PDA

View Full Version : Router, PC and PS2 problem

topher91
06-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey guys,

Just need some help here. We bought a DLink router (Dl-604). We got it so that my little bro can hook up his PS2 to play online and use our PC at the same time. We are using Shaw ISP on a motorolla Cable modem.

I plugged the modem into the router and ran Ether cable from the router to my PC. All lites are on (on the router) WAN lite, port 1 lite and pwr. I've configured the router like in the instructions that came with it.

With the router in, I can no longer use the internet, check my email or use the PS2 online. And I switched back to normal so I can post here for help but now I still cant check my email (I use Outlook Express) even with the router not in use?!! :eek:

Please help me out here. :banghead: I hate trying to fix my PC, just gives me a huge headache. :thumbsdow

There must be some sort of firewall or sumthing cuz the router we purchased has that capability. But I turned off all security from the router and still no go.

Thanks

Chris

topher91
06-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Ok, I fixed the email problem. Now how do I make the everything work when the router is in use?? :banghead: :banghead:

Doomsday88
06-01-2004, 09:18 PM
First things first, make sure your Router pulled an IP from shaw, Login into the router via IE.

secondly make sure your computer pulled an IP from the router.
start-->run-->cmd--->ipconfig. The IP address should probably read 192.168.x.x

Lastly please tell which e-mail program you are using to check your e-mail.

Hope this helps.

topher91
06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
OK. Did all that. That stuff was in the initial setup of the Router. I'm using Microsoft Outlook Express for email.

Phats
06-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Don't know if you did this but check to make sure that DHCP is enabled on the router, also, you have to reset your computer after plugging it into the router.

Doomsday88
06-02-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by topher91
OK. Did all that. That stuff was in the initial setup of the Router. I'm using Microsoft Outlook Express for email.

And the result regarding your IP was??? we can't see what's on your computer screen you know.

If you're using outlook express, and I'm assuming shaw cable, you'll need to change your incoming/outgoing mail server from "shawmail" to "shawmail.cg.shawcable.net"

accordboi_02
06-02-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Doomsday88

And the result regarding your IP was??? we can't see what's on your computer screen you know.

If you're using outlook express, and I'm assuming shaw cable, you'll need to change your incoming/outgoing mail server from "shawmail" to "shawmail.cg.shawcable.net"

That's only if you manually enter in your IP address into the router. If you set it to "automatically obtain IP address" you can still use just "shawmail".

At least that's how it worked with my router.

Gonthro
06-02-2004, 07:53 AM
you probably need to add your computer to the list of mac addresses that your router will allow access to.

also take a look at the cables running from your modem to your router and your router to both devices, look at the wires in thehead of them, they should all match up, (all the colours in the same place) these are called patch cables, you may have a crossover cable in there somewhere, which changes the order of the wires and causes stuff to not work.

topher91
06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

That's only if you manually enter in your IP address into the router. If you set it to "automatically obtain IP address" you can still use just "shawmail".

Yes it said to leave it on automatically obtain IP cuz I am on cable, it said sumthing like every cable modem user has a perm IP?? But I left it on shamail and it no worky?!

Originally posted by Gonthro
you probably need to add your computer to the list of mac addresses that your router will allow access to.

also take a look at the cables running from your modem to your router and your router to both devices, look at the wires in thehead of them, they should all match up, (all the colours in the same place) these are called patch cables, you may have a crossover cable in there somewhere, which changes the order of the wires and causes stuff to not work.

So I have to look inside the actual plug part you mean??

Gonthro
06-02-2004, 09:28 AM
the plug ends should be learn and you can see the wires through it.

Doomsday88
06-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

That only works with some routers as when they pick up the IP they also pick up the DNS with it, other routers do not. Seeing as "Shawmail" doesn't work when he's on his router, his router doesn't pick up the DNS. Not all routers work the same way unfortunately.

Doomsday88
06-02-2004, 12:00 PM

you don't need to add the MAC address to your router, Shaw doesn't map MAC's on their system like telus does, you can add networks cards left and right and still pick up IP's. Please reply with whether your computer picks up a 192.168.x.x IP when you're on your router or not. thanks.

Gonthro
06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Doomsday88

you don't need to add the MAC address to your router, Shaw doesn't map MAC's on their system like telus does, you can add networks cards left and right and still pick up IP's. Please reply with whether your computer picks up a 192.168.x.x IP when you're on your router or not. thanks.

i said nothing baout shaw or telus, im not talking about thier routers, i am talking about his. it has nothing to do with the isp.

some routers require that you add the mac addresses of the componants you are plugging into it for security preferences.

topher91
06-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Yea it picks up the IP of the router which is 192.168.0.1

I can log into the router and change configs and such. Step 4 of the config of the router says that I must clone the MAC address of the computer that was connected to the internet.

On the status screen of the router says that my DHCP is Connected. It also shows my IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and a DNS. It has this under the two separate headings: LAN and WAN.

I'm sooooo lost here :confused:

Doomsday88
06-02-2004, 09:57 PM
the LAN address will your internal address 192.168.x.x
The WAN address is one you are mainly concerned with, it should read either 24.x.x.x or 68.x.x.x, which means you've picked up a shaw IP address.

If not, double check your connections from your router to the modem, if you do have a shaw IP address, check under internet explorer options tools-->internet options--->connections--->LAN settings, and make sure that nothing is checked off in there. If there is, uncheck it and try connecting.

Doomsday88
06-02-2004, 09:59 PM

i said nothing baout shaw or telus, im not talking about thier routers, i am talking about his. it has nothing to do with the isp.

some routers require that you add the mac addresses of the componants you are plugging into it for security preferences.

as he has stated he can log into the router to configure the router, so there is no securty regarding adding the MAC to the router, the only thing he will need to add the MAC to the router for is for the ISP to recognize the MAC. Shaw does not require this (see above he is on a shaw connection)

topher91
06-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Yup I do have an IP: 64.xx.xx.... Wut do I do with that?? My IE options like you said have nothing cheked in it.

The computer doesn't say that I am not connected to the internet, but when I open IE to my homepage (beyond.ca) it says DNS error.

topher91
06-03-2004, 04:45 PM
yay!!! :D ALL fixed now. Everything worx. Thanks Doomsday88 for the help!!

Got the tech over at DLink to help me and the email part u nailed!!! :thumbsup:

Gonthro
06-03-2004, 06:04 PM
so waht was the problem?