PDA

View Full Version : Non-WRX Impreza: Still buckets of fun?

dugrant153
05-27-2004, 03:18 AM
Just wondering how you non-WRX Impreza owners feel about your cars?

Obviously, the WRX will blow the doors of the other Impreza (stock for stock), but I'm wondering if even at 144hp and 165 hp (EJ22 and EJ25) the cars are still fun and aren't as slow most people say.

I did test drive an automatic Forester (EJ25) and found it to feel "bulky" during acceleration. But maybe that's the AWD, and maybe I'm just used to the quick juice of quick power transfer to front wheels only.

Weapon_R
05-27-2004, 03:20 AM
My friend owns one (160 hp) and its an absolute blast to drive. I have long considered trading my car in for a used Imprezza.

Kor
05-27-2004, 05:32 AM
My friend has a white imprezza (rs?) and its a great car. It feels faster than the 140hp or whatever it has stock. It is really solidly built, and the stock suspension is awesome (I like it better than any other car company's suspension). Definitely get the 5-speed manual if you are looking at one.

For the money I am not sure it would be the car for me, I am too performance-oriented. But I think most people would like the car.

Xtrema
05-27-2004, 09:30 AM
They are fun but they are not that great on gas for a small car. I believe the 2.5L manual AWD waste as much gas as my Nissan's 3.5L auto FWD - averaging around 9.5L/100km.

But they are fun and a good choice. And a brand new TS wagon is really a bargain even at MSRP.

GC84ever
05-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by dugrant153

Obviously, the WRX will blow the doors of the other Impreza (stock for stock), but I'm wondering if even at 144hp and 165 hp (EJ22 and EJ25) the cars are still fun and aren't as slow most people say.

I did test drive an automatic Forester (EJ25) and found it to feel "bulky" during acceleration. But maybe that's the AWD, and maybe I'm just used to the quick juice of quick power transfer to front wheels only.

I have a 01 RS and I love it. It's the EJ25 with 165hp & 166lb-ft. I do admit i would love a turbo EJ20 (eventually I will do a JDM swap it:D ). But for now it's the enough power for me to have fun with. Some other impreza owners have said RS can get the jump on WRX's, but once the turbo kicks in the WRX's are gone.
With the RS all the torque is available @ 4000rpm. It's so much fun having some of the power going to the rear wheels instead of just the front.
Yes, Impreza's are fast cars. The AWD is a bit of a penalty in wieght right off the line. but AWD is all about traction. Other RS owners have said if you want to drag/burnouts you're better off with a Integra or mustang. but for everything else Subaru AWD give great traction everywhere.
As for the bulky acceleration. It could be the wieght of the forester (I don't know how much it is). but it could also be the power distribution. In AT I believe it's set for 90f/10r but more can be sent to the rear when needed. I got a MT because I wanted the 50/50 power distribution.

If you want more info about Impreza's from more knowledgable owners visit http://www.nasioc.com/ .

T5_X
05-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
They are fun but they are not that great on gas for a small car. I believe the 2.5L manual AWD waste as much gas as my Nissan's 3.5L auto FWD - averaging around 9.5L/100km.

But they are fun and a good choice. And a brand new TS wagon is really a bargain even at MSRP.

:werd: They are the gas guzzlers of any of the compact cars. I think its a good trade-off though, especially in the winter.

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 12:58 PM
i have a 2004 whtie impreza i'm selling it for a wrx.

they are alright too smooth of a ride to be a car for me. i'd say it doens't pull hard enough to get full use of it. thing you'll notice is if you drive it u don't feel the sucking back motion of speed behind the wheel. there is lots of body roll on the impreza needs a sway bar and to be lowered. front end heavy rear end light is a problem with this too. car is only as fast as a civic SiR. you can all bash me for that comment but it's true. i drive it and i'm a subby lover getting a wrx impreza just doesn't cut it for me

my 2 cents

That.Guy.S30
05-27-2004, 01:01 PM
^^ man, you are not pushing the car enough. lol cuz i know my car will do that. but you right on body roll, great to do doughnuts in tho!! i also want a rex!!! hahah

hatetank
05-27-2004, 01:27 PM
I bought an '02 WRX for the same price as an '04 RS.

dugrant153
05-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by hatetank
I bought an '02 WRX for the same price as an '04 RS.

oooh ooh! details details, please :D
This was something I was seriously considering.
Mileage? Problems? Price (well, 27k about I guess)?

Or, PM me if ya want to :)

hatetank
05-27-2004, 03:22 PM

oooh ooh! details details, please :D
This was something I was seriously considering.
Mileage? Problems? Price (well, 27k about I guess)?

Or, PM me if ya want to :)

No problems at all -- I bought if for 27K in december w/ 31,000kms -- MINT CONDITION.

Originally I was going to buy a 2004 WRX but instead I saved ~13K and bought an '02 (FYI - I prefer the bugeyes that most people hate :) )

Canadian 2.5RS
05-27-2004, 08:22 PM
go to the vancouver forum on www.nasioc.com and see if someone will take you for a spirited test drive. cant hurt to ask.

dugrant153
05-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by hatetank

No problems at all -- I bought if for 27K in december w/ 31,000kms -- MINT CONDITION.

Originally I was going to buy a 2004 WRX but instead I saved ~13K and bought an '02 (FYI - I prefer the bugeyes that most people hate :) )

The cool thing about that is you don't have to pay PDI *PLUS* the extra tax involved from buying a new car. :D

go to the vancouver forum on www.nasioc.com and see if someone will take you for a spirited test drive. cant hurt to ask.

I know one or two people there, but they all got GC's :) But I'll definitely see if I can arrange it. That would probably set me straight :p

Drew
05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
01 RS and i love the thing, needs some more suspension work but even just lowered plus the boxer engine with the lower center of gravity and man i have fun on corners. But seriously, this thing is fun plus living in calgary i get my car for a whole year rather than just the superbike season.....

That.Guy.S30
05-27-2004, 11:17 PM
so did anyone hear about how some subaru dealership in winnapeg or somethin is becoming a vendor for cobb tuning? shit now i want to mod up my car. lol

NOWHERE
05-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Wow that would be cool:thumbsup:

dugrant153
05-31-2004, 12:27 AM
how is the WRX for daily driving?
I know this is has probably been beaten on quite a few times, but after reading reviews that the engine doesn't really come alive until 3000 rpm or so (when the turbo comes up), I'm wondering just how practical the WRX will be as a city driver.

I figure the only real way to use all the power of the WRX is to take trips to Whistler and Banff, and also do track racing and auto X? In these ways, the car can fully stretch its legs.

Also, does the WRX save gas from spooling the turbo a bit, or staying under turbo rpm (3000 rpm)?

hatetank
05-31-2004, 09:41 AM
how is the WRX for daily driving?
I know this is has probably been beaten on quite a few times, but after reading reviews that the engine doesn't really come alive until 3000 rpm or so (when the turbo comes up), I'm wondering just how practical the WRX will be as a city driver.

I figure the only real way to use all the power of the WRX is to take trips to Whistler and Banff, and also do track racing and auto X? In these ways, the car can fully stretch its legs.

Also, does the WRX save gas from spooling the turbo a bit, or staying under turbo rpm (3000 rpm)?

Makes a fine daily driver, but I guess that is relative to what the driver is used to. And your right, under 3000rpm the turbo lag sucks, but its not that bad -- once you learn how to drive it correctly you won't even notice it.

IMHO, I love driving it in the city; 2nd gear @ 5000rpms is always fun for ripping through traffic.

And there are some inexpensive mods you can do to neutralize that turbo lag -- I am in the midst of getting a cobb tuning turbo cat back exhaust.

And no, there is no saving gas with this car, it is a little pig no matter how you drive it -- IMO.

Chim
05-31-2004, 11:29 AM

Check out www.rs25.com, tons of happy 2.5 owners there :thumbsup:

And if power is what you're looking for, a high mileage gc6/gc8 with a swap will cost you bout the same as a bugeyes wrx, except you'll have a better body style (and higher body mileage) I traded my sti badge with some dude in Saskatchewan, and talked to him for a bit. He got a V6 sti motor, tranny, and wire harness for $5k cdn delivered.

I have mad respect for the WRX and the STi, but I am nothing but happy with my RS2.5 :)

dugrant153
06-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I read mileage is about 12L/100km on these cars? My current car gets about 10L/100km mixed city and highway. And it's a FWD, so I don't see 12L/100km for an AWD as too bad. But I saw someone saying 9.5L/100km for the Impreza???

Also, for 2005, can anyone verify if the 2.5RS (slightly stripped) will drop in price to $22,995 CDN MSRP?

I've driven the Lancer Ralliart, and I like it better than the Mazda 3 right now (gutsier and loads of torque off the line). Now I gotta test drive the Impreza 2.5RS and see how good it is :)

2000impreza
06-20-2004, 10:11 AM
www.subaru.ca for msrp price listings.

tulit
06-20-2004, 11:21 AM
have a 2004 whtie impreza i'm selling it for a wrx.

they are alright too smooth of a ride to be a car for me. i'd say it doens't pull hard enough to get full use of it. thing you'll notice is if you drive it u don't feel the sucking back motion of speed behind the wheel. there is lots of body roll on the impreza needs a sway bar and to be lowered. front end heavy rear end light is a problem with this too. car is only as fast as a civic SiR. you can all bash me for that comment but it's true. i drive it and i'm a subby lover getting a wrx impreza just doesn't cut it for me

my 2 cents

Thats your problem right there. You need to be looking for the old school RS's. They are much lighter and more tossible. The new ones way a lot more, and have certain features missing since they aren't top-of-the-line like the old RS's were back in the day....

That.Guy.S30
06-20-2004, 01:11 PM
I read mileage is about 12L/100km on these cars? My current car gets about 10L/100km mixed city and highway. And it's a FWD, so I don't see 12L/100km for an AWD as too bad. But I saw someone saying 9.5L/100km for the Impreza???

Also, for 2005, can anyone verify if the 2.5RS (slightly stripped) will drop in price to $22,995 CDN MSRP?

I've driven the Lancer Ralliart, and I like it better than the Mazda 3 right now (gutsier and loads of torque off the line). Now I gotta test drive the Impreza 2.5RS and see how good it is :)

i will verify that a 2.5rs is 22995. the thing is that 2.5rs is actually the 2.5ts with different badging. the orignal 2.5rs is now called the 2.5rs sport which has alot more shit in it like sunroof and all that crap. hefty price tho its in the same price range as the new legacy 2.5i

how did you like the ralliart? told you its better than the 3.. lol i dont think you will go back to the impreza after the ralliart.. its just too much fun

dugrant153
06-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

i will verify that a 2.5rs is 22995. the thing is that 2.5rs is actually the 2.5ts with different badging. the orignal 2.5rs is now called the 2.5rs sport which has alot more shit in it like sunroof and all that crap. hefty price tho its in the same price range as the new legacy 2.5i

how did you like the ralliart? told you its better than the 3.. lol i dont think you will go back to the impreza after the ralliart.. its just too much fun

hahah... well, I just liked the more gutsy feeling of the Ralliart. The low down torque was lots of fun. It's pretty cool having an ugly wagon go like stink... haha.
If I was more into the comfort side (and didn't mind not being able to shoulder check), I'd get the Mazda 3. It's a fine car in it's own right. But I definitely need lots of torque below the 3000 rpm range, as well as above, which is what the Ralliart accomplishes.

One thing I really liked about the Ralliart was the Evolution GT-A seats. I wonder if the 2.5RS sedan base will have this? Or whether we gotta upgrade to the higher end 2.5RS to get it?

the 2.5RS sedan base has "sporty suspension". I'm not exactly sure what that means, though. Maybe they got rid of the 2.5TS softness?

That.Guy.S30
06-22-2004, 12:46 AM
^^ ive sat in the new 2.5rs sport. they have wrx style seats that hold you nice and tight but the material is different. i didnt like the feel. the suspension im not sure about. check out nasioc.com in the news and rumors section should have it in there.

the ralliart seats are awsome but i feel a little outta place becuase they feel alot higher than my subie does