PDA

View Full Version : admisson into a program at u of c

5abi
06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
hey guys, i'm applying to geophysics next yr, and have all the pre reqs except glgy 201, 203.

When i applyw ill they look at my past 10 classes or my pre req classes for the program..thnx tia

Weapon_R
06-02-2004, 01:49 PM
If you don't have the prereqs, you don't get in.

Take them in the summer if possible.

5abi
06-02-2004, 02:13 PM
i have all da pre reqs, i juss have a D in one of em

D'z Nutz
06-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately, if that class with a D is a pre-req for another class, you are going to have to retake it and get atleast a C- before they will allow you to take any classes that require it. Having that D doesn't do your GPA any good either, which they take into consideration when considering allowing you into the faculty.

in*10*se
06-02-2004, 04:05 PM
no go because u don't have the prereq's you have to have a C- in all prereq's to get in... and then there's also a GPA cut off most likely soo no, you're fucked.:thumbsdow

CLiVE
06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
or talk to the dept. and see if you can take it as a coreq, etc. Sometimes they will make exceptions.

5abi
06-02-2004, 04:09 PM
thnx for ur input guys i should make this clearer

the course is a require ment 21 get into the department but its not a prereq for ne of the coureses!!????

what u say now?? i've got many mixed answers from the councelrs and department heads alll contradicting some say its ok some so no, some say it could be ok damn

bommie_1
06-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Each department varies in their prereq requirements. Some faculties will let you have a D in a prereq class and still take the next class (Engineering being one) ...I'm not sure about the geophysics department and their criteria. Go talk to the dean of admissions is your best bet.

If you don't have all the prereq's then you'll be placed in a different tier for admission as in:
Tier 1 are those that have all prereq's and minimum acceptable GPA

Tier 2 are those that have partial prereq's and minimum acceptable GPA

Tier 3 are those that have all the prereq's and below minimum acceptable GPA

and finally Tier 4 are those that don't have all prereq's and below minimum acceptable GPA (which means you won't get in unless nobody applies for the faculty/department)