PDA

View Full Version : VTEC problems need help!!!

SleeperD
05-27-2004, 09:49 PM
SOooooooo i have a H22A...and everything is hooked up, but as everyone knows the vtec will not kick in if the engine light is on...nowwww...when i first start the car it stays off for a while...thne about 10mins later it comes on and stays on....does anyone have any idea why that is...???

rice_eater
05-27-2004, 11:12 PM
see if you can read off the codes that your computer is giving. on some cars you can do it by cycling the power key and counting the number of flashes from the CEL

SleeperD
05-27-2004, 11:48 PM
yaathats what i have been doing alot of, havnet done it since this started happing soo, it just sucks because we did have all of them fixed..guess i got to do it again....its just fucked that it will stay off for a while adn then come on...but i did plan on doing that tomorrow soo, thanks for the tip though

jdmsource
05-28-2004, 12:52 PM
i bet its O2 sensor

SleeperD
05-28-2004, 01:23 PM
o2 sensor ah...Hhuummmm, well iw ill find out today later..sooo...the silenoid has been checked..took it apart and check it its fine...sooo...but i will check the o2 sensor

thanks

SleeperD
05-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jdmsource
i bet its O2 sensor

i mite end up stoping by ..is that alright??

Weapon_R
05-28-2004, 01:40 PM
What code are you pulling? All you have to do is check that out and you will be able to find out exactly what the problem is.

Dogg
05-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is Vtec? I know it is a Honda term for - I believe - a system of valve timing.

What Honda engines have it? How does it work? Why is it an advantage over other systems? Is it exclisively a Honda innovation, or patented by Honda? Do other manufacturers have the same thing under other names?

SleeperD
05-28-2004, 06:42 PM
its ok people problem solved, went to JDMsource and they told me what was wrong...and it was nothing..SWEET u guys rock thanks again!!!

vtec is sorta like a built in turbo or supercharger...when u hit around 55 or 6000 the vtec kicks in and give u a little boost of power.....but i got to run..just do a google surch and find the web site how things work..and taht will tell u,.....thansk again guys at jdmsource!!

later

EK 2.0
05-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SleeperD
its ok people problem solved, went to JDMsource and they told me what was wrong...and it was nothing..SWEET u guys rock thanks again!!!

vtec is sorta like a built in turbo or supercharger...when u hit around 55 or 6000 the vtec kicks in and give u a little boost of power.....but i got to run..just do a google surch and find the web site how things work..and taht will tell u,.....thansk again guys at jdmsource!!

later

OMG are you ever further from the truth man...What kind of drugs are YOU smoking?? A built-in TURBO or SUPERCHARGER??!!??

Do you know what a supercharger or a turbocharger is man?? or how they work??

VTEC is an acronym for Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control...what it does is it has 3 lobes on the camshaft for every valve...and when you are loafing around town it runs like any regular engine...then as you hit higher RPM's depending on application but around 5000rpm it engages a larger lobe on the camshaft...which is stage one...then around 6300?? I think??...it engages yet another larger cam...producing mad top end power and making that sweet, sweet VTEC snarl...by keeping valves open longer and deeper, it allows more combustible materials into the cylinder thus making higher top end power...

Not like a supercharger or turbocharger...

Lennon
05-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

OMG are you ever further from the truth man...What kind of drugs are YOU smoking?? A built-in TURBO or SUPERCHARGER??!!??

First of all, take a deep breath, and relax, all he was inplying is that in the same sense a super, or turbo works, just by giving you that extra bit of power. He wasn't comparing the two, and second of all, SleeperD is right about when it kicks in, NOT 6300. But actually at 5500RPM on his particular engine.

No need to come off like a cynical knowitall jerk.

Just relax man.

Lennon
05-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by mik
No need to be an asshole about it.

And you, when in the world was he ever being an asshole? Seems pretty clear to me that when he went up there (with the engine light ON) they simply pointed out that it wasn't anything that would effect the VTEC. And that it was in fact not a problem at all. AND THEN thanked them for the help! Both of you need to relax, I dunno if its the weather or what. But I sensed no sarcasm, nor him being an asshole.
:drama:

Lennon
05-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dogg
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is Vtec? I know it is a Honda term for - I believe - a system of valve timing.

What Honda engines have it? How does it work? Why is it an advantage over other systems? Is it exclisively a Honda innovation, or patented by Honda? Do other manufacturers have the same thing under other names?

Here ya go Dogg... hopefully this helps out.

VTEC, And how it works. (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm)

EK 2.0
05-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Lennon

First of all, take a deep breath, and relax, all he was inplying is that in the same sense a super, or turbo works, just by giving you that extra bit of power. He wasn't comparing the two, and second of all, SleeperD is right about when it kicks in, NOT 6300. But actually at 5500RPM on his particular engine.

Just relax man.

My post said "DEPENDING ON APPLICATION"

and re-read his post...it sound to me like hes comapring the 2 man...not showing a smilarity in its power producing abilities...

Lennon
05-28-2004, 08:10 PM
My post said "DEPENDING ON APPLICATION"

and re-read his post...it sound to me like hes comapring the 2 man...not showing a smilarity in its power producing abilities...

I did read it, and did see your "depending on app" and made it clear to you that he was right about the RPM.... however, its your attitude that set me off, its one thing to help someone out, and quite another to be a complete thick headed jerk about something.

It doesn't matter what his post "sounded" like to you, I understood it fine for some reason... I dunno.... when he said its "sorta like a turbo" I was understanding that he was reffering to the power increase. :dunno:

1-Bar
05-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Lennon

Just relax man.

Well the way I read it, it seemed like the SleeperD was comparing VTEC and turbos/superchargers as being very similar in mechanics and function.

vtec is sorta like a built in turbo or supercharger...when u hit around 55 or 6000 the vtec kicks in and give u a little boost of power.....

:dunno:

Maybe you should be the one to take a deep breath and relax because it seems you are the one who's being a jerk....

Lennon
05-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

Maybe you should be the one to take a deep breath and relax because it seems you are the one who's being a jerk....

Only to those who are treating people in the way I'm treating them, and read up, I said why I was even reacting the way I was.

SleeperD
05-28-2004, 09:13 PM

Do you know what a supercharger or a turbocharger is man?? or how they work??

VTEC is an acronym for Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control...what it does is it has 3 lobes on the camshaft for every valve...and when you are loafing around town it runs like any regular engine...then as you hit higher RPM's depending on application but around 5000rpm it engages a larger lobe on the camshaft...which is stage one...then around 6300?? I think??...it engages yet another larger cam...producing mad top end power and making that sweet, sweet VTEC snarl...by keeping valves open longer and deeper, it allows more combustible materials into the cylinder thus making higher top end power...

Not like a supercharger or turbocharger...

Okkkk...soooo this is what beyond is about.....i mean all i did was post a little something about the vtec...i was just trying to...u know what never mind...like what the hell man...i dont need your shit...i thought that beyond was about like info/friends/cars/ and other good stuff...not this shit....i know u know what i was saying, all i implied was that the vtec gives u a little more boost...like a turbo or a supercharger...that was it...and if u thought was i said was incorrect then just put in your 2 cents..no need to get all ass-hole-ish about it.....hate to say this but people like u make me not want to come on here..later

Dogg
05-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Read on, my fellow newbie.
There are marvelously articulate and knowledgeable people on this forum.
There are elitist snob knowitalls.
And there are nasty little turds who are here to insult you because it makes them feel good.

But through it all, it is only typewritten font; it is something you have to distill for its good bits. They do seem to exist if you go looking for them.

I'm new here, too, and I understand what you mean, Sleeper D.
Take no heed of the jerks, or get into a flame war if you feel inclined. Its your spare time.

1-Bar
05-28-2004, 10:29 PM

Okkkk...soooo this is what beyond is about.....i mean all i did was post a little something about the vtec...i was just trying to...u know what never mind...like what the hell man...i dont need your shit...i thought that beyond was about like info/friends/cars/ and other good stuff...not this shit....i know u know what i was saying, all i implied was that the vtec gives u a little more boost...like a turbo or a supercharger...that was it...and if u thought was i said was incorrect then just put in your 2 cents..no need to get all ass-hole-ish about it.....hate to say this but people like u make me not want to come on here..later

Well the information you got was top notch, I dunno if you even read it since you posted this. I mean Cyclone pretty much summed up VTEC very nicely.

At least you got a response and not just a flame....If you just said that vtec gives you more power in the higher RPM range and left it at that, then fine. We know what your talking about and that you know how it works...but when you type in that its like a supercharger/turbo built in, then it seems like you don't know what your talking about since in reality they are very different in mechanics.

I don't care if you implied something....as stated before its just text on a screen. People can't decypher what's implied and what's not, so please just state the facts next time and leave it at that....

SleeperD
05-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Dogg
Read on, my fellow newbie.
There are marvelously articulate and knowledgeable people on this forum.
There are elitist snob knowitalls.
And there are nasty little turds who are here to insult you because it makes them feel good.

But through it all, it is only typewritten font; it is something you have to distill for its good bits. They do seem to exist if you go looking for them.

I'm new here, too, and I understand what you mean, Sleeper D.
Take no heed of the jerks, or get into a flame war if you feel inclined. Its your spare time.

Dogg u are a good man, and i know that this is all just stupid kids play, i mean there is no need to fight and all that shit...sooo, sorry for starting up anything....just trying to help.....thanks for yorur imput though Dogg, later

SleeperD
05-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

Well the information you got was top notch, I dunno if you even read it since you posted this. I mean Cyclone pretty much summed up VTEC very nicely.

At least you got a response and not just a flame....If you just said that vtec gives you more power in the higher RPM range and left it at that, then fine. We know what your talking about and that you know how it works...but when you type in that its like a supercharger/turbo built in, then it seems like you don't know what your talking about since in reality they are very different in mechanics.

I don't care if you implied something....as stated before its just text on a screen. People can't decypher what's implied and what's not, so please just state the facts next time and leave it at that....

Yes cyclone wrote what Vtec is, like right out of the book, it was perfect.....but for people that dont know what all that means...i said that....

like a turbo or superchager, Vtec gives u more power....i didnt say that that was what the vtec is, and if that is what u think that i implied then i am sorry....non of this mechanics shit, i know thats not how it works, only that they give u more power...that was it....but thanks for the input 1-Bar, later

SleeperD
05-29-2004, 08:58 AM
:closed: :drama: