PDA

View Full Version : What lane do you turn in?

barmanjay
05-24-2004, 02:54 AM
I've been driving in Calgary for almost 3 years now,..... and I had a cop get real pissed at me for this, obviously off duty,... but yelling and swearing as he passed by.

going east on 17th till you hit Mcleod.
now left turn is 2 lanes
Northbound Mcleod is 4 lanes
I was in the left side turning and went into the center left northbound lane,.... as I've done before following traffic in the past.
The cop was in the right side turn lane.
There are no dotted lines to mark what lane you're supposed to go to.

When I'm ever in the right side turning lane,... I ALWAYS go to the center right lane.

This happened a while ago,... and it's still eating at me,.... I need to know all of your thoughts on this one.

DefektiveVibe
05-24-2004, 03:09 AM
im confused...but what you did sounds about right...cops sometimes dont know the rules of the road either

speedracer
05-24-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay

I've been driving in Calgary for almost 3 years now,..... and I had a cop get real pissed at me for this, obviously off duty,... but yelling and swearing as he passed by.

going east on 17th till you hit Mcleod.
now left turn is 2 lanes
Northbound Mcleod is 4 lanes
I was in the left side turning and went into the center left northbound lane,.... as I've done before following traffic in the past.
The cop was in the right side turn lane.
There are no dotted lines to mark what lane you're supposed to go to.

When I'm ever in the right side turning lane,... I ALWAYS go to the center right lane.

This happened a while ago,... and it's still eating at me,.... I need to know all of your thoughts on this one.

Center left? You should be in the the left curb lane (West). I'm guessing you took lane 2 or 3 which is an illegal turn and would be the casue of an accident.

LOL Maybe it's time for refresher course in basic driving for Alberta ... ;)

http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca/Content/doctype45/images/79b.jpg

girlRACER
05-24-2004, 03:32 AM
^^I think Barmanjay said that it was a dual turning lane so I don't see what the problem is :dunno:

fast95pony
05-24-2004, 03:40 AM
^^^ D'oh !!! :rolleyes:

speedracer
05-24-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
^^I think Barmanjay said that it was a dual turning lane so I don't see what the problem is :dunno:
If he took "center left" (which I am guessing he means lane 2 :english: ). Then he's in the wrong lane.

Aleks
05-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER

The problem is that it's illegal and you're suppose to turn into the far left northbound lane like speedracer illustrated...I've seen people do this incorrectly many times.

benyl
05-24-2004, 07:47 AM
yup, speed racer right. People do the wrong thing on MacLeod to 4th Ave all the time as well. You are always supposed to go to the nearest lane. That goes just about anywhere, not just Calgary.

Gonthro
05-24-2004, 07:51 AM
this is very common tat the offramp from deerfoot south to memorial east, i have been in the outside lane and got nearly crunched several times, because i was tunring into the "proper" lane.

i know you're not supposed to do it, but for me, as a rule of thumb, if i am on the inside i turn to the inside most lane, if i am on the outside, i turn to atleast the 3rd lane, to avoid stupid people.

Kor
05-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro

i know you're not supposed to do it, but for me, as a rule of thumb, if i am on the inside i turn to the inside most lane, if i am on the outside, i turn to atleast the 3rd lane, to avoid stupid people.

Yeah I do this too sometimes to give the inside person more room... just have to make sure to watch your right-side so that no one coming the opposite direction is making a right turn into the same lane as you.

But, the way to do it as everyone mentioned is to take the closest lane.

Ben
05-24-2004, 09:32 AM
wish he'd given you a ticket, I've been cut off / almost sideswiped countless times by people like you who dont know how to drive.

Akagi Redsuns
05-24-2004, 09:51 AM
I can see why the cop was pissed, I would be to. Have had plently of occasions where people during dual turns forget which lane to go to or can't even keep within thier own lane resulting in near misses. Speedracer's linked picture to the gov site explains it all.

Gonthro
05-24-2004, 10:14 AM
here, i modified the picture :D

this is how things are SUPPOSED to work

Hakkola
05-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the second illustration, this is a huge problem on Heritage turning left onto 14th St as well.

eb0i
05-24-2004, 11:21 AM
What I hate is when I'm downtown and I'm on a one way road with dual turns onto another dual turn. I'm in the lane closes to the curb and the car to the left of me turns right on a red. Only the person nearest the curb can turn right on the red onto a one way street and the other lane has to wait for the green light to turn right!!!

4G63Power
05-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
What I hate is when I'm downtown and I'm on a one way road with dual turns onto another dual turn. I'm in the lane closes to the curb and the car to the left of me turns right on a red. Only the person nearest the curb can turn right on the red onto a one way street and the other lane has to wait for the green light to turn right!!!

false. i've asked a cop directly about this and he said, lane 1 closest to the curb turns into lane 1 closest to the curb. The second lane can then turn into the second lane from the curb.

Skylinelover
05-24-2004, 12:25 PM
So you turned from the lane closest to teh curb and went onto the lane closest to the curb and he went in the lane away from the curb and tried to turn into the lane closest to the curb?

eb0i
05-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 4G63Power

false. i've asked a cop directly about this and he said, lane 1 closest to the curb turns into lane 1 closest to the curb. The second lane can then turn into the second lane from the curb.

i'm talking about red light turns onto a one way street, not what lane you go in.....

4G63Power
05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

i'm talking about red light turns onto a one way street, not what lane you go in.....

So am I. On a red light, from a one-way to a one-way, both turning lanes can turn into their respective lanes.

GTS Jeff
05-24-2004, 03:00 PM
lol of course if ure in lane 1 u turn into lane and if ure in lane 2 then u turn into lane 2...technically!

but a lot of ppl dont do that, so just go with the flow, unless theres a cop around.

Gonthro
05-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
lol of course if ure in lane 1 u turn into lane and if ure in lane 2 then u turn into lane 2...technically!

but a lot of ppl dont do that, so just go with the flow, unless theres a cop around.

go with the flow so you can be at fault and buy someone a new car??

Ben
05-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Dude, thats the least intelligent thing I've heard you say in a while man, going with the flow only applies to the speed of traffic on major roads, not keeping in the same lane when turning. Just cause someone else doesn't know how to stay in a lne when turning a corner, doesn't mean I should follow suit and risk an accident. STAY IN YOUR LANE AT ALL TIMES. Cutting people off is wrong, especially when they are ignorant of it, cause then when you give them the 1 finger salute they dont even know why they are recieving it.

Maxt
05-24-2004, 05:14 PM
I was checking the online Alberta drivers handbook and found this..

barmanjay
05-24-2004, 05:45 PM
wow,... didn't think this would create such a big discussion.

Well I'm glad everything is cleared up about turning,... just getting a little rusty and careless i guess,..... I almost never take the inside turning lane,.. I feel too 'closed in' for accidents.

What the handbook says is right,.... but because there are rusty ppl out there like me,... there should be dotted lines,.... like there are from 4th ave westbound to 5th st southbound SW.

Gonthro
05-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
wow,... didn't think this would create such a big discussion.

Well I'm glad everything is cleared up about turning,... just getting a little rusty and careless i guess,..... I almost never take the inside turning lane,.. I feel too 'closed in' for accidents.

What the handbook is right,.... but because there are rusty ppl out there like me,... there should be dotted lines,.... like from 4th ave westbound to 5th st southbound SW.

they usually do that, but with so many people not obeying them they just get worn off anyways. its a waste of our money. they should just make sure people know how to drive before they give them a license.

Jynx
05-24-2004, 06:01 PM
just a question about another lane turn

when turning off 16th west(I THINK) on to deerfoot south theirs like 3 or 4 lanes 2 turn into
the two to the left go back on 16th cept theother way, while the right to go to deerfoot south

is it legal to turn rite into the 3rd lane to go onto the foot??

ExtremeSi
05-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Ben
wish he'd given you a ticket, I've been cut off / almost sideswiped countless times by people like you who dont know how to drive.
:werd: This is one of my biggest annonyances with drivers! I absolutely hate it when they turn into the wrong lane causing you to swerve far over so they won't hit you. I wailed my horn at one guy once and he just kept coming and then proceeded to blow right through a red light shortly after! stupid stupid...

GTS Jeff
05-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Dude, thats the least intelligent thing I've heard you say in a while man, going with the flow only applies to the speed of traffic on major roads, not keeping in the same lane when turning. Just cause someone else doesn't know how to stay in a lne when turning a corner, doesn't mean I should follow suit and risk an accident. STAY IN YOUR LANE AT ALL TIMES. Cutting people off is wrong, especially when they are ignorant of it, cause then when you give them the 1 finger salute they dont even know why they are recieving it. alright well let me explain my last comment since it does sound really ignorant.

what i mean is if all the cars in front of u are turning from lane 1 to lane 2 while all the cars in lane 2 are turning into lane 3, then yes technically u are still supposed to turn into lane 1, but its sort of pointless since everyone and their passenger knows that cars are going from 1 -> 2 and from 2->3.

usually drivers will only do this on roads with more than 2 lanes (if there are only 2 lanes, then u are just asking for a collision), and when there is a good reason to not go into lane 1, ie. an obstruction or maybe lane 1 turns into a must exit lane the next block.

i hope that clears it up. ill also add that i always do these sorts of turns in the safest way possible and i always check to make sure im not sideswiping the outside lane turners. :thumbsup:

5.9 R/T
05-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 4G63Power

So am I. On a red light, from a one-way to a one-way, both turning lanes can turn into their respective lanes.

Really? I always thought the second (outside) lane could not turn unless they had a green.

girlRACER
05-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by altima

The problem is that it's illegal and you're suppose to turn into the far left northbound lane like speedracer illustrated...I've seen people do this incorrectly many times.

:confused: I made a mistake. I thought he said he was in the right lane.

4G63Power
05-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Really? I always thought the second (outside) lane could not turn unless they had a green.

I'm just going by what a cop told me.

ExtremeSi
05-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

In the drivers' handbook it says it is permitted. And I was told by my driving instructor that it is as well, so I'm pretty sure it is allowed unless there is a sign saying otherwise.

barmanjay
05-25-2004, 12:06 AM
you guys should check out that intersection and see how many ppl made the same mistake I did.

I', almost willing to place a bet that 90% of the ppl turning do exactly what my mistake was,....... freaky!

sexualbanana
05-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

In the drivers' handbook it says it is permitted. And I was told by my driving instructor that it is as well, so I'm pretty sure it is allowed unless there is a sign saying otherwise.

I was told way back in my Driver's ed class that it was illegal

Zero102
05-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Hmm. I always make the turn from a 1 way to a 1 way on a red, provided I'm in a turn lane. I was under the impression that if the lane is an optional turn (i.e. straight, or turn) that you cannot turn on the red, but if it is a must turn lane, you can.
I am not 100% sure on that though. Did make a turn like this (second lane from the curb) right beside a cop, and didn't get so much as a dirty look.

Fuck, that memorial turn is hell (S.B. deerfoot to E.B. memorial).
I as well have made the habit of taking the thrid lane from the outside of the turn. Been hit there before. The other guy got the ticket, but it's just not worth the trouble or the pain.

I wish people in this city could learn to read the freaking driver's manual before they get out on the roads. Dual/triple turns are the worst. Have had too many close calls there.

qrankz
05-25-2004, 04:57 AM
I also hate it when people stop to yield instead of merge or don't realize they have their own lane after a turn.

Gonthro
05-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by qrankz
I also hate it when people stop to yield instead of merge or don't realize they have their own lane after a turn.

:werd:

alot of people in this city need to learn the diffrence between yield and merge. (especially on deerfoot under mcknight, that one is a YIELD PEOPLE NOT A MERGE!!!)

Moonracer
05-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Ok just to clarify, it IS legal to turn left on a red light from a one way to a one way in any of the designated turning lanes unless otherwise posted! No really, I'm an ex-driving instructor....;)

Akagi Redsuns
05-25-2004, 12:18 PM

:werd:

alot of people in this city need to learn the diffrence between yield and merge. (especially on deerfoot under mcknight, that one is a YIELD PEOPLE NOT A MERGE!!!)

I think some of these Yield signs are pure BS and should be a merge. Have you ever gone to Southbound Deerfoot from Sarcee Trail? It says Yield, but if you do....you will be there forever and would taking your life in your hands when you decide to go from a full stop since there is a curve and can't see any oncoming cars until it's too late. I have never yield, just accelerate to 100km/hr, use the short lane as a merge lane and find a gap damn fast and merge in. I have seen maybe 2 people yield at that location in my years of driving in Calgary.

rage2
05-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I know TONS of ppl make this mistake. I work downtown and make the 6th Ave SW --> 8th Street SW left turn (dual turning lane) and pretty much every day I get close to getting nailed there turning in from the outside lane... ppl in the curb lane turns into MY turn lane.

What's funny is after I honk at them, they honk back and gimme the finger, so I think these ppl have absolutely no idea how to make those turns properly.

Khyron
05-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Well the city isn't innocent - have you seen the Westhills lanes? (Southbound Sarcee onto east Richmond?) The dotted lines direct the turning cars into the 2nd farthest lanes - but if you go too far over you're back on Sarcee again. Works ok until it SNOWS and you can't see the guides (they're almost worn away now).

Khyron

Moonracer
05-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Well if life were perfect we wouldn't exist! :D

Alexs
05-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Ok just to clarify, it IS legal to turn left on a red light from a one way to a one way in any of the designated turning lanes unless otherwise posted! No really, I'm an ex-driving instructor....;)

I have a few questions for you please. Since you were a driving instructor you must know for sure the right answers to these questions I accumulated through my 3 years of driving. If anyone else knows for sure please feel me in.

1. When a car merges under a "merge" sign and causes an accident, which car is at fault? Is it a merging car or the car in the right lane? Do you have to give the right of way to a merging car or is it a gesture of courtesy?

2. How long do you have to wait at a red light/turn or Stop sign before proceeding? (Is it 3 seconds?)

3. Does the rule "a car on the right has the right of way on the unregulated intersection? I've never seen Albertans obeying this common to other parts of the world rule.

4. Is a left turn on the red light allowed from, the second left designated turning lane?

Thank you very much.

Khyron
05-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Alexs

1. When a car merges under a "merge" sign and causes an accident, which car is at fault? Is it a merging car or the car in the right lane? Do you have to give the right of way to a merging car or is it a gesture of courtesy?

2. How long do you have to wait at a red light/turn or Stop sign before proceeding? (Is it 3 seconds?)

3. Does the rule "a car on the right has the right of way on the unregulated intersection? I've never seen Albertans obeying this common to other parts of the world rule.

4. Is a left turn on the red light allowed from, the second left designated turning lane?

Thank you very much.

1. Both cars are equal. It would be like two people turning left and hitting each other.

2. Every rule I've seen says the wheels must stop turning (ie, complete stop). You don't have to sit there and it's certainly not 3 seconds. :eek: (If it is, I'll gladly keep breaking that rule).

3. Uncontrolled intersection, you yield to the car on the right. This INCLUDES T intersections which totally screws people up (you can have someone going straight have to yield to someone turning left).

4. I assume you're turning left from a 1 way street onto another 1 way street (otherwise a left on red is never legal). If there's 2 turning lanes, I treat it just like the right turn lanes, but I don't know for sure. See the picture earlier in the thread for the only case of left on red.

Khyron

Moonracer
05-25-2004, 05:16 PM

I have a few questions for you please. Since you were a driving instructor you must know for sure the right answers to these questions I accumulated through my 3 years of driving. If anyone else knows for sure please feel me in.

Thank you very much.

Kryron has it down pretty good...lol

1. At a merge both motorists have equal rights. You must make a gap for the merging vehicle to get in and the merging vehicle must accelerate to the speed of traffic to get into that gap. So if you don't make a gap for merging traffic and it causes an accident then you may be at fault.

2. The 3 second rule is only a defensive driving tip just to help insure you have had time to check for traffic, it's not a law you only need to make sure your wheels stop turning then you may go when safe.

3. At an uncontrolled intersection the person on the right always has the right away even at a T intersection. People rarely obey that one so be careful.

4. Yes the second and third lane even, as long as there is a sign saying you can turn from that lane. Just remember that's only for turning left one way to one way.

Happy driving :) lol I should start a weekly column

Gonthro
05-25-2004, 05:23 PM

2. The 3 second rule is only a defensive driving tip just to help insure you have had time to check for traffic, it's not a law you only need to make sure your wheels stop turning then you may go when safe.

so if i slam on my breaks and lock up all 4 i dont physically have to stop?? :rofl: :rofl:

Moonracer
05-25-2004, 05:33 PM

so if i slam on my breaks and lock up all 4 i dont physically have to stop?? :rofl: :rofl:

I think you know the answer to that.

Had to be one smartass....:rolleyes: :D

Alexs
05-25-2004, 05:33 PM

1. At a merge both motorists have equal rights. You must make a gap for the merging vehicle to get in and the merging vehicle must accelerate to the speed of traffic to get into that gap. So if you don't make a gap for merging traffic and it causes an accident then you may be at fault.

If I am not mistaken, when 2 cars on a road with 3 lanes change lanes into the middle lane from right and left, the car on the left has to yeld. Doesn't that rule apply to the merging situation above?

Gonthro
05-25-2004, 05:39 PM
yea, my assumption was always that merging is equal responsability, but 99% of the time, the person that is crossing the dotted line is at fault in an accident.

Moonracer
05-25-2004, 05:53 PM

If I am not mistaken, when 2 cars on a road with 3 lanes change lanes into the middle lane from right and left, the car on the left has to yeld. Doesn't that rule apply to the merging situation above?

If you decide to make a lane change to make a gap for merging traffic then the onis is on you to do safely as any other lane change.

Moonracer
05-25-2004, 05:55 PM
yea, my assumption was always that merging is equal responsability, but 99% of the time, the person that is crossing the dotted line is at fault in an accident.

Nope not true, just depends who didn't do or handle the merge properly and if there are witnesses to prove it.

Khyron
05-25-2004, 07:11 PM

Nope not true, just depends who didn't do or handle the merge properly and if there are witnesses to prove it.

What are your thoughts on a 2 way stop intersection with 1 person that was there first turning left, and the other person who arrived second (but is stopped) going straight?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41299 for reference, but ignore any drama/flame baiting.

Khyron

Moonracer
05-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

What are your thoughts on a 2 way stop intersection with 1 person that was there first turning left, and the other person who arrived second (but is stopped) going straight?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41299 for reference, but ignore any drama/flame baiting.

Khyron

The car going straight has the right of way. If the person who arrived first is turning left and has a chance to go before the person across from them has even stopped then by all means they should go. But if you can't make the turn by the time the straight car has stopped then you must wait for them first. So even if you have been waiting to turn for a minute or so, if someone going straight happens along the you have to wait for them to go first still.
Hope that makes sense.

Gonthro
05-26-2004, 07:59 AM

The car going straight has the right of way. If the person who arrived first is turning left and has a chance to go before the person across from them has even stopped then by all means they should go. But if you can't make the turn by the time the straight car has stopped then you must wait for them first. So even if you have been waiting to turn for a minute or so, if someone going straight happens along the you have to wait for them to go first still.
Hope that makes sense.

doens't that defeat the whole purpose of a 4 way stop... it should be whoever stops first, goes first, unless 2 people stop at the same time, thne its the person to the right.

Akagi Redsuns
05-26-2004, 08:09 AM

doens't that defeat the whole purpose of a 4 way stop... it should be whoever stops first, goes first, unless 2 people stop at the same time, thne its the person to the right.

Gonthro, Moonracer's response was to the quoted question......which is for a 2 way stop not for a 4-way.

Originally posted by Khyron

What are your thoughts on a 2 way stop intersection with 1 person that was there first turning left, and the other person who arrived second (but is stopped) going straight?...........snip

Gonthro
05-26-2004, 08:14 AM
oh, ok... well then that makes sense, sorry.

Moonracer
05-26-2004, 09:23 AM
lol :thumbsup:

Khyron
05-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Yah I knew that rule and have always followed it.

My issue is that it's not documented anywhere. The drivers instruction manual has NOTHING concerning this case (it deals with 4 way stops) and any of the Calgary traffic websites ignore it as well.

Hell, when I asked the cops I got a few different answers, as Calgary seems to be the only place with that rule (or, more accurately no rule, therefore the generic "Do not turn left if you will interfere with any traffic in any direction" law applies).

I had a guy follow me home in his big pickup truck because I went straight first even though he'd been waiting to turn left. I called him out but he took off so he'll still be thinking he was in the right.

Khyron

Moonracer
05-26-2004, 01:00 PM
^^^ ok so you are not asking about a two way stop then, but a 4-way stop? In which case whoever stops first has the right of way. If you stop at the same time as a person across from you turning left then straight has the right of way.

Khyron
05-26-2004, 03:14 PM
^^^ ok so you are not asking about a two way stop then, but a 4-way stop? In which case whoever stops first has the right of way. If you stop at the same time as a person across from you turning left then straight has the right of way.

No, I'm talking about 2 way stops not being documented. The rule is straight has right of way - just try and prove it.

Khyron

Moonracer
05-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Ok well that's easy, the rule applies where you yeild to oncoming traffic when turning left either at a light or stop signs. I don't have a basic drivers handbook in front of me but that most certainly should be in there.

Khyron
05-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Ah but it doesn't (at least not the online version of the complete drivers manual). The only reference is 4 way stops in which case the person there first goes. This first come first go rule applies to 2-way stops pretty much everywhere except Calgary. Both have their pros and cons - I just want it made clear to the masses or our next generation of drivers is going to be a pain in the ass.

Khyron