PDA

View Full Version : Finance Job

joseph
05-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey I was just wondering does anyone on these forums work in the finance sector? If so I was wondering how do people get part-time jobs in banks or other financial institutions like that? I'm going into my second semester of Business Admin with a finance major at SAIT and I'm trying to get a part time job for when I start school.

ZorroAMG
05-29-2004, 04:36 PM
i am a mortgage rep @ RBC with a Finance degree. You can become a CSR (teller) I believe but that would be pretty much it in banks...other FI's like smaller loan companies may have more opportunity but may require more formal ed (say a degree or diploma)

joseph
05-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks. Do you know how I can get a job as a teller though? Do I just apply in person or drop off a resume or is there some other way to do it? I don't really care too much about the level of the position just as long as it is finance related.

ZorroAMG
05-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Yeah contact the HR dept of the bank and drop off a res and Cover LEtter.....

Glag I didn't have to do that for my job though LOL

joseph
05-30-2004, 10:58 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks I'll try that.

Shaolin
05-30-2004, 11:22 AM
if you have friends that go to other institutions, i suggest you get them to hook you up with the career centers of their institution.. my buddy got a job as a jr broker and he got the job from the U of C career center. he doesn't get paid much, but the shit he's learning from his bosses is very valuable (obviously).

joseph
05-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info:) . But can anyone on this forum possibly hook me up with one of their career centers? I don't really know that much people who go to U of C anymore.:dunno: I'd really really appreciate it.

5gluder
05-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I have worked at TD, didn't like so i quit. I'm now working at Scotiabank, so far i'm very happy with them. I graduated 2 years ago in Finance, i probably spent 1.5 years sending out resumes everyday. At the begining i had applied at small to large bussiness, as i did not want to work at a bank. In the end i gave in and applied at banks, even with an education i still had a hard time. It seems they are more inclied to hire people with more customer service experience compared to education:dunno:.

I would like to help you out but i'm fairly new and don't have any leverage currently. But apply at Scotiabank(branches, call center), i also heard First Calgary pay very well comparied to other insitutions.

If you plan on staying with the bank sector look into the Canadain Securities Course.

joseph
05-30-2004, 04:16 PM
I have a lot of customer service experience since I worked in retail for like 5 years so that shouldn't be a problem. Plus I'm doing finance in school right now. I'm gonna go apply to a couple places this week and hopefully it works out.

5gluder
05-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Good luck:thumbsup:

joseph
05-31-2004, 01:55 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks I'll need it.