PDA

View Full Version : Working on your car?

T5_X
10-21-2002, 02:30 AM
Hey, is it illegal to work on your car on the street? I've been working on my truck and car in the parking lot for my appt for a while and I guess I'm not allowed to. I was thinking of taking it to the corner of a big school, mall or church parking lot or something and working on it there, but I'm afraid I might get the car towed or something :banghead:

When winter rolls around, would it be very hard to find a garage to rent? I was thinking of putting an ad in the paper or something to rent part of someone's garage. Doesn't even need to be heated, I'll just get one of those electric heaters. I don't have too much money though, think I could find a place and just do oil changes and maintenace on the ppl's car(s) and pay like 10 or 20 bucks a month?

5gluder
10-21-2002, 10:11 AM
I remember someone saying there's a bussiness that lets you rent out a bay and work on your car, you could also use thier tools. I don't know if still exists though :dunno:

nookmumracing
10-21-2002, 10:26 AM
Ask Toma at Dynomotive. I think he has some space to rent out.

Arthur Dent
10-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Garages tend to run around $100/month from what I have seen :eek:

turboMiata
10-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Make some friends with large garages that contain lots of tools.

I've got a friend who built a 2 car "workshop" which attaches to his 2 car garage. It's heated, clean, comes with engine hoist, tools, etc!

Check out some of these guys' garages. There's a reason why people call us Miata guys freaks.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/news/garages.asp

Weapon_R
10-21-2002, 03:22 PM
Garages go for around 100-200\month. Check the bargain finder for prices and availability. I think it IS illegal to work on cars in the streets, but sometimes you have to. Usually only happens when someone complains about it. Taking the car to work on at a school or church is probably worse, since it is private property and they could probably have your car towed.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
10-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder
I remember someone saying there's a bussiness that lets you rent out a bay and work on your car, you could also use thier tools. I don't know if still exists though :dunno:

that place is called U-WRENCH - Bay5 1420 40th ave n.e

i dunno about pricing cuz i've never been there personally
but give them a call 250-1515

szw
10-21-2002, 07:23 PM
It's heated, clean, comes with engine hoist, tools, etc!

You call that clean? haha jk

DSM Power
10-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
Garages tend to run around $100/month from what I have seen :eek:

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Garages go for around 100-200\month

Heh, I think my rates just went up! :D (95TSiAWD and memystealthandi - this means you, LOL). :rofl:

turboMiata
10-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by szw

You call that clean? haha jk

heheh. it's not the same guy as in the picture!

CLiVE
10-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power

Heh, I think my rates just went up! :D (95TSiAWD and memystealthandi - this means you, LOL). :rofl:

Time to kick out the Mazda...can I just store my car there for the whole winter....jk.

Still up for helping me swap out my transfer case....lol.