PDA

View Full Version : SAIT reguarding laptops?

teknical
05-26-2004, 10:08 AM
I"ll be attending Business Administration in the Fall and am looking at purchasing a laptop, just cause it's alot easier to keep everything together, and much better then writing notes imo.

Just wondering if I have to rent/buy one from SAIT, or can I purchase my own?

Melinda
05-26-2004, 10:13 AM
As far as I know, Business admin students get a laptop given to them for the 2 years they are there. It is a rental thing and yes you have to use theirs due to the programs on there and the network configurations to be able to access different drives and servers around the school. After you are done your program you can buy your laptop but the hard drive will be completely cleaned off.

Davetronz
05-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Yea they wouldnt let me use my laptop, you have to use theirs... The ones they give you arent bad... But if you are a computer guy then you wont consider them "good".....

Weapon_R
05-26-2004, 11:54 AM
You get your own when you are in business admin. For the whole 2 years.

SI-vic
05-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Yeah you HAVE TO rent their laptops.
They have programs that they install onto the laptops and have it all set up for you.

Chester
05-26-2004, 02:04 PM
is this for all programs that require a laptop? like you cant use your own?

Melinda
05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
As already said 3 or 4 times, you must use one of SAIT's laptops, not your own

teknical
05-26-2004, 04:32 PM
damn, I found one heck of a deal on a sweet laptop, oh well :(

EDIT: Does SAIT keep up to date reguarding hardware, software, etc.?

KELSTAR
05-26-2004, 09:04 PM
SAIT is a technical institute which means they keep up to date with everything. I've been there for 2 years and each year I've seen new lap tops. They also have the best anti virus programs (if you guys care).

BigBanana

teknical
05-27-2004, 01:48 PM
are great, thanks alot kelstar.

SNIPE22
06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Sadly they don't allow outside Notebooks just as Melinda said, but before I could read this post I contacted the e-learning coordinator & the course coordinator; at first they said it was not allow because of software licensing laws, so I ask them if that was the only problem and they said yes, so I contacted a few engineering software developers about the licence issue, and they said that they release versions of software like autocad 2005 for students licence for 1 year is only 130CDN, and around the same price for other pricy programs or even cheaper all you have to prove is that you are attending a post-secondary technology institute and they issues the licence for you, and more software manufactures have the same programs; so I told that to the e-learning coordinator and ask her if she could tell me the software needed for my course, so I could purchase the licence now and she shot me down almost immediately and said that I CANNOT use my own laptop period.

So like everything else at SAIT, is just another way to get more money out of you and all the software issues that you will not be able to access its servers or programs you won't be able to buy since they are too expensive is all BS.

I am just wondering if there is any way to challenge this issue with their stupid E-learning policy since some of us, bought notebooks before we even knew it was not allow?:confused:

QuA
06-05-2004, 12:19 PM
When I graduated from SAIT they put out false information on graduates in our program. They printed out on all the calendars that 90% of us had jobs after completing the program when only maybe 5 people out of 30 students did. We contacted SAIT and that lazy Irene Lewis president just ignored our complaints.

teknical
06-05-2004, 03:46 PM
so you completed business admin and only 5 out of 30 actually got jobs?

QuA
06-05-2004, 03:47 PM
I completed BA and Network Enginner Technology. Network Engineering was the program that was poorly put together.

Originally posted by teknical
so you completed business admin and only 5 out of 30 actually got jobs?

in*10*se
06-05-2004, 04:37 PM
go to university... jesus... at least you come out knowing that you have a better chance than any other applied degree/diploma

not to knock sait or mrc.... just university for business is the way to go... period

don't start flaming....:rolleyes:

teknical
06-06-2004, 09:42 PM
ah
cause I'm stuck between business admin and mechanics, I"m signed up for ba, but If its not good I"ll move to mech.

was ba a good course?

max_boost
06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Business Administration is a good program, you have a few options to further your education by pursuing a degree at various Universities. I suggest you major in either Accounting or Finance. Management is rather general and Marketing is useless IMO. I majored in Marketing and I don't know what I learnt?:dunno: :rofl:

max_boost
06-06-2004, 09:49 PM
With regards to the laptop, you pay a Technology Access Fee every semester ($399) and at the end of your program, you have the option to purchase it and the prices are fairly low/affordable. It's almost like renting/leasing to own.

As for the false statistics, I don't think they are false. Remember, it's not hard finding a job, I find most people are generally picky about what they do. Also, the salary ranges from $18K-$100K so there are a wide variety of jobs out there. Of course the school has to make their stats look good, or else who would attend? :D

teknical
06-07-2004, 03:56 PM
alright great, so business would be good? or should i switch to mechanics?

Melinda
06-07-2004, 04:24 PM
alright great, so business would be good? or should i switch to mechanics?
you can do alot more with business training than you can with mechanics

teknical
06-08-2004, 09:23 PM
alright, sounds good. I really like cars, thats why I'm kinda hesitant, but whatever gets me a better chance of getting a job works for me.

max_boost
06-08-2004, 09:28 PM
alright, sounds good. I really like cars, thats why I'm kinda hesitant, but whatever gets me a better chance of getting a job works for me. There's money to be made in any field, depends how good you are at it. You should try to find something you enjoy, don't take something just because it may get you a better job. My two cents......

teknical
06-08-2004, 10:08 PM
well I'm a comp/car person, I am pretty sure I could handle accounting pretty easily, so I'll probably go with that.

max_boost
06-08-2004, 10:21 PM
well I'm a comp/car person, I am pretty sure I could handle accounting pretty easily, so I'll probably go with that. Accounting is a lot tougher than people think.......50% pass fail for Financial Accounting I and that's the first Accounting course:rofl:

pooky
08-07-2004, 11:20 PM
hwat kind of computers do they use? i heard they are toshiba centriums....something liek that??