PDA

View Full Version : Shall I take a legal action?

zlx
05-22-2004, 10:34 PM
About 3 weeks ago,I bought an used car from private person . There was an S.S.C.(Safety Standards Certificate) issued from a garage. When I registerd my car, the vehicle office kept the S.S.C. report. But this week, a mechanic checked my car and found that the rear suspension springs are badly broken. I contacted the old owner and she said that she sold the car with safety cerificate and has no responsibility to solve this problem. Then I contact the garage who gave out the safety certificate report. They promised to change springs. But I think it shouldn't be so simple to solve this problem. I think the garage never did a careful inspection to that car. They just charged money and issued the safety certificate report. It was a very dangerous thing! I don't know weather there is any other safety problem with the car. At present ,I don't trust that garage any more. I just want to solve the problem. I want to get my car repaired and obtain the compensation for the risk I took these days.

what's the best way to solve it?
How much money should I ask for ?
Is it good to me if I report this thing to Ministry of Transiportation Ontario ?

Lennon
05-22-2004, 10:41 PM
If you try suing, ... just don't bother, so much red tape when it comes to this crap, if the garage is going to fix it up, right away, and for free, I would be happy with that.

googe
05-23-2004, 12:51 AM
take what they offered, suing for "what might have happened" is pretty retarded. youre fine, youre not out any money, leave things be...

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by googe
take what they offered, suing for "what might have happened" is pretty retarded. youre fine, youre not out any money, leave things be...
:werd: Dont do things the American way

Owned 2
05-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

:werd: Dont do things the American way

:werd: PLEASE dont sue... that is the first thing that comes to peoples minds when ANYTHING wrong happens to them... ever hear or forgive and forget? Your lucky the shop has offered to fix the problems, and who knows... it could have EASILY happened between the time of the inspection and the purchase.

Weapon_R
05-23-2004, 05:12 AM
More than likely, you will forget the notion to sue after you realize how expensive it will be and how little gain you will get

Mckenzie
05-23-2004, 10:18 AM
The law will not work in your favor if you turn to sue. They do not award damages for just pain and suffering or what could have happened. The law requires people to have a degree of thick skin, which basically means that you should be able to handle a certain amount of distress (because life is a bitch sometimes). If you did suffer a monetary or material loss, then yes you would be able to sue under tort law for negligence.

But as stated above, the lengthy process is enough to discourage people from going through with stupid little claims like people do in America (like the fat bitch that sued her neighbours kids for playing basketball....the bouncing of the ball caused her anguish....this was her 20th similar lawsuit :thumbsdow ).

Just get them to replace the springs and be happy that you are safe.

ZorroAMG
05-23-2004, 11:01 AM
is this Beyond.us? hmmmm....

Don't bother, your argument is weak and you'd be laughed out of court...

SleeperD
05-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Ya if the springs are going to get fixed for free then...:clap: thats that...no need to wast your time

kiwi
05-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
More than likely, you will forget the notion to sue after you realize how expensive it will be and how little gain you will get

:werd:
It won't be worth your time!

autobodygal
05-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Don't waste your time suing, but IMO you should report the inspection station. It's the only way to make these inspection stations actually live up to what they were designed for. Don't know what the laws are there but here in Sk, inspection stations are govererd more closely. Not saying the system is perfect, but if you report something like that here, they will investigate and hopefully stop the inspection station from just passing any piece of crap through.

hjr
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
sueing will not get you any money. lawyer fees WILL eat up any settlement you get (If your lucky). You are getting off easy pleasy cause the shop will fix you car for free. this is rare. dont piss them off.

zlx
05-23-2004, 09:42 PM
:dunno:

Thank you guys for giving me so much advise. But if I let that inspection station fix springs, how can I know whether there is any other saftey problem? They may play some tricks on my car when they fixing it and will make you spend more money . that could happen. That's why I said I never trust that garage any more.

Skylinelover
05-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Get the car inspected again.

Kor
05-24-2004, 03:30 AM
Even if the garage was hasty the first time, if you make an issue about this I am sure they will be more careful... you can call the BBB too... thats free and lots of shops do care.