PDA

View Full Version : new to cars..

Defiant_85
05-27-2004, 06:55 AM
yeah i don't know anything about cars. just like to know where a good place to start looking up info or if you had a good site where you started off from.

mum doesn't want a 2nd car.. so i was thinking of getting a mitsushibi mirage cause that's all mum can afford atm.. or if you have any kind of recommendations on a decent car at around the mirage's price range i'd like to hear it thanks.

cobber112879
05-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Good site? Try Beyond.ca

illeagle
05-27-2004, 07:28 AM
The mirage is a good started car, is it automatic? hey, you guys have Skylines in Austrailia don't you?

freakin
05-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Try here:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/
or more specifically:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

It's a pretty good site to figure out how most mechanical systems work.

Xtrema
05-27-2004, 09:04 AM
This is a Canadian site so many here many not know what the scene is like down under.

But Mirage sound like a good choice of econo box. Is Lancer still a good deal there? I remember that 6 years ago they are very cheap in Asia.

Defiant_85
05-27-2004, 10:13 PM
yeah my brother has a lancer, driven it, not too bad but his car doesn't have enough power..

yeah we got skylines here in australia. but ppl import them and stuff.. i got a friend who's got one.. but he was driving it one day (he's still on his P's) picking up his sister and got pulled over by the cops cause his car was too powerful since he was on his P's.

is the mirage similar to the lancer..? it'll be a manual car as i'd prefer to drive manual and didn't get a manual license for nothing

Orbie
05-27-2004, 10:22 PM
P's???!! what if he was on his Poo's!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kidding aside, anyone want to explain to me what being on P's is? I'm thinking we don't have this in Canada whatever it is...

Defiant_85
05-28-2004, 04:42 AM
oh sorry.. i'll explain
first you gotta be 16 or older to be able to get a learners license. but your only able to drive a car with an adult who is not on their P's or hasn't got their license suspended. next you need to sit a test for your P's (Probationary license, think it's called that..) once you have these your able to drive a car by yourself with P plates on your car. but your not allowed to drive cars that are too powerful or heavily modified cars. after a couple of years you switch to your full license no test or anything needed.

so yeah i'm on my P's.

Xtrema
05-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Defiant_85

is the mirage similar to the lancer..? it'll be a manual car as i'd prefer to drive manual and didn't get a manual license for nothing

First, if you're into Mitsu, this is the web site for down-under:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/mitssite/jsp/pages/index.jsp

Specs:

Lancer: 92kW, 173Nm, 1165Kg, 4Dr Sedan
Mirage: 69kW, 126NM, 955kg, 2Dr only

So no doubt that Mirage is 1 class lower than Lancer.

Mirage is 1/6 lighter but 1/3 less power so the Lancer will be the better/faster car of the 2.

africano
05-28-2004, 03:43 PM
So a P is like our N, cool.

You have a mag down under called "Hot 4's", good mag, read it. You'll get a sense of the scene from there. Does anyone have a pic of the mirage? i think it's a mazda. Don't really know anything about it so can't really recommend anything.

SI-vic
05-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Defiant_85
oh sorry.. i'll explain
first you gotta be 16 or older to be able to get a learners license. but your only able to drive a car with an adult who is not on their P's or hasn't got their license suspended. next you need to sit a test for your P's (Probationary license, think it's called that..) once you have these your able to drive a car by yourself with P plates on your car. but your not allowed to drive cars that are too powerful or heavily modified cars. after a couple of years you switch to your full license no test or anything needed.

so yeah i'm on my P's.

Alberta needs this P/N system
sounds not to shabby so far