PDA

View Full Version : 89 Toyota MR2 SC vs 89 Mazda RX-7 turbo

Drsuce
05-29-2004, 08:12 PM
what would you pick? and why... asuming both cars are in fairly good shape, around 100k km on the clock

im refering to jdm cars aswell, so let it be noted that the SC mr2 has 165 HP, not 145 :)

im new to rx-7's though, i love the simplicity of the engines, are they newbie mechanic friendly? how do rx-7's hold up in calgary salty roads? daily drivability?

as far as mods go, i know the jdm mr2 is nearly basicly topped out because of the ecu and sc12 supercharger, how about rx7's?

and is it possible to get that REALLY nice rotary sound w/o having a exhaust that will set off alarms?

and does anyone with a rx7 turbo wanna take me for a spin? :)

BigMass
05-29-2004, 08:29 PM
:thumbsup:
Great choices. Both amazing value for their import prices. I dont think you can go wrong with both, but i do like the MR2 SC.

There is a lot you can do with the MR2 SC. I like the mid engine layout. For power you can upgrade the intercooler and install a pulley that will give you more boost on your SC. With cams, pulleys, intake and a straight pipe exhaust, you can get close to 200hp on the MR2. You can do some weight reduction, suspension work, new wheel and the thing will fly. Imagine 180-200hp on a 2000-2200lb car after the weight reduction.

With the MR2 you wont have to worry about cooking your engine like you would with the rotary. Do you really want to rebuild the engine on a $5000 car?

Both of these cars dont have amazing aftermarket support like their newer counterparts, but custom work like piping is easy to do yourself or have a local shop do it for you.

Personally i can't deny wanting to import an MR2 SC and turn it into an %80 track car and %20 road car. With proper mods the thing will drive like a go cart on steroids.

Drsuce
05-29-2004, 08:40 PM
its easyer to get a n/a 4-age engine to 200HP than it is to get the SC there.... that sc12 just cant cut it ;) plus, the jdm 4agze's already run at 12 psi (i think) so u dont need a pulley :)

i had an 85 mr2 and loved it, except it was horrible in the winter :P cold and no traction no matter what :(

but dam, my 85 was prolly putting out 110 HP max.... 165 must freakin fly :)

mr2's kinda suck as a daily driver though, just because of space :P not a HUGE concern of mine, but it kinda sux :)

if i imported an mr2, i'd eventualy turn it into a 4agte, now THOSE fly.... even at very moderate boost ;P

how bout those 7's tho? the few i've seen around the city seemed to be very good body wise.... do they tend not to rust? (one winter efectivly TRIPPLED the rust on my mr2... it was sick)

Drsuce
05-29-2004, 08:41 PM
btw, u could import an mr2 with a roll cage, and pre stripped interior for pretty dam cheap... they are a dime a dozen in japan.... very popular track cars!

SAiamNE
05-29-2004, 08:44 PM
There are a couple RX-7 Fans on this board including myself.
Personally i love the fact that just the Rotary is so much different from any other car.
My uncle bought a 1988 and ever since i took a drove in it i got hooked. Couple months later i bought a 1990 GXL..
I'm only 18 and probably would have liked to buy a Turbo except my insurance would be through the roof.
I just have to argue with alot of the stuff BigMass has told you...

Originally posted by BigMass
:thumbsup:
There is a lot you can do with the MR2 SC. I like the mid engine layout. For power you can upgrade the intercooler and install a pulley that will give you more boost on your SC. With cams, pulleys, intake and a straight pipe exhaust, you can get close to 200hp on the MR2. You can do some weight reduction, suspension work, new wheel and the thing will fly. Imagine 180-200hp on a 2000-2200lb car after the weight reduction.

With the MR2 you wont have to worry about cooking your engine like you would with the rotary. Do you really want to rebuild the engine on a $5000 car?

Ok 1st..... All that straght pipe's, intake etc.. you can do on an RX-7 to.... A Stock Turbo RX-7 2nd gen (1988-92) has around 180(S4) and 200(S5) HP STOCK! So why fiddle around with all those mods just to get the stock Turbo II HP of the RX?

2nd is the mid engine layout.... I'm not sure about the MR2, but i do know the RX-7 has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution?

3rd is this " cooking your engine"... Dude what the hell are you talking about? Do you know anything about a Rotary engine?
What makes you think you think you will cook a Rotary over a normal Piston engine? With the correct maintance a Rotary can last just as long if not longer than a piston engine.

I just suggest you browse the www.rx7club.com forum for a bit and check things out.
The RX-7's are a very fun and neat car to drive. Don't let the whole Rotary engines suck " they always blow apex seals" thing let you down. Before you listen to people who know nothing about them i suggest you do some research and just see how reliable any RX-7 can be.
:D

SAiamNE
05-29-2004, 08:50 PM
As far as Daily Driver goes i think if you went for a NA RX-7 it would probably be a better idea. But if a Turbo II is taken care of probably i can't see why it can't be used as a daily driver. Just expect to be putting out a little more money for the Turbo than the NA.

I think most RX-7s tend to rust around the rear wheel wells, but what car doesn't?
The RX's are RWD so keep in mind that they will be a little harder to handle in the winter, but many people including myself have found with decent winter tires it's really not that bad.

Mechanical Rotarys are also some what simple. No valves, cam-shafts etc.....:clap:
One last thing to remember is 3 power strokes per revolution...:drool:

method
05-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I'd get the mr2, but that's me.

Drsuce
05-29-2004, 10:03 PM
they dont have n/a rx7's in japan :P everything is turbo!

BigMass
05-29-2004, 10:06 PM
While 50/50 weight is great, it is not ideal for the track. You want something more along the lines of 40 front 60 rear. Like i said originally though, both are great. I definately did not mean to come off as saying that rotaries suck.

dcoultis
05-30-2004, 09:39 AM
check out the marketplace, my buddy has his RX7 turbo II forsale, and its mint

boostless
05-30-2004, 10:49 AM
id go w/ the FC :thumbsup:, but thas jus me, i think the AW11s looks so retardedly ugly...w/ the big spoilers like big white shopping carts almost...maybe thas jus me tho, since anyone i know thas owned one, has always been a super ricer/fag...

SleeperD
05-30-2004, 11:20 AM
rx-7 baby, i saw one last night that sounded soo nice.......BUT one thing is that they are not that great to look at....BUT u can make them look really nice if u do it nice and clean...but good car to mod and shit.....i had a buddy that had a MR-2...his kept on breaking down...soooo...and pluse i love the newer rx-7's

that is going to be my next car no matter what:love:

Lennon
05-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Between those two styles, I'd have to say MR2 for sure. Older Toyotas man. Can't kill 'em!