PDA

View Full Version : Race city and vehicle insurance

Redlyne_mr2
05-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Do all vehicles racing at race city require insurance and registration? The reason I ask is because Im looking into building a car strictly for "off road" use and I really don't want to pay insurance on something I wont be driving on the streets. In race form it probably wouldnt pass an insurance inspection anyways. thanks guys

JordanLotoski
05-22-2004, 11:51 PM
i think they require liability...for the reason of you killing yourself or someone else...not that that will happen..but for those who cant drive..just coving there ass..but what do i know

benyl
05-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Most insurance policies have a clause that specifically says that you aren't covered when you are on a track. So having insurance would be useless.

Why not make a call to your insurance broker and ask?

Redlyne_mr2
05-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Most insurance policies have a clause that specifically says that you aren't covered when you are on a track. So having insurance would be useless.

Why not make a call to your insurance broker and ask?
Well I know that my insurance wont cover me at the track, I also know I probably wont pass an insurance inspection anyways. I just need to know what Race City requires.

benyl
05-23-2004, 12:13 AM
for Secret Street drags:

Vehicles participating must be ‘Street Legal', properly licensed and insured, with complete working muffler systems. No open headers will be allowed. The maximum noise level is 95 db at 50 feet at 3500 RPM. Cars may be brought to the track on trailers, but must be street legal. All vehicles must have an operational taillight and headlight. Slicks are allowed.

http://www.racecity.com/rules.php

pick you event type. It doesn't say anything about insurance for Autocross.

Try sending them an e-mail. [email protected]

GTS Jeff
05-23-2004, 12:22 AM
what kind of off-roader are you building

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Hmm well it says I need insurance for autox....that is the dumbest thing ever

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
what kind of off-roader are you building
A battle coupe:D

BTW thanks alot Benyl

Owned 2
05-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Ok wth? I bought a car and I just went to my insurance company, the filled out some forms and I was insured... they didnt even ask to LOOK at the car... I then straight into the registries, got it registered and have been driving this car for about 4 months now...

lol was I suppose to get it inspected?

GTS Jeff
05-23-2004, 02:21 AM
whatever u do, dont mention racing to your insruance.

benyl
05-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Owned 2
Ok wth? I bought a car and I just went to my insurance company, the filled out some forms and I was insured... they didnt even ask to LOOK at the car... I then straight into the registries, got it registered and have been driving this car for about 4 months now...

lol was I suppose to get it inspected?

How old is the car? Before a certain age, I think that it is 10 years, they don't look at it unless you ask for windshield coverage. Usually, if the car is older than 10 years (or maybe it is 15, I can't remember) they ask you to get it inspected first.

hjr
05-23-2004, 09:53 AM
if the car is older than 10 years (thats the cutoff) it needs a tech inspection sent to the ins. company to be insured.

What is a battle coupe?

Gonthro
05-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by hjr
if the car is older than 10 years (thats the cutoff) it needs a tech inspection sent to the ins. company to be insured.

What is a battle coupe?

not true, it depends on your insurance company, i ahve insure like 5 diffrent vehicles with my insurance company, not one of them Younger than 15 years old, and i have never had an insurance inspection... they said if i wanted hail coverage i woul dhave to go to the insurance company tso they can make sure there is no previous hail damage, but i declined the coverage because it wouldn't be worth it for me anyways, so a mechanic, nor my insurance company has seen any of my 5 pervious pre 1987 vehicles

hjr
05-23-2004, 10:09 AM
when you buy it and want to insure it and its older than 10 years at that date they are supposed to ask for and inspection. Bonus to you if the dont

H4LFY2nR
05-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Yeah it just depends on the insurance company. I have never been asked to go get an inspection, only for hail coverage I would need to take it to them to verify the condition of the body.

fast95pony
05-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Phone Race City and get the REAL answer...

88CRX
05-23-2004, 11:48 AM
there are exceptions..... there had been numerous NOT "street legal" cars racing @ secret street. so there must be some sort of exception to the rules.

Alpine Autowerks
06-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Check this link out

http://www.competition.ca/

Inthered
06-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by hjr

What is a battle coupe?

A battle coupe is a AE86 coupe for track use. The coupe's are stiffer so they tend to handle better stock. I would buy a hatchback and throw a "real" cage in there Redlyne.

Redlyne_mr2
06-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
Check this link out

http://www.competition.ca/
Whoa thanks alot for that link

Inthered, I've always prefered the hb's I am however selling mine and will be building a coupe which I have already aquired once I finish the mr2 in the next few months. Things change though, maybe in the end I'll build another hatch

syko
06-06-2004, 06:27 PM
I dont understand race cities rules about that stuff. They say street legal cars only, yet if you go there you will see that half, or more than half, of the cars that run there are drag only with no plates or anything. They bring them in on trailers... So if you werent allowed to race because of no insurance id raise hell with the race city officials.