PDA

View Full Version : dyno shop? business

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
i was looking into business choice as of now i'm not well informed on cars and such but i'm learning and coudl always hire staff. Just wondering if there is a demand for dyno shops and tuner shops in calgary?alberta?canada?

was looking to open a AWD dyno but would also support 2wd of course.

or maybe what else is there a demand for? race tracks? or is race city already sufficient i was thinking just dyno and a parts/install garage.

is there any demand out there or other ideas?

btw i'm going into business but could also take mechanics or hire them. business is my main always need a manager to run things and negotiate prices with other people and maybe have co-share business in the states, etc.

QuasarCav
05-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I always wanted to open a perf. shop for domestics.

The aftermarket is not as big but i dont think there is a store in calgary that caters to FF GM 4cyls.

If thats your cup of tea some import shops can be intimidating.

I would call it "4 banger" anyone want to ante up some cash?

BigMass
05-27-2004, 10:22 AM
it would be nice to have a shop that sold parts cheaper than what i can buy them for on the internet without having to leave my house.

EK 2.0
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
a local AWD Dyno would kick ass...As for tuning and speed shops, there are a lot of them...plus a few who install and dyno tune...

But if you provided an AWD Dyno...and the rest of ther services you are talking about, I think you wold be a huge hit...The only downside I see is this;

How much demand is there really for an AWD Dyno??..yes you could strap down 2WD cars as well, but tehre are a few who already do that, and have a great repuation here in Calgary as well...

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 11:02 AM
ya that's what i was thinking about competitors. there isn'ta huge demand but as more awd vehicles are being made now and awd vehicles prices are getting more competitive and afordable for the average joe it seems to be on the rise.
but who knows? :dunno:

what about a drifting track like they have in japan? you know the open large area with lots of circles to practice a variety of drifts etc. is there a demand for that at all? or is sliding cars too much of an expensive hobby? maybe a new kind of drifting track that would have a section with gravel and one that would be tarmac.

rage2
05-27-2004, 11:52 AM
The only people that an AWD dyno would cater to are the Impreza guys and the Audi guys that have tunable EFI systems... a fairly small market for such a big investment. The Talon/Eclipse AWD can be converted to FWD and dyno'd very easily. The R32 skyline GTRs (coming soon) converts to RWD by pulling a fuse.

Hollywood
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The only people that an AWD dyno would cater to are the Impreza guys and the Audi guys that have tunable EFI systems... a fairly small market for such a big investment. The Talon/Eclipse AWD can be converted to FWD and dyno'd very easily. The R32 skyline GTRs (coming soon) converts to RWD by pulling a fuse.

Pulling the fuse trick does not work 100% you can still damage the transfer case that way. You have to take out the front drive shaft and the fuse to be totally safe.

Even with the HKS ETC you still have to do both because when it is set to full RWD it still may jump.

BumpinTalon
05-27-2004, 01:08 PM
In my opinion, all I really want is a gigantic (we're talking 200x200 yard) really smooth paved lot that you could do whatever on. Autocross, drifting, oval, go karting, whatever. Put up grandstands for around 2,000 people. Then you could do whatever you wanted with it (except use it for parking :D). You could have an outdoor car show, drifting competitions, regular autocrossing, and so on. Round it off on the ends too. Maybe add a strip on one side for a pit lane.

Every Thursday you could set up ten cones and have a drifting meet, and every Friday you could set up ten dozen cones and have an autocross.

I guess you could put your shop on one side too. It'd be good exposure to have regular autocrosses and drift compos right next to your shop. If you carried a lot of suspension stuff, high-quality performance parts, stuff like that (and I guess body kits and rims for the general public) you could make a lot of money.

In summary: a big paved space next to your racing shop, and drift or autocross meets on a weekly basis.

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 01:14 PM
i was thinking about something like that.

not an acual track an an acuall place where u can drive ur car out adn do whatever the shiz u wanted to try that u were afraid to try on the roads because of objects etc.

would have to be outta city limits though where oh where

rage2
05-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Pulling the fuse trick does not work 100% you can still damage the transfer case that way. You have to take out the front drive shaft and the fuse to be totally safe.
Only on the R33's and R34's. The R32's do not need the front drive shaft removal.

Hollywood
05-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Only on the R33's and R34's. The R32's do not need the front drive shaft removal.

Yes you can just remove the fuse - for tinkering around on the street.

but on the dyno - I would recomend removing the front driveshaft - better to be safe then sorry - its only 4 12mm's and might save your car on the dyno - especially if you are making decent power...

barmanjay
05-27-2004, 11:18 PM
owning a track won't be cheap and easy,... insurance will kill you

in my opinion,.. open up a tire shop,...

If you have lota of money to burn,.... get a place close to the heart of downtown,.... lots of parking room,... and just do tires,... well rims too. and exhaust,.... always wanted to play with exhaust.

You'll need a couple of tire machines (approx 5-15,000.00 ea depending on new/used), a couple of car hoists (merc/bmw guys don't like to look at their cars on a cheap hydraulic jack),approx 6-10,000.00 ea,... computerized tire balancing (10,000.00), big compressor and various tools ( 5-10,000.00), for doing exhausts,... crush bender (5-10,000.00 - used/new), a couple of wenders, grinder/cutter, etc.,etc.

you'd be in the hole for about 5-10 years,.. but after a year of solid customer service (keep up with it and don't be an asshole) - good repeat client base, you'll have esablished a life-time of work, and most of all,... work throughout the winter, year after year, after year,... you wouldn't have to have much staff,... one receptionist,... and 2 to do tires,... (one of then could manage the joint and do rim sales aswell)!