PDA

View Full Version : Basic Tools

szw
10-20-2002, 12:35 AM
I thought I should get one of those "104pc tools kits" from walmart with come with a few wrenches and a ratchet with lots of bolt sizes and some screwdriver bits and what-not.

The main thing I need is the ratchets as I usually borrow my uncle's. I won't be using them a lot either, just small stuff every now and then. I just want to have them in case I need them.

Anyways, they are cheap, but are they good enough? I don't want to buy a cheap set and end up having to throw them out in frustration later.

And I need a torque wrench to set all the wheel lugs to the correct torque right? Soooo....what are they? What do they look like? How do they work? and Should they be in that 104pc kit, or are they separate /expensive /cheap?? I have never used one in my life!

My only skill-set of workign with tools involved using a drill press, dremel, and lots of under-the-microscope soldering! So clue me in please!

Redlyne_mr2
10-20-2002, 12:40 AM
what I hate about cheap tools is that when your really cranking on them im worried that the ratchet will break or the socket will slip off, Ive had it happen to me before and cranked my hand all to hell, the snapons and even the craftman tools are so nice to use, they're smooth and best of all built well, the ratchets also dont require a large amount of degree rotation to get them cranking, cheap tools are ok for small jobs, if you dont care about your hands arms and fingers or you're very experienced

turboMiata
10-20-2002, 12:47 AM
The best value are the Craftsman mechanic's toolkits. Buy them when they are at half off at Sears.

Torque wrenches are never in those "kits". A good one can be purchased from Canadian Tire for about 90bux. But again, watch out for the 1/2 price offers.

What kind of projects are you planning on working on? You prolly don't need the torque wrench if you are just starting out. I'd spend the money on a set of box wrenches and socket set.

Don't forget about multimeters and soldering irons if you're going to be working on electricals.

szw
10-20-2002, 12:52 AM
So when changing rims, I don't need a torque wrench?

Redlyne_mr2
10-20-2002, 01:10 AM
unless you use the tq wrench like every weekend your better off just to rent one from canadian tire

szw
10-20-2002, 01:16 AM
Good to know, thanks!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
10-20-2002, 01:20 AM
i broke 2 ratchets when i was working on my car .....:banghead:
They were supposedly good ones too, Craftsman and allied :banghead:
it's not too bad because they both come with lifetime warranty's
but sending crap to get replaced is a pain in the ass
:thumbsdow

5gluder
10-20-2002, 04:27 AM
Don't bother buying the cheap socket sets. I had one for around the house and ended up busting both the ratchets. I ended up going to Sears and buying a set from them. Go to Auto Value for a torque wrench, i got mine for $40, also comes with a lifetime warranty.

dj_honda
10-22-2002, 04:37 PM
if ur tools break, take them to home depot....any brand name.....and they will replace with husky.....at least that is what they used to have

i broke a few snap on sockets, and they replaced them on the spot

i dunno if that promotion is still going on

Weapon_R
10-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Without a doubt get a quality brand.

Cheaper ones have poorly built sockets that slip causing stripped bolts. The best value you can buy are Mastercraft or Craftsman.

You can get torque wrenches from anywhere between 10 dollars and over 100.

Pole Position
10-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Yes you need a torque wrench for your wheels, and torque them!!
A good click-type torque wrench should be around $100.

Not saying anyone here, but I found people breaking tools mainly because they don't know how to use them or abuse them. Of course, they do wear and break down, but most good brands should last a long time. That is why most of them offers life-time warranty!!

For example, try to pull when using a ratchet, don't push. Make sure you know what socket to use on bolts/nuts. Imperial or metric. I mean, don't use a imperial socket on a metric bolts/nuts or vice versa.

Most auto mechanics uses either Snap On or Mac Tools. They are expensive, but the best!! The Professional series at Canadian Tire and Craftsman are also very good too.

If you want a good tool set at decent price, go to Sears or Canadian Tire. You don't need Snap On or Mac Tools. I always see those over 100 pieces socket set under $100. Get them!

dj_honda
10-26-2002, 05:37 PM
about the whole not using them properly....that is true, but it is also easy to break them when u are working on a rusted up 1980 corolla we used to have for a winter beater :D
always have wd 40 too......that helps no matter what brand tools u are using

infamous
10-26-2002, 07:14 PM
wd 40 is the problem solver for everything: squeaks, stuff that is stuck, rusted bolts, or even if you can't start a fire! :thumbsup: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
10-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by szw
So when changing rims, I don't need a torque wrench? ive never used a tq wrench...but then again, i think ive actually warped a couple rotors overtightening the lugnuts...