PDA

View Full Version : Anyobody that wants a digital rebel check this out

Gonthro
05-25-2004, 11:52 AM
just a local auction i found while searching ebay... its a hell of a deal and its local so you save the shipping... (no this is NOT my auction, and no i do not know the person, i just wanted to give people the heads up of they are consitering this purchase)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3817241222&rd=1

import_azn
05-25-2004, 04:35 PM
that camera was just in an ad for $1298

Ben
05-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by import_azn
that camera was just in an ad for $1298

Without Lens. Also, take the time to actually read the auction, it comes with a ton of extras that would set you back another grand in the store.

Thanks for comng out :)

Gonthro
05-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Without Lens. Also, take the time to actually read the auction, it comes with a ton of extras that would set you back another grand in the store.

:werd:

the cam without lens and stuff is $1300, with the kit lens is $1500, and this guy has the kit and is throwing in a grip $150 value an extra battery $100 value a 70-300usm lens $300 value and 2 hoods (probaby atleast $100) and a flash $200 value....

edit, oh, and the remote, which is like $50 i think

if i didn't just buy one i'd snatch this up for sure.

so thats a total value of like $2400 + tax

C4S
05-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Ben

$ 1,298 with kit lens ( plus tax,@ sound surround ) I basically almost bought it, and I had one Kit on hold (actually, I got even slightly lower price). However, couldn't resist the D70H ... :(

Anyway, if can get all those stuffs for $1,800 area, or even under $2,000 Still a very good deal !

300D is still an awesome camera, I took one out for the weekend, and love it ! the qulity different between the D70H and 300D ... is very very small .. but more lens to chose from Canon, however, have to give big credit for the Nikon's flash.

Ben
05-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Right on, Buying pro Camera equipment from a shitty retailer, cause they'll be able to answer all your pro photo questions, haha.

Sorry, I only buy from Camera specific stores where you actually get service and knowledge included in the purchase price. When serching for the best price I only search camera specific stores.

Cheers

Ichigo
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Sweet.. I always wanted to pick one up..

Question.. I was told that you cannot use the LCD display as a viewfinder (only show's you pictures that have been taken).. is this true??

Ben
05-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
Sweet.. I always wanted to pick one up..

Question.. I was told that you cannot use the LCD display as a viewfinder (only show's you pictures that have been taken).. is this true??

Yes, this is true. It's an SLR camera in every way, shape, form, and function, aside from using film.

Kor
05-26-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro

the cam without lens and stuff is $1300,

You can get just the camera body (no lenses) for ~$600 US now online, if you look....so about $800 Can. But I don't honestly have a clue what the different lenses are worth.

benyl
05-26-2004, 06:48 AM
woah, that is an awesome deal. I am almost tempted to buy it and then just sell off the camera kit.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Dons Photo (17th ave SW and 11th st SW) has the Rebel w/ lens for $1295.

IMO the other stuff included in that auction isnt really worth buying with the exception of the grip.

benyl
05-26-2004, 07:20 AM
yeah, that is what I want to buy... I am thinking of another BH mass purchase in the next couple of days. Going to go to Vistek today to see if they can match the prices as CDN $ has lost some value.

Gonthro
05-26-2004, 08:16 AM
benyl, if you buy it i'll buy the et-60 hood, the flash and the remote off you if you are intrested.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by benyl
yeah, that is what I want to buy... I am thinking of another BH mass purchase in the next couple of days. Going to go to Vistek today to see if they can match the prices as CDN $ has lost some value.

Dont waste your time with Vistek. Don's will beat ANY of their prices.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 08:22 AM
benyl, if you buy it i'll buy the et-60 hood, the flash and the remote off you if you are intrested.

I think hes just talking about buying a grip.

Gonthro
05-26-2004, 08:23 AM
woah, that is an awesome deal. I am almost tempted to buy it and then just sell off the camera kit.

so i figured if he didn't need the remote and flash ect... he could sell it to me..

Originally posted by sputnik

i asked dons if thye could match a price i found on ebay for a kit with extra lens and CF cards they said they couldn't even think about matching it.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 08:32 AM

so i figured if he didn't need the remote and flash ect... he could sell it to me..

He doesnt even need the camera. So why would he buy something to part out 90% of it. Why dont you buy the kit and sell the grip to him.

i asked dons if thye could match a price i found on ebay for a kit with extra lens and CF cards they said they couldn't even think about matching it.

The problem with many ebay sales of Canon gear is that you get TONS of grey market gear from Hong Kong. If Don's cant beat it, its because the price you have is lower than cost. Which means no one in CANADA can beat it. Which usually means you are buying either USED gear with a shortened warranty or grey market gear with NO warranty.

Gonthro
05-26-2004, 08:37 AM
this stuff all came with a canada/us registration and warrenty avaliable, even the accessories, but there is no point arguing about it.

Ben
05-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Kor

You can get just the camera body (no lenses) for ~$600 US now online, if you look....so about $800 Can. But I don't honestly have a clue what the different lenses are worth.

Have fun returning and waranteeing it if it breaks. I would rather deal with a local shop where if mine breaks I get a loaner till it's fixed.

Lens' range anywhere from $500 (cheaper lens' suck) to $10000+
Lens' that I would use and require on a daily basis are in the 1000-4000 dollar range.

benyl
05-26-2004, 09:38 AM
haha, yeah I am only interested in the grip.

As much as I want to buy local, I bought all of my lenses from the states... it saved me $1100. Worth the hassle.... to me anyway.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 10:16 AM
this stuff all came with a canada/us registration and warrenty avaliable, even the accessories, but there is no point arguing about it.

Yeah... a warranty that is already a year old.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 10:17 AM
haha, yeah I am only interested in the grip.

As much as I want to buy local, I bought all of my lenses from the states... it saved me $1100. Worth the hassle.... to me anyway.

B&H is my choice when the local guys cant match them. You just have to be careful when you do your math.

:D

Kor
05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree warranty from online purchases is often a problem.

However, if I can pay 750 can for the body online or 1300 can in town, I will take my 550 dollars and use that as my own personal warranty fund...

Its just personal choice I guess, I can't afford even 500 for a digital camera so I am not sure why I am reading this thread at all...

Ben
05-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Kor
I agree warranty from online purchases is often a problem.

However, if I can pay 750 can for the body online or 1300 can in town, I will take my 550 dollars and use that as my own personal warranty fund...

Its just personal choice I guess, I can't afford even 500 for a digital camera so I am not sure why I am reading this thread at all...
Also keep in mind, shipping, taxes and duties will add up to another 100 bucks. And for 1400 you get the lens' You'll have to spend anohter couple hundred to get a lens. Not worth it when buying something like that and only saving a couple hun, especially with warranty isses. Buying online is good for some, not for others, depends on your priorities.

benyl
05-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

I just got myself a grip. They came to within $3 of BH's price... Shipping would have cost me $20 USD.

Goto Don's... And yes, I went to Vistek first.

Sputnik has converted me to a Don's photo guy.

sputnik
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM

Sputnik has converted me to a Don's photo guy.

Heh... nice! Did you deal with Derrick?

What was the price difference between Don's and Vistek? My boss just bought a Sony DSC-T1 for $749 from Don's ($849 at Vistek).

Ben
05-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Cool, I'll check it out. if it's a matter of a couple of bucks who cares, but when it's 3 digits, thats a big deal.

benyl
05-26-2004, 04:25 PM
I don't want to post prices... cause neither are sponsors of Beyond.

I did deal with Derrick.

With B&H, with all the stuff I bought, I would have saved $490 CDN without shipping. At Don's, I saved $362 CDN over Vistek's listed prices on their website. Vistek wasn't keen on moving too much on their price, but at the same time I wasn't dealing with the guy I normally deal with...

With Shipping from BH ($90) and the fees that UPS charges (about $15), I would have saved $30 by buying at B&H. I am more than happy to have a local guy make some money off me, cause $30 is not worth the hassle if I had to return the products.

C4S
05-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I find that The Camera Store is pretty good, their price are usually 5% less ( ie $1,349 for rebel kit, vs $1,399 at Vistek or london drug , D70 $1849 vs $1899 )

Anyway, most Store are willing to do prices match, and they know that buying from US ( or elsewhere ) will be much cheaper, however, may not have warranty. :(

For spending $3,000 plus on D-SLR ( with gears ) is a big investment ( well, less then car ... ) it is good to save some money, however, I still don't know how realiable on those D-SLR, my film SLR is super realiable for last 12 years, however .. anything "digital" ... better buy locally, and with full warranty.

For me, the only gear I didn't buy from major camera shop, is my tele lens. since Nikon lens are usually realiable, but for Camera, Flash ..etc stuff .. just like Ben said, I rather stay with local camera shop.

By the way, anyone knows about NIKON warranty ? I know Canon offer world warranty, I bought my stuffs from Hong Kong, and I can get warranty fix here, however, I heard Nikon Canada won't even look at anything from US or any non-Canada country .. ? :dunno: :dunno: