PDA

View Full Version : What is a good alarm system?

lammer
10-20-2002, 09:05 PM
with the recent thefts going on, what is a good alarm system.
and do you think we can create another group buy out of it?

[GaGe]
10-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Alarms don't make too much of a difference. They could still break in and steal your stuff.

lammer
10-20-2002, 09:07 PM
oh i forgot to mention a 12 gauge shotgun is a great theft device.

but an alarm will help out somewhat wouldn't it?

ancient
10-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Two way pager alarms are probably the best only cause they let you know when your alarms going off...

Compustar or Viper have them....

turboMiata
10-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by lammer
oh i forgot to mention a 12 gauge shotgun is a great theft device.

I prefer a Rottweiler.

szw
10-20-2002, 09:40 PM
Depends what you want to keep safe.

If you are interested in keeping the car itself, I would say the placement of the flashing LED and a good starter kill.

if you are interested in keeping the contents of your car safe...well get an alarm with back up battery and all the works if you want, but most importantly keep your stuff out of sight. Don't blast your system when you go to park your car.
Dark tinted windows help also.

Boost Infested
10-20-2002, 09:59 PM
hire a Mexican with a shotgun :D :poosie:

lammer
10-20-2002, 10:50 PM
Well when i get my car im looking for a good alarm system anyone wanan join in on the buy/.

James
10-21-2002, 12:14 AM
I just got a 2-way Paging Alarm installed on Tuesday made by "Predator"( Auto Start) at Visions, I like it so far, but i need to get the sensitivity tweaked a bit, a couple Loud Exhausts have set off the First Warning Already. Installed, with the blue lights, power locks tax included $500.

lammer
10-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Hrmm james which do you prefer that one predator alarm system or a compustar?

Weapon_R
10-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Can't get any better than a compustar.

I know where you can pick up a brand new compustar for 400 incl. tax. Lemme know if your interested.

Ben
10-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Can't get any better than a compustar.

I know where you can pick up a brand new compustar for 400 incl. tax. Lemme know if your interested.

yeah, and then 200+ for install, you can get it for like 550 installed at A&B

szw
10-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Unless you have a hook-up, A&B will charge extras for everything like door locks, LED, starter kill, just stuff like that.

Autodream would be your best bet.

I don't think compustar alarm's are that great though. Strictly talking alarms, not cool gadget stuff!

James
10-22-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by lammer
Hrmm james which do you prefer that one predator alarm system or a compustar?

Ive never had a Compustar so i dont know, i got a pretty good deal on mine, 2 or 3 year warranty( i forget) on parts/install included as well. :thumbsup:

lammer
10-22-2002, 12:28 AM
okay when i get my car, ill ask you guys wheres the best place to go and everything, who has best prices. and which alarms are most recommended.

boi-alien
10-22-2002, 10:50 AM
get the compustar at autodreams, best place to get it done... i think best deal, good install...

impressive
10-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Come by check out all our two-way units and see what you like the best! We have the largest two-way selection in the city!

Ben
10-22-2002, 04:03 PM
whats the address for Impressions and Autodream?

I'm going to pay a visit today

bksze
10-22-2002, 04:11 PM
tell you the truth, the alarms aren't that great . . . what you need is a good starter kill or ignition kill . . . i've known a couple of cars that have been jacked with the compustar alarm on it . . . thing is, if you employ some sort of starter kill, i don't believe your remote start works . . . assuming you have a manual . . . i believe that's what happens . . . don't quote me on that . . . i have something that I came across from Vancouver that utilizes a credit card or a keychain, and unless that key chain or credit card is within vicinity of the antenna, ie. inside the car . . . the car won't start . . . that's pretty neat to get but I didn't bother putting it on my car because I'm not too organized, tend to lose things easily and if you lose this card or keychain, then your car won't be starting . . .

sillysilvia
10-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Anywhere but Quinn they took my family for quite a ride last year, we won a free alarm, which apparantley everybody wins, all you have to do is pay for install but by the time you're done that's $600 because they charge you for every little option that's normally included at all the other shops! Where as you could probably get the same alarm & install anywhere else for like $200

Ben
10-23-2002, 09:33 AM
I am not woried about my car being stolen, its deterring them from the contents inside.