PDA

View Full Version : Niemenen Suspended 1 game

accordboi_02
06-02-2004, 10:46 AM
What hypocritical BS from the NHL. Stillman doesn't get suspended because Nilson was able to play the next game. Lecavalier IS going to play next game, yet NHL now decides that it's the action that should be punished, not the result. Can these idiots ever make up their minds?? :banghead:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl_network/news_story.asp?id=86152

Oh for anyone wanting to give Mr Campbell feedback on his hypocracy, here is contact info:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Finally, if it somehow ends up that Lecavalier doesn't play in game 5, I will eat crow and admit I was wrong, as Niemenen for Lecavalier is definitely a trade that I would take.

Impreza
06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
thats fucking bullshit, i admit it was a bad hit, but to suspend him in game 5 of the stanley cup playoffs when so much other stuff has been overlooked is just retarded.
:thumbsdow :bullshit: :bullshit: :thumbsdow

GingeRRRBeef
06-02-2004, 11:25 AM
IMO, it's fucking crap but you gotta protect the star players right?

Altezza
06-02-2004, 11:30 AM
If they are now deciding that it is the action that should be punished and not the result, should they not be revisiting Stillman's incident?

davidI
06-02-2004, 11:31 AM
I could see this coming - I do feel that Stillman deserved something too though if this was gonna be called.

Ajay
06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I had a feeling this would happen. If it had been anyone else (i.e. Warrener, Clark, Ferrence..etc) that had made this hit on Lecavalier and not Niemenen I can gaurantee there would have been NO suspension.

The fact he was suspended once already for knocking over Joseph in Game 5 against Detroit and his reputation as a 'pest' sealed his fate for Game 5 after that hit on Lecavalier.

Still bullshit regardless but he was suspended against Detroit in Game 5 and Calgary ended up winning it so hopefully they can do the same against Tampa!

roopi
06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Good call Mr. Campbell.

It was a dirty hit and it deserves a suspension.

Z_Fan
06-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I agree it was a dirty hit. Not sure it's worth much more than the 5 minutes and a game that he already got. But hey, whatever. It wasn't really a 'super dirty' hit. Just got the arms up. He didn't take extra strides, etc. Basically Lecavalier just changed direction to follow the puck, and it was circumstance that he was hit the way he was (as far as from behind). It's not like he was standing there for 10 seconds and then got whacked.

At least it's only 1 game.

Shaolin
06-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I expect some consistency from now on.. although yes it was dirty and i was not impressed about him pulling that crap at all..

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Good call Mr. Campbell.

It was a dirty hit and it deserves a suspension.

then where is the suspension due for stillman?

its complete and utter bull.
how these "Star" players get such treatment from the league.

someone spears someone else. you get suspended quite hard...but not in messier's case..hes a star so he gets 2 games.

if nemo hit someone else of less star calibre he would be all fine and dandy.

and for all the people who were "OMG GREZTKY AN IDIOT FOR NOT PUTTING VINNY ON THE CANADIAN NATIONAL TEAM"
i guess he knew all along what this kid was capable of.

roopi
06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

then where is the suspension due for stillman?

its complete and utter bull.
how these "Star" players get such treatment from the league.

someone spears someone else. you get suspended quite hard...but not in messier's case..hes a star so he gets 2 games.

if nemo hit someone else of less star calibre he would be all fine and dandy.

It doesn't matter who he would have hit. He hit him from behind. He had no way of defending himself.

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by roopi

It doesn't matter who he would have hit. He hit him from behind. He had no way of defending himself.

i gurantee you that if he hit someone else he wouldn't have got 5 minutes or a suspension.

and thanks to his great move of not tying down his helment and the works of his teammates telling him to stay down until nemo skated off i wonder why..

eb0i
06-02-2004, 12:36 PM
this suspension is bullshit but probably best for the teams interests because now there won't be any retaliation against Nieminen in the next game.

However it is bullshit they over looked the call on stillman and what about the hit on nieminen from roy that same game as well?

How about the hit on Commodore that broke his noise thanks to Marleau?

Lecavalier better not play if Nieminen doesn't play.

boi-alien
06-02-2004, 12:50 PM
i saw this coming. on the same token of the coin, shouldn't stillman's case be reviewed then? this is utter BS IMHO i'm not saying this cause i'm a Flames fan, I'm voicing this because there's no consistancy in the suspensions dealt out. Good for levavelier for being a good actor as well.

ryder_23
06-02-2004, 01:22 PM
This is fucking :bullshit:
I could understand if Lecal was seriously hurt they take action, but he got up under his own power, and only left the ice, to not draw more attention and get his little scratch repaird...i was loving how iggy was making fun of him at the end, when he was skating off, or atleast thats how it lookd to me. Honestly, we've been given nothing but shit calls this whole playoffs.

Stillmans wasnt considerd as bad, cause we didnt lie on the ice for as long as lecalvier did...like fuck off NHL, changed your officiating system, cause its not working...

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
IMO

i dont think the NHL wants a canadian team to win the cup.
they want an american team to win so they can boast their ratings and make more $$$$.

they don't care about the game, they just want money.

bettman = teh SUCK!

roopi
06-02-2004, 01:34 PM
:rofl:

You guys sound like Leafs fans.

Gondi Stylez
06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
fuckin fuckin :bullshit:

stillmans hit on neilson was way worse then ville's hit on that pussy vince! stillman took of neilsons ear pretty much and lecavlier just got bumped! albiet that is was sort of a cheapish shot but hey there needs to be consistenicy esp, when the stakes are so high! ie lord stanley! i know the flames will be pissed and it might force the leauge to revist the stillman hit! hut flames will take game 5 and ville will score a goal in game 6 and the flames will drink from the mug!! :clap:

fuck the NHL headoffices, fuck vice and fuck stillman also!:guns:

personally i like ville alot so :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for him!

Gondi Stylez
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
and btw, vinny has had a reputation for not having his helmet strap done up and over-exeratting hits!

my friends brother was the center to vinny and richards at notre dame for uni on their school team and he told me that both richards and vinny always pull cheap shit like that! hahah they even used to tie both guys up and throw them in the bus bathroom for the whole road trip!! haha and they are supposdly are gay together according to that hockey team for those years!

well jaret would have made the nhl but he got 8 concussions, cuz he was just unlucky! cuz if he was in the nhl he would have showed both those pussys everytime they played eachother!

ok done my ranting!

rage2
06-02-2004, 01:53 PM
i dont think the NHL wants a canadian team to win the cup.
they want an american team to win so they can boast their ratings and make more $$$$.
The US ratings for the finals have been the WORSE in the last 10 or so years. Nobody in the states cares for this years playoffs. 650,000 in the US watched game 1 of the finals. I'll bet there were more Calgary folks watching game 1 than the entire US population!

It wont matter if Calgary or Tampa Bay wins in terms of ratings. ESPN/ABC and the NHL are already the losers.

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2

The US ratings for the finals have been the WORSE in the last 10 or so years. Nobody in the states cares for this years playoffs. 650,000 in the US watched game 1 of the finals. I'll bet there were more Calgary folks watching game 1 than the entire US population!

It wont matter if Calgary or Tampa Bay wins in terms of ratings. ESPN/ABC and the NHL are already the losers.

it was in the neighbourhood of 3.028 Million people who watched game 1. second most viewings of an NHL game behind only Game 7 of the stanley cup finals in 94. (most viewed hockey game was the olympic gold medal game :) ) (edit: I meant 3.028 Million in total of canada..)

i mean if the nhl has such crappy american teams why not rid of them? and move some back up here...

i know people in winnipeg are anxious for a team again.

rage2
06-02-2004, 02:01 PM
hehe yea, Canadian ratings kicked ass (obviously) :).

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I wonder what the ratings will be (when :angel: ) the flames hold a 3-2 series lead heading into saturday. :bigpimp:

rage2
06-02-2004, 02:07 PM
hehe made some errors in my stats.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040528/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_stanley_cup_ratings_1

Correct stats there. 1 million watching games 1 and 2, average was 650,000 over 32 games on ESPN :).

Still pretty disappointing for the US networks considering Canada tripled the viewership! Maybe they should calculate the Canadians that watch US TV... I'll bet there's at least a million watching the game on pirated US signals lol! Advertisers will be a bit happier hehe.

eb0i
06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
It's hard for the americans to get ratings for the NHL play offs when the NBA playoffs are happening too. NBA>NHL down there...heck NBA + NFL > NHL there.

roopi
06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
i mean if the nhl has such crappy american teams why not rid of them? and move some back up here...

i know people in winnipeg are anxious for a team again.

Because teams don't make money here. They have to pay their players in U.S.D.

Another major factor is that in the U.S., NBA and NHL teams oftem share buildings. NBA teams always sell their boxes. So this means that the NHL team gets a cut of that revenue as well. In Canada the NHL team has to sell the boxes. This makes a huge difference.

RiCE-DaDDy
06-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2
hehe made some errors in my stats.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040528/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_stanley_cup_ratings_1

Correct stats there. 1 million watching games 1 and 2, average was 650,000 over 32 games on ESPN :).

Still pretty disappointing for the US networks considering Canada tripled the viewership! Maybe they should calculate the Canadians that watch US TV... I'll bet there's at least a million watching the game on pirated US signals lol! Advertisers will be a bit happier hehe.

it says households so it could be more more ppl, but ya the point is the same.

SI-vic
06-02-2004, 03:40 PM
back on topic

not suprised that Niemenen got suspended.

Did he deserve it?
Hmmm well it doesnt matter if he did or not but the NHL isnt consistent with what they're doing.

First the poor officiating, and now the suspensions.
It's funny how the league works.

cujo_cjc
06-02-2004, 04:11 PM
wow..this makes my day even worse than it already was :banghead:

finboy
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
sutter's comments were gold.

Moe Man
06-02-2004, 06:50 PM
who cares we dont need vinny fuck him we will still win the cup

GO FLAMES GO ( even without vinny)

SI-vic
06-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by finboy
sutter's comments were gold.

:dunno:
could you share his comments please?
I didnt catch what he said.....

davidI
06-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by SI-vic

:dunno:
could you share his comments please?
I didnt catch what he said.....

He said he should bitch more and it was an error on his part not to
(This in response to Colin Cambell saying the lightning came to him about the Nieminen hit whearas Calgary did not dispute the Stillman hit)

Apparently Calgary is known as 'Street Figthers' to the U.S. so Sutter said he was surprised they were even allowed through customs

At the end he asked if the lightning players were available to the media today and the media said no so sutter said in that case, Calgary isn't available either.

davidI
06-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Apparently Colin Cambell is reviewing having Kerry Fraser ref game 6 as well now, atleast that's what he said to Grant Pollock

roopi
06-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

:confused:

Perfect example of the bandwagon. :rofl:

finboy
06-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by davidI

He said he should bitch more and it was an error on his part not to
(This in response to Colin Cambell saying the lightning came to him about the Nieminen hit whearas Calgary did not dispute the Stillman hit)

Apparently Calgary is known as 'Street Figthers' to the U.S. so Sutter said he was surprised they were even allowed through customs

At the end he asked if the lightning players were available to the media today and the media said no so sutter said in that case, Calgary isn't available either.

or when his phone rang during the confrense and he said "thats probably new york calling me right now" or something to that affect :clap:

TalonVelocity
06-02-2004, 08:18 PM

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAhAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

go flames go hey pal! you're a real fan, always followed em I bet!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
and the lightning players and coach had "no comments" for anything.

vinnny said he is doing good and said he was dizzy for liek 30 minutes hahaha :bullshit: and hes gonna play game 5:thumbsdow

SI-vic
06-02-2004, 09:07 PM
and the lightning players and coach had "no comments" for anything.

vinnny said he is doing good and said he was dizzy for liek 30 minutes hahaha :bullshit: and hes gonna play game 5:thumbsdow

he's dizzy from THAT?

ooooh right forgot, he's a little bitch

MoeMan...
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hockeybronx
06-02-2004, 09:12 PM
I usually like the type of players that Nieminen is, Darcy Tucker is my favorite player.

But the fact is that he has a history throughout the season and even in the playoffs.

I'm not saying anything about the Stillman hit or anything else because I really don't care, and the fact is nothing was called.

But I definetely think Nieminen deserved what he got, and I hope it costs his team.

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I usually like the type of players that Nieminen is, Darcy Tucker is my favorite player.

But the fact is that he has a history throughout the season and even in the playoffs.

I'm not saying anything about the Stillman hit or anything else because I really don't care, and the fact is nothing was called.

But I definetely think Nieminen deserved what he got, and I hope it costs his team.

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

davidI
06-02-2004, 09:17 PM

Actually, he said he was dizzy for 30 and then he felt GREAT

:thumbsdow :guns:

Weapon_R
06-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Yes, we definately don't need Vinny :rolleyes:

That comment is absolute GOLD :rofl:

accordboi_02
06-02-2004, 09:28 PM

And Tucker and Marchment don;t have a history throughout the season and the playoffs? :rolleyes:

No doubt that Niemenen deserved the suspension, my problem is the absolute hypocracy of the NHL in determining what should and shouldn't be suspended.

hockeybronx
06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
my problem is the absolute hypocracy of the NHL in determining what should and shouldn't be suspended.

Okay I'm not arguing with you at all, but where is the hypocracy.

I don't really think Stillmans hit should have been a suspension, it definetely should have been a penalty as was the case when Yelle jumped and hit the Tampa defenceman in game two or three I think it was.

lam-boy
06-02-2004, 09:45 PM

I don't really think Stillmans hit should have been a suspension, it definetely should have been a penalty as was the case when Yelle jumped and hit the Tampa defenceman in game two or three I think it was.

It was Gelinas on Kubina in game 3...

accordboi_02
06-02-2004, 09:47 PM

Campbell thought it was suspension worthy, IF Nilson couldn't have played the next game. Since he did play the next game, no suspension. To make it simple, Campbell set the precedent: if the victim can play the next game, then no need for a suspension.

Then he turns around today and says "it doesn't matter if Lecavalier plays game 5 or not, we're punishing the offence, not the result."

those come in the span of 3 days, how is that not hypocritical?

toyotaz23
06-02-2004, 09:53 PM
If it was someone like Taylor on the lightning who got nailed nothing would of happened, it's just the NHL trying to protect star players.......which I think is bullshit. A player is a player, treat them all the same. Same crime should carry the same consequences.

finboy
06-02-2004, 09:57 PM

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gongSHOW
06-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Ok, that was compelte an utter bull crap, how did he get suspended in the stanley cup finals, in game 5, when Lecavilier didn't even had his chin strap up, techincally he should have been sent off the ice. It was obvious that the reaction to the hit was inrelation to him being down. If you are going to call that, you have to call the stillman hit, he left his feet and elbowed Nilson directly in the head. There can't be double standards because one's a star player! another bull sh*t call by the NHL!

gongSHOW
06-02-2004, 10:11 PM

when you leave your feet that is boarding, when you elbow a guy in the head, depending on the severity it is a minor or major penalty. Both these together result in a Major penalty, usually with a game misconduct, how can u say that there should no suspension?

T5_X
06-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by toyotaz23
If it was someone like Taylor on the lightning who got nailed nothing would of happened, it's just the NHL trying to protect star players.......which I think is bullshit. A player is a player, treat them all the same. Same crime should carry the same consequences.

I remember this being a big deal when Moore hit Naslund that one game and got nothing for it.

The NHL turned around and said that there was no special rules to protect star players, so everyone in the league would be protected fairly and evenly. Hmmmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

Yah the hit was dirty, 5 minutes was justified for the hit, the real crime was the acting that ensued after the hit. And I never got why some players don't fasten thier chin straps, real fuckin bright...

Who was the dickhead commentator that was preaching for like 5 mins after that hit that Nieminen deserved a game misconduct?

CKY
06-02-2004, 11:27 PM
i think sutter should put up a"grind line" like detroit, with our current roster, we should have oliwa, simon, and lowry on one line for some much needed punishments, too bad their all left wingers :(

eb0i
06-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

Who was the dickhead commentator that was preaching for like 5 mins after that hit that Nieminen deserved a game misconduct?

that would be none other than the senile harry neal or incompetent bob cole....take your pick.

hockeybronx
06-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by gongSHOW
when you leave your feet that is boarding, when you elbow a guy in the head, depending on the severity it is a minor or major penalty. Both these together result in a Major penalty, usually with a game misconduct, how can u say that there should no suspension?

Not in the playoffs man, it takes a lot to be suspended. The essence of the Nieminen hit is:
1). It was from behind
2). It was 3 feet away from the boards
3). Lecalvier's helmet came off during the hit.

It could have been bad luck, but it happens, after looking at the replays I still don't think Stillmans hit warrented a suspension.

hockeybronx
06-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by CKY
i think sutter should put up a"grind line" like detroit, with our current roster, we should have oliwa, simon, and lowry on one line for some much needed punishments, too bad their all left wingers :(

Okay I can agree with Simon and Oliwa, but Lowry? I think he is definetely past his punishing days.

Saprykin is not bad for his size, even though I can't stand him. He gets pretty out of control... very unpredictable.

finboy
06-02-2004, 11:47 PM

Not in the playoffs man, it takes a lot to be suspended. The essence of the Nieminen hit is:
1). It was from behind

It could have been bad luck, but it happens, after looking at the replays I still don't think Stillmans hit warrented a suspension.

his helmet came off because it wasn't strapped on :rolleyes:

hockeybronx
06-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by finboy

his helmet came off because it wasn't strapped on :rolleyes:

That's why I said "maybe it was bad luck".

Jeez:nut:

Gondi Stylez
06-03-2004, 01:45 AM
here are sutters comments!!

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin/news/comments.cgi?type=newsroom&file_num=0000000264

PGTze
06-03-2004, 02:46 AM
That was weeeeeeaaaak!

The NHL gets softer and softer by the minute :rolleyes: :thumbsdow:

Skyline_Addict
06-03-2004, 06:49 AM
yep, i think most of us can agree it was a bad hit.
but how many bad hits, most of which were worse than that, were not deemed worth of suspensions..... when reffing gets inconsistent, it gets bad.....

Skyline_Addict
06-03-2004, 06:51 AM

1). It was from behind

yeah...considering the fact that stillman put his elbow up to nilson's head? okay buddy....:dunno:

gongSHOW
06-03-2004, 07:22 AM

1). It was from behind

Being 3 feet away from the boards has nothing to do with anything when calling a penalty. Your trying to support the leagues decisions, yet you yourself said that point 3 shouldn't be considered and it was bad luck that his helmet came off. Then how can you condone the leagues decision????? It makes no sense!

Skyline_Addict
06-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by gongSHOW

Being 3 feet away from the boards has nothing to do with anything when calling a penalty. Your trying to support the leagues decisions, yet you yourself said that point 3 shouldn't be considered and it was bad luck that his helmet came off. Then how can you condone the leagues decision????? It makes no sense!

:werd:

i respect your argument in any retrospect...but it has to be consistent man....
it's like you're saying it's okay, yet it's not...

accordboi_02
06-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Of course you don't think that warrants a suspension; if it did then you'd never see your precious Tucker play again b/c he'd be suspended after every hit he throws.