PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking out of filter

junboon
05-21-2004, 11:15 PM
i attempted to change my oil and filter on my 92 fzr 600. i had a really hard time removing the filter. it was actually crushed when it finally came out. anyway, i heard you were suppose to tighten to the filter too much so i didnt but when i started the bike up, it leaked oil. So i tightened it more and it still leaked. so i tightened it as hard as i could with a wrence and it still leaks. The rubber ring is from the old oil filter is NOT still on there. I've bought a new oil filter and the same thing happened. The only thing i can think of is that my bike uses 20w-40 oil and i just got some expensive motorcycle oil instead because i couldnt find 20w-40. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Meteorite
05-21-2004, 11:28 PM
When you install an oil filter you should rub a dab of oil around the seal and tighten it hand tight, as hard as you can with your bare hands. Then, put a filter wrench on ot (preferably the type that caps over the cupped end and tightens with a ratchet) and just give it a little snug.
Never reef on it. It is an aluminum spiggot. You can strip the threads easily.

When you put a new filter on, try this.

EK 2.0
05-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Also make sure the old gasket came off with the filter you removed from teh bike...if not pick up a new filter remove the buggered up one and make sure there is no gasket on the filter housing on the bike...

junboon
05-21-2004, 11:54 PM
i definately reefed on it at one point due to frustration. i cant see any visible damage to the thread but i dont have the best viewing angles. I tried to removing it, to get a better look but its on there pretty tight and i dont have wd-40 right now so i'll have to wait til tomorrow.

^SkylinE^
05-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
Also make sure the old gasket came off with the filter you removed from teh bike...if not pick up a new filter remove the buggered up one and make sure there is no gasket on the filter housing on the bike...

THis happend to me once. The old gasket for the old filter stays on so that when you put the new one on it doesn't seal right. My car was pissing oil everywhere. Double check that theres not and extra gasket on there could be the problem. If there is just take off the filter throw away the lose gasket and put the filter back on hand tight. :thumbsup:

Meteorite
05-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Here's one for the guys;
What would be the harm in the careful application of teflon tape to the oil spiggot, where the filter screws on to the engine?
I know in aircraft, there are some places where teflon can be used on hot surfaces, because it does not break down with heat that readilly, however that is on normally aspirated prop engines, and not turboprop or jet engines.

Obviously, no dangling bits should be left that could be sucked into the oil pump or motor.

I wonder if Locktite makes a product that will survive the 200 degrees that it may have to endure if used on an oil filter spiggot?

EK 2.0
05-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Meteorite
Here's one for the guys;
What would be the harm in the careful application of teflon tape to the oil spiggot, where the filter screws on to the engine?
I know in aircraft, there are some places where teflon can be used on hot surfaces, because it does not break down with heat that readilly, however that is on normally aspirated prop engines, and not turboprop or jet engines.

Obviously, no dangling bits should be left that could be sucked into the oil pump or motor.

I wonder if Locktite makes a product that will survive the 200 degrees that it may have to endure if used on an oil filter spiggot?

I think that Loctite does Ducati, BUT why would you need it...I have never had an Oil Filter back loose...Even the teflon tape idea...I mean check to make sure you have the old filters gasket with you, and you should be fine...

bol
05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
The threads on the spigot are not what is leaking. Its the seal between the oilfilter gasket and crankcase. Either there is old matterial on the crankcase or the new gasket is torn. Try a new filter, making sure the mating surfaces are clean and that the new gasket is coated with oil. I usually fill the oil filter before installing it as well.

Don't use teflon tape, loctite or any gasket maker sealant. You'll cause more problems in the long run and the threads are not the problem(unless they are striped and the filter is going on crooked - then nothing will help.)