PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Plate metal

szw
10-21-2002, 12:06 AM
Anyone know where I can find a large sheet of diamond-plate metal to make a floormat? I want a black one though...can i buy it black or would I have to paint it or something? I would like to avoid painting it as I will be stepping all over it!

5gluder
10-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Try phoning the metal recycling plants. Try Calgary Metal, they may have some small pieces laying around. Most probably won't be black, i don't think i have ever seen them in black. I think there is a type of flat black spray paint that they use for BBQ's, use that stuff and i'm sure it will stay on.

MrX
10-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Caytec in Ogden has lots of the stuff. Thats where i bought mine. Oh yeah, ask them for 5 bar metal plate. The 3 bar checkers don't look quite right.

szw
10-21-2002, 03:49 PM
I will check it out.

I found a small website for some calgary metal technologies company. THey said they can make any kind of metal any size. They have painted metals and anodized metals. I have to read up on what anodizing means, I wonder if they can anodize my wheels?

Anyways I'll give them a call tomorrow, and I will check out Caytec as well.

Mrx..how much did it cost you? Was it for floormats, and do you have any pictures?

Thanks

MrX
10-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by szw
I will check it out.

I

Mrx..how much did it cost you? Was it for floormats, and do you have any pictures?

Thanks

http://merkur.beyond.ca/newint.jpg

4wheeldrift
10-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by szw
I will check it out.

I found a small website for some calgary metal technologies company. THey said they can make any kind of metal any size. They have painted metals and anodized metals. I have to read up on what anodizing means, I wonder if they can anodize my wheels?

Anyways I'll give them a call tomorrow, and I will check out Caytec as well.

Thanks

Anodizing is a surface treatment designed to harden the surface of a metal (generally aluminum) to make it tougher. They can also anodize for color or texture as well. Anodized surfaces will wear off eventually like anything else, but they won't peel or spall of as long as the surface integrity is maintained. The anodized surface is chemically similar to the naturally occuring oxides that protect a metal normally, only its much tougher since its chemically bonded to the metal underneath the coating.

szw
10-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks MR.x how much did they cost?

And I can't tell from the pic...are they just rectangular pieces, or do they bend upwards behind the pedal assembly?

szw
10-21-2002, 08:45 PM
So 4wheeldrift, would you suggest anodizing or powdercoating for a stronger, longer lasting finish for the alloy wheels?

4wheeldrift
10-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Anodizing would be a lot stronger and last way longer than powdercoating would. It would probably look better too, since the aluminum wheel could still retain its metallic finish, just with color added.

MrX
10-21-2002, 09:24 PM
I bought four pieces. Each of them are rectangular pieces. I paid 22 bucks for the lot. If you want a larger piece, just get them to cut a larger piece out for you.