Riverglen Park? That driveway is fucking steep, and the speedbumps are huge. I scraped the underside of the CRX a couple times back then.:(

Yes Riverglen Park is steep!

But I was delivering in Acadia, across from Lord Beaverbrook.....dam it......!:banghead:

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Hahaha, AWESOME, you got my vote!!!

If I can get all the asian people and all the car enthusiasts, I think we have Calgary's first Chinese Mayor!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lammer
10-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

Just think....... go up at an angle, 45 degrees, one tire at a time.

k so i hit the parking lot at 45 degrees.
then when the first tire clears it i start to go straight slowly?

Hakkola
10-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Exactly.

Haha, I don't even know the mayors name anymore, we got a new mayor this year didn't we??

CRXguy
10-18-2002, 11:01 PM

k so i hit the parking lot at 45 degrees.
then when the first tire clears it i start to go straight slowly?

no, i actually wait till all 4 tires are on the driveway before i straighten out.

lammer
10-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Exactly.

Haha, I don't even know the mayors name anymore, we got a new mayor this year didn't we??

yeah bronconnier or something ahah i remeber because my neighbour had a big slogan on his fence

Hakkola
10-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Hahaha

Lol, this thread is keepin me entertained, it grew fast.

OT but has anyone actually been so bored that it actually became intense?? Crazy.

I think you should lower your car, don't worry about a couple scrapes.

infamous
10-18-2002, 11:23 PM
holy shit i know what you mean max...i went there for all my high school years, and my friend would scrape at times in his 92 mustang 4 banger not lowered at all....when he first did it he was so pissed...but i could just imagine the first time with a bmw with a :bigpimp: kit...ouch

Superesc
10-19-2002, 12:39 AM
Don't forget to take some pics MB!!!!

GTS Jeff
10-19-2002, 12:47 AM
man scraping sucks!

even with stock suspension on a lot of cars u have to be careful with curbs if u dont want to scrape that plastic shield in front of the oil pan..

haha when im in the van, i go roaring straight up curbs and speed bumps no problems. haha it always sounds nice when the van goes "vrrrrrrrBONK*scraaaape*" over a curb. hehe

e46slugmo
10-19-2002, 05:46 AM
hey max_boost when are you going to post pics of ur car up..^6...

Ben
10-19-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
man scraping sucks!

even with stock suspension on a lot of cars u have to be careful with curbs if u dont want to scrape that plastic shield in front of the oil pan..

haha when im in the van, i go roaring straight up curbs and speed bumps no problems. haha it always sounds nice when the van goes "vrrrrrrrBONK*scraaaape*" over a curb. hehe

AHAHAHAHA, yeah, you come into my drive way at like 70!

I'm lowering my car this winter...80mm boys and girls! W00T!

4x4 be-gone!!

szw
10-19-2002, 12:41 PM
I wanted to lower my car for looks, but I don't think its worth it.

1) My driveway is way too steep, and I live in very hilly areas!

2) Don't think I will gain anything on a performance aspect, I think all the springs out htere are softer than stock

I wouldn't mind some hydraulics though! haha

bksze
10-19-2002, 12:45 PM
i think having the occasional scrape is more than worth the look of a lowered car along with a stiff suspension . . . like i said, i raised mine back to stock a couple of days ago and i hate it . . . looks like a POS . . . hey maxboost, how much was your kit??? and where from? Tunerworks i presume???

HRD2PLZ
10-19-2002, 02:01 PM
I used to scrape the Probe all the time going in and out of my garage :dunno: especially if I tried t back into the garage.

I decided not to lower my car until the spring though, I mean, I've driven around for almost a month now with the lowering springs in the trunk- I don't think a few more will kill me :rofl:

max_boost
10-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by bksze
i think having the occasional scrape is more than worth the look of a lowered car along with a stiff suspension . . . like i said, i raised mine back to stock a couple of days ago and i hate it . . . looks like a POS . . . hey maxboost, how much was your kit??? and where from? Tunerworks i presume???

Yes from Tunerworks:D CAn't tell you the price though.....top secret! hehe j/k

I will warn you now, if you buy a Euro Car, be prepared to shell out some madd $$$ for bodykits and mods......

But you see, BMW aren't like other cars, we have less wheel gap, if you look at my car right now, it looks lowered already......just need some wheels to fill up the gap.......its only noticeable because I have 15inch steelies with hubcaps:rofl:

max_boost
10-19-2002, 02:25 PM
I'm thinking about slamming my drive way......make it completely flat so I can just drive straight up, do I have to go to the city for this? When I paved my driveway and extended to park another car, that was ok since it was on my property, but how about the bottom of the driveway? Since it is on the street

lammer
10-19-2002, 02:37 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking of mb. i wanna put some ashphalt or something right at the end of my driveway so i can get better clearance, willi be allowed to do so?

szw
10-19-2002, 02:46 PM
How much did it cost to extend your driveway?

I think you need a permit, since the curb isn't your property. It might be, but the street isn't. Mine is more diffcult since I have a sidewalk between the front of the driveway and the end of the driveway.

boi-alien
10-19-2002, 02:47 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking of mb. i wanna put some ashphalt or something right at the end of my driveway so i can get better clearance, willi be allowed to do so?

no i don't think that's allowed, because that messes up the gutters and stuff.. my friends had their own ramps (pieces of thick metal) that they'd lay over the bump to make it a little smoother, but they got in trouble for that too.

szw
10-19-2002, 02:48 PM

They have a ramp at cnd tire called EZRAMP that is meant to fill this gap. I will buy a piece of plywood and see how that works for now. My car is pretty high stock, and it is still a pain to get up my driveway. VERY high driveway, as well as an uphill slant.

What kind of wood do I use? I want something that won't snap one day and smash my front end. If it bends and sinks into the contour of the dip, that would be fine as long as it doesn't move around.

three.eighteen.
10-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

But you see, BMW aren't like other cars, we have less wheel gap

haha that's exactly the reason we all bought BMWs :rofl: :rofl:

max_boost
10-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by szw
How much did it cost to extend your driveway?

I think you need a permit, since the curb isn't your property. It might be, but the street isn't. Mine is more diffcult since I have a sidewalk between the front of the driveway and the end of the driveway.

In some neighborhoods like WillowPark the sidewalk and the driveway curb is extremely steep, I've seen some that have been slammed...not exactly sure how that works

Next time you come over, look at the right side of the driveway, you'll notice where it got paved, and look at the left side where you walk upto the steps, it cost $2300......we did this when we first moved in, I was asking my dad about slamming the curb but my car made it up no problem so we didn't go through wtih those plans.....I remember the concrete dude said we need the city's approval, not sure if that has changed.......

I've also seen some people put some metal or steel plates? I'm sure that would help.......I was actually thinking of jacking someones of their driveway! j/k:rofl:

SoSlowDx
10-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Just get a piece of 2x8 or so, long enough to cover the width of the driveway!!!!

szw
10-19-2002, 03:50 PM
yeah i will try a piece of wood for now.

I think it would be hard to slam the driveway if you want to maintain a constant slope leading into the garage. You would have to re-do the entire thing. If you wanted to make a 'curved' driveway it would be easier, but would look kinda weird.

infamous
10-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

hahaha great memories of the cruise!!

szw
10-19-2002, 04:01 PM
What do you know, there is tons of wood in my garage. haha

It works well! I don't have to come to a complete stop before I try going up my driveway. It just looks ugly as hell!