PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Practices

happygirl
05-27-2004, 08:27 PM
If u go for Indian or Chinese food you don't expect white staff to work there, but a white person who wants to serve likely won't be turned away because of their skin colour.

I work at an ethnic restaurant that has two white servers, and I've seen Caucasians working in Indian and Asian restaurants; but the opposite is rare. I've lived in Calgary my whole life and have only been served once by a visible minority working at a non-ethnic place.

So after submititng my resume to numerous restaurants downtown, I was hired right away by an ethnic place, but no where else even called me back. There is an absence of minority servers working in canadian/western style restaurants, and i've really only noticed it recently because of my work situation.

max_boost
05-27-2004, 08:37 PM
huh so what are you trying to say?:rofl:

GTS Jeff
05-27-2004, 08:39 PM
yea boohoo, blame it on your ethnicity and not yourself, loser.

max_boost
Have you ever been to Chianti's? All the servers are caucasian, all the kitchen workers are either Chinese or Vietnamese and they combine to server Italian food! haha

turbo_equiped
well yea, whats your point?

CKY
05-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Have you ever been to Chianti's? All the servers are caucasian, all the kitchen workers are either Chinese or Vietnamese and they combine to server Italian food! haha

yes and by whole kitchen it means both the crowfoot one and the one at 32nd <--is it 32nd?? actually theres not many vietnamese working in their kitchens other than the 2 head chiefs who are half chinese and viet

zhulander
05-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by CKY

yes and by whole kitchen it means both the crowfoot one and the one at 32nd &lt;--is it 32nd?? actually theres not many vietnamese working in their kitchens other than the 2 head chiefs who are half chinese and viet

I use to work at the 32ave one and all the kitchen staff were chinese.

Skylinelover
06-16-2004, 09:47 PM
There is a chinese place and all the cooks are chinese and like there is only like 2 chinese servers and the rest are cucasian and plus there is no male servers.:dunno:

Kamen
06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Is there a point to this thread or was it just story time?
I worked at Milestones Bar and Grill and I was the only chinese guy there. But that doesn't mean anything. It's in my belief that the restaurants hire those that suit their needs and those that meet their expectations. If a caucasian were to work in a chinese based restaurant they wouldn't do so well due to the language barrier. Whereas with western restaurants typically westerners would apply for work since it suits their style of cooking, no?
All in all this is a largely debatable topic but I'm not gonna write an essay because the rest is common sense...

Weapon_R
06-16-2004, 10:55 PM
If I go to Edo and see an all white staff, it just doesn't seem right :dunno: