PDA

View Full Version : jumping a car? crazy people?

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 11:10 AM
sometimes when is ee peopel jumping cars ( especially asian older people)

they go red red black black on both batterys like they don't put the black on the engine block or anythign.

is this dangerous? and what are possible special effects that could happen from doing this? i'm thinking it might just sraw a spark and blow the whole battary top off send acid everywhere?

who knows i dun do it this was i always put the negative black on the dead car away from the battery.

buh_buh
05-27-2004, 11:12 AM
:dunno: That's how I jump a car.

Gonthro
05-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by vincent-h
sometimes when is ee peopel jumping cars ( especially asian older people)

they go red red black black on both batterys like they don't put the black on the engine block or anythign.

is this dangerous? and what are possible special effects that could happen from doing this? i'm thinking it might just sraw a spark and blow the whole battary top off send acid everywhere?

who knows i dun do it this was i always put the negative black on the dead car away from the battery.

thats the ideal thing to do... just to avoid the sparking near the battery... battery explosions aren't extrememly common, but it is possible.

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
:dunno: That's how I jump a car.

buh_buh that isn't the proper way to do it

it should be like this.

both red and black cables should be connected to the good battery. only the red cable connected to the positive on the bad battery and the black cable away from the dead battery on a good grounding location i find the engine block to be a good spot.

otherwise something like this could happen

quote from a friend:

"The reason for this is it reduces the possibility of the tool you are using hitting a part of the car and creating an arc and sparking. Batteries produce Hydrogen and Oxygen gas and they can explode with a spark. I never thought this was really likely to happen but, I was unlucky enough to have this happen once. We were trouble shooting a car and checking for spark. My friend chose to look at the spark of a plug too close to the battery and when I turned the car over it blew the top of the battery off. It sounded like a gun shot and battery acid went everywhere. He was fortunate to not get any acid in his eyes but he did end up with some nasty burns."

canadiandaytona
05-27-2004, 11:26 AM
This can be dangerous.
Battery explosion happen to friends SUV a month ago.

Best to ground to engine/chassis then risk disfigerment:thumbsup:

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
This can be dangerous.
Battery explosion happen to friends SUV a month ago.

Best to ground to engine/chassis then risk disfigerment:thumbsup:

:werd: seems u posted same time as me. why take the risk when you don't have to. not all that common but in todays world anything can happen!
you think getting extreme burns would suck. it it touuchs any where around ur eyes even closed u risk instant blindness now would that suck can't drive u car no more! or any car ever. :eek: :eek:

BumpinTalon
05-27-2004, 01:13 PM
I just boosted a car the wrong way :)
i'm not dead or burned. but then again I stood back about fifteen feet behind the car with the bad battery.

sputnik
05-27-2004, 01:31 PM
(especially asian older people)

was that really necessary?

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

was that really necessary?

haha not really dun worry it's not a racist remark i'm asian maybe i just find lots of my dads and uncles doing it often haha

sputnik
05-27-2004, 02:31 PM

haha not really dun worry it's not a racist remark i'm asian maybe i just find lots of my dads and uncles doing it often haha

dads?

jury still out on who your dad really is? you should be on Maury

:rofl:

nismodrifter
05-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

dads?

jury still out on who your dad really is? you should be on Maury

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
i have two dads acually step dad and real dad so it's logical for me to say dads as they both boosted the car the wrong way.

:guns: :guns:

GTS Jeff
05-27-2004, 02:39 PM
where is a convenient grounding point in hte engine bay? most of the stuff is painted...soooo

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 02:40 PM
gts--> sometimes if you can find a bolt somewher u can get the cable to hook onto it that's usualy a good spot.

GTS Jeff
05-27-2004, 02:47 PM
gts--> sometimes if you can find a bolt somewher u can get the cable to hook onto it that's usualy a good spot. true, but not all bolts work and the ones that do are too small haha.

i usually try to find a good spot for about 30 seconds, then i get frustrated and scream really loud and just use the neg terminal (and hope i dont die)

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 02:52 PM
the bolts on the motor work well. also i've seen soem people use the hood locking pin how well it works i dunno so ya. pretty much any solid steel part at least 1 foot from the battery is a good rule of thumb imo.

I usually see if i can hear the electrical current when i rub it lightly on a metal piece if i can then i know there's a charge and that spot is a good spot.

some spots if it isn't a good spot and u rub it u dun hear the charge. i dunno does tha tmake sense? :dunno:

barmanjay
05-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Technically one ground should be on a good ground source on the car,..... but i cheat and just go terminal to terminal.
I usually wear sunglasses or turn my head when i connect now.

I did have a bettery explode in my face,.....
wasn't pretty,.....
instantly my eye's burned,.... right away i went into the house and rinsed my eye's with cold water then went to the hospital,..... nurse said i was lucky that i did that or i would be blind,... they ended up rinsing my eyes for another hour after with a base soluition to counter the battery acid.

inside the engine bay,... the acid ate all the paint away,... and on the bumper,... my friends clothes, whom had his back turned at the time,... all my clothes i was wearing, after 8 hours, looked like i was shot by a shot gun,... all eaten by the acid.

I usually keep a can of coke (has to be coke) around,... it's a base and will counter the battery acid.

Take it from me,..... NEVER TAKE YOUR BATTERY FOR GRANTED.

I accidentally arc'd the 2 terminals,.... wrench slipped.
NEVER TEST THE BATTERY BY SPARKING A JUMPER CABLE.... essentiall you're doing the same thing as what happened to me.

happened 14 years ago, and i still have scarred dreams and thoughts of it every time i disconnect the battery.

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 03:23 PM
i don't spark them together, i rub it against my ground slower than a snail to see if i hear a charge.

u get what i mean it's no where clsoe to the battery when i'm doign this.

lint
05-28-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
I usually keep a can of coke (has to be coke) around,... it's a base and will counter the battery acid.

Uhhhh, coke isn't basic, it's acidic. The carbon dioxide gas will form carbonic acid in solution. You might want to try keeping a solution of baking soda (weak base) handy instead. Although the best thing is lots of water to dilute the acid. Keep in mind that acid-base reactions produce heat.

Xtrema
05-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Also, if you're boosting with a small car (Civic or smaller), it'll be nice to keep your foot lightly on the throttle to bring the idling up to around 1500rpm.

That'll generate a bit more amp for the other car to crank with.

eb0i
05-28-2004, 10:43 AM
I had a stupid moment with a battery once on my old oldsmobile cutlass ciera. I was disconnecting one of the terminals from the batter and I was using a wrench to loosen the bolt. for some reason (I don't know why I did it) I moved the wrench so that it hit the other terminal at the same time. I pulled my hand back right away and this huge spark came out and scared the crap out of me. Luckily nothing happen. So stupid of me!

1badPT
05-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Most newer model vehicles have the battery hidden away out of reach and only give you access to jumping through remote terminals. That way even if you do spark the terminals you are less likely to have an explosion. My Cirrus had the battery in the fender and the only way to access the battery itself was to remove the splashguard in the fenderwell. On my Cruiser the battery is under the airbox. In either case you don't get direct access to the battery.

Its still important to follow the right steps in hooking up batteries for jumping but with the remote terminals its a bit safer. If you aren't sure the steps on how to hook up a battery for jumping, take the few seconds to look in your owners manual or the instructions your road safety kit - battery explosions are one of the things in your car that seem harmless enough but can scar you for life.

eb0i
05-28-2004, 12:28 PM
^my friends 96 stratus was the same way, the battery was behind the fender and there was actually a remote terminal and a designated place to ground it too. It was pretty cool, however changing the batter was the biggest pain in the ass ever!

My new honda isn't like that however.

1badPT
05-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah here's a pic of a Stratus engine bay (its a squeezed Strat :D) - same car as my Cirrus except for the Dodge badge. Obviously some mods done to this engine but if you look on the fuseblock under the polished intake you'll see the positive terminal, and if you look at the right strut tower, you'll see a little black sticker marking the negative terminal.

The battery itself isn't even accessible from under the hood.

Scat
05-28-2004, 12:58 PM
When I try jumping a car, I just sprint as fast as I can at the car and then when i get close i jump really fuckin high and sometimes you make it and sometimes you dont.

hahasuohfa fuckin pwnede

africano
05-28-2004, 03:50 PM
If you have a gell filled battery is there still a risk of explosion? or is it just the older lead acid batteries? :dunno:

1badPT
05-28-2004, 04:24 PM
I dunno, but if I had to guess - I would think the risk would still be there. Basically what is creating a current is an acid corrodes a copper electrode (oxidation) leaving the copper with a negative charge. The other electrode takes on the polarity of the fluid which is doing the corroding (positive charge).

All good except when acid corrodes a metal, it produces hydrogen gas - that's what's explosive. Although most batteries are sealed, just the tiniest of holes could let enough hydrogen out to make an accident waiting to happen. If the hydrogen ignites, it will likely light the hydrogen inside the battery as well, turning it into a bomb in essence.

ExtremeSi
05-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Scat
When I try jumping a car, I just sprint as fast as I can at the car and then when i get close i jump really fuckin high and sometimes you make it and sometimes you dont.

hahasuohfa fuckin pwnede
:rofl: that was pretty lame, but good:rofl:

dogmaiwli
05-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Scat

hahasuohfa fuckin pwnede

:D :D :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Civics are much easier then Escalades :)