PDA

View Full Version : Wtb: Laptop

Christoffski
05-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a laptop. I only want to spend $800. Going back to do some college upgrading. If you have one that you're looking to sell, let me know. I can get teh cash right away. Either PM or post here.

Thanks,
Chris

Christoffski
05-23-2004, 10:45 PM
bump

Kor
05-24-2004, 05:47 AM
Dell sells new ones for $999, its hard to justify a used one... thats why I don't have a laptop I guess :D

I have heard that from time to time you can get a new Laptop for around $800 if Staples.ca has a special and you use one of their infamous coupons.

Christoffski
05-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks Kor,

I've looked into both those avenues and currently there's nothing in my price range from there. Not even anything at the prices you suggested. But thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Chris

Kor
05-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Christoffski
Thanks Kor,

I've looked into both those avenues and currently there's nothing in my price range from there. Not even anything at the prices you suggested. But thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Chris

Yeah I checked out Staples after I posted, and they don't have any specials, plus the latest coupon is only $50 off.

But Dell.ca says that they price their New Latitude 100L series from $909 right now (+shipping) as an introduction.

This configuration would get you"

Celeron Processor 2.40GHz
128MB RAM (1 DIMM)
20GB HDD
24x CD-ROM
Free Memory Stick Key

Although I admit those specs are not awesome, they are better than most "used" laptops that people want to sell (eg. Pentium 3's).

Also, the RAM can be cheaply upgraded later if this is a major issue.... I would say better to get a new machine then upgrade it when you have more money than an old machine that you are stuck with.

Also, I found this site:

http://www.xpbargains.com/dell_coupons/

Some of the interesting coupons that would apply to a Latitude Notebook of this price would include a $100 mail-in rebate or double the memory for free (if these coupon codes do apply). Now, its a US site so they may not apply to Dell.ca (or they may). That would be $809 which is probably too good to be true. But if it only works in the US, you could order from dell.com. They have a $699 Inspiron 1150 which would be $950 CAN + shipping.

Well, just an option or two, its still going to cost you 900+shipping which is a lot, you may find someone willing to give you a better deal... I have seen the occasional really nice used laptop go for a good price.

3G
05-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Kor

Yeah I checked out Staples after I posted, and they don't have any specials, plus the latest coupon is only $50 off.

But Dell.ca says that they price their New Latitude 100L series from $909 right now (+shipping) as an introduction.

This configuration would get you"

Celeron Processor 2.40GHz
128MB RAM (1 DIMM)
20GB HDD
24x CD-ROM

Although I admit those specs are not awesome, they are better than most "used" laptops that people want to sell (eg. Pentium 3's).

Also, the RAM can be cheaply upgraded later if this is a major issue.... I would say better to get a new machine then upgrade it when you have more money than an old machine that you are stuck with.

Well, just an option, its still going to cost you 900+shipping which is a lot, you may find someone willing to give you a better deal... I have seen the occasional really nice used laptop go for a good price.

Like mine :D

Kor
05-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

Like mine :D

I didn't mean to imply anyone specifically good or bad...

BUT A used laptop can be worth way more than 900 bucks if it has some other features - for example, better integrated video, DVD drives, stuff like that which you don't get by buying the cheapest new PC you can find. So if you are selling one, this may be a better way to go!

But these features need to be weighed out depending on if the person would rather have them or a new machine with a warranty etc.

Christoffski
05-24-2004, 12:39 PM
I got one guys thanks for all your help.

Thanks,
Chris