PDA

View Full Version : VTEC & Premium gas?

Speed_RaSiR
05-28-2004, 11:30 AM
It says on my gas cap to only fill premium, I know with the V-Etech that you should fill preemo. My question is, how bad is it for the car if only fill reg? It seems to perform the same.

QuasarCav
05-28-2004, 11:31 AM
the comp will sense detonation and roll the timing back.

Less power coming from your V-TEC powerplant!

EK 2.0
05-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Fill up on regular and dont engage VTEC...gas to soo much moola to wanna any whoo...

GSR Zero
05-28-2004, 11:45 AM
When I first got my GS-R (bought it from a used car dealership) I'm sure they had regular gas in it. There definitely was more power in the v-tec range after I had some Premium fuel in it.

Speed_RaSiR
05-28-2004, 11:46 AM
So not having premium will only affect the VE-TESH? For normal driving I should be fine right?

Ben
05-28-2004, 11:47 AM
WTF is VE-TESH and V-Etech?!

Weapon_R
05-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Fill premium. It says to fill premium, so do it. I don't see where the problem is.

QuasarCav
05-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Speed_RaSiR
So not having premium will only affect the VE-TESH? For normal driving I should be fine right?

I wouldn;t risk it. It's just when the agressive cam takes over you timing is also more agressive.

Shouldn't really cause a problem because the comp. would recognize this and prevent to much timing advance.

I'm not too good with hondas so feel free to prove me wrong.

Speed_RaSiR
05-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben
WTF is VE-TESH and V-Etech?!

Sorry, V-TECH

Akagi Redsuns
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM

Sorry, V-TECH

The only V-TECH I know of is the company that makes phones.

Now there is VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) that are used in some Honda motors :):)

dkny_stylez
05-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Fill premium. It says to fill premium, so do it. I don't see where the problem is.

look at the cost of it dumbass

On a site note, it should be ok to use regular

Weapon_R
05-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez

look at the cost of it dumbass

On a site note, it should be ok to use regular

If you are toom uch of a cheapass to buy premium, sell your car and buy a beater that doesn't need it. And its not okay to use regular gasoline in a car that requires premium you stupid fucknut. Engine timing is retarded and the car performs much worse. Ask any turbo guy about the effects of using a low grade gasoline and pinging. Over the long run this is not good for your engine. Until you figure that out, don't bother giving out bullshit technical advice to someone when you don't know what you are talking about.

Speed_RaSiR
05-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

The only V-TECH I know of is the company that makes phones.

Now there is VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) that are used in some Honda motors :):)

Yea right... I had no idea. you mean there is a difference between a phone company and an engine. Holy christ your a genius.

Speed_RaSiR
05-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

If you are toom uch of a cheapass to buy premium, sell your car and buy a beater that doesn't need it. And its not okay to use regular gasoline in a car that requires premium you stupid fucknut. Engine timing is retarded and the car performs much worse. Ask any turbo guy about the effects of using a low grade gasoline and pinging. Over the long run this is not good for your engine. Until you figure that out, don't bother giving out bullshit technical advice to someone when you don't know what you are talking about.

So it wont damage the engine, but it will affect performance is basically what your saying.

QuasarCav
05-28-2004, 02:23 PM
yes it took 14-15 pointless posts to tell you that premium gas will reduce power.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

5.9 R/T
05-28-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't think anyone here really knows what would happen. Short term should be ok, but the long term effects of using lower grade gas (on Vtec motors) are unknown. Every engine is different, and so is every driver, there isn't a cold hard rule here, but its probably best to follow whatever the owners manual recommends.

Weapon_R
05-28-2004, 02:27 PM

So it wont damage the engine, but it will affect performance is basically what your saying.

Again, that is left to debate. Personally, I think it does, and so does the general consensus for most Honda owners. Check honda-tech.com for more information, this topic has been covered a lot. Like R/T said, there is no clear cut policy and widespread consensus, but the effects are probably worse than spending the extra 3-4 dollars on what Honda recommends.

sputnik
05-28-2004, 02:30 PM
http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

Long term detonation/ping can damage your engine.

max_boost
05-28-2004, 02:31 PM
No doubt, too cheap to buy gas, you shouldn't drive:poosie: haha:rofl:

5.9 R/T
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

Long term pre-ignition/detonation/ping can damage your engine.

But who's to say it will absolutely occur? The computer is designed to compensate for a poor tank of gas, the question is how much can it compensate for as there is only so much timing you can pull. I'm sure you could run 89 no problems for the life of your car, but 87? :dunno:

Xtrema
05-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Always put in what's recommended by the manufacturer. If you can't afford it, you're driving the wrong car.

Seanith
05-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Always put in what's recommended by the manufacturer. If you can't afford it, you're driving the wrong car.

Word. Putting the wrong octane rating in your car is just a stupid thing to do. You think honda was smoking teh weed when the said put in premium? :rolleyes:

Akagi Redsuns
05-28-2004, 06:22 PM

Yea right... I had no idea. you mean there is a difference between a phone company and an engine. Holy christ your a genius.

Obviously I knew you had no idea since you spelled VTEC incorrectly numerous.

But whatever, enjoy your V-TECH, or VE-TESH or V-Etech engine as it struggles to keep itself from knocking and pinging with the cheap gas you are filling it up with. Give that knock sensor a workout.

sasukekun
05-28-2004, 07:16 PM
There's also a lot of other variables that your car's ECU will have "learned" based on your engine sensors. If these values are based off of premium gas then there's a good chance they will be incorrect for regular gas. This *could* have the effect of engine predetonation. With higher octane gas you can lean out the mixture a little more than with a lower octane gas. If your ECU believes you're using premium and in fact you're not then the mixture may be too lean, and on top of that the timings will be advanced. So you have two things working against you, plus a number of other factors that are a little harder to explain. The short answer is, use premium.

Edit: I forgot to include that while your car will have a knock sensor that will retard the timings the engine will still "recover" to the same 0 degrees of retard after no knocks are observed for a short duration. This means that your engine will knock, then your ECU will retard the timings, then it will advance them again and then retard them. All in all, lots of damage can be done before the ECU has a chance to prevent it.

civicluva
05-28-2004, 09:17 PM
A celica GS-T has VVT, yet it says use unleaded regular. Vtec is no different. Fill up with regular unless you need the combustion, I use 89 octane and I have a t3 turbo with Vtec and no problem. :thumbsup:

Akagi Redsuns
05-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by civicluva
A celica GS-T has VVT, yet it says use unleaded regular. Vtec is no different. Fill up with regular unless you need the combustion, I use 89 octane and I have a t3 turbo with Vtec and no problem. :thumbsup:

VVT or even the VVT-i system does not use an extra cam profile for higher RPMs like the VTEC system does. The VVTL-i system does along with camshaft phasing.....but the VVTL-i system is found in the 2ZZ-GE engine (used in the Celica GT-S, Matrix XRS, Corolla XRS and the new Elise). BUT it has 11.5 to 1 compression ratio and Toyota specifically states to use high octane.

Fill it with regular unless you need combustion???? :confused: You are recommending him to use regular?? Nice.

alpha
05-29-2004, 12:23 AM
i agree with weapon r, if you are so concerned about the cost of gas sell your car and get a car without vtec, considering you dont want to use it much. a friend of mine used to work at a chrysler dealership, a guy came in a short while after buying a jeep grand cherokee (which also requires premium, and also sez so on the gas cap, and the dash I believe), complaining about poor performance and engine noises etc. after telling the staff that he has been filling it with regular the whole time, they informed him that engine damage from detonation had occured and that because it was his own dumb-ass fault it wasnt covered under warranty.

car makers know what they are doing. just keep that in mind.