PDA

View Full Version : Some UofC courses

D'z Nutz
06-02-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm registered in a couple options I'm not too sure about. To those of you who have taken this class, what sort of material and topics are covered in these:

CNST 333 - COMPARISON OF CDN & AMER CULTURES
ANTH201 - INTRO PRIMATOL & HUMAN EVOLUTION

I'm sure these classes are easy, but are they interesting?

Weapon_R
06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Its not fun, its not easy, and its not particularly interesting.

D'z Nutz
06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
What did the Anth class talk about?

Weapon_R
06-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Monkeys and their evolution to humans. You have to learn the name of every single "type" of monkey, when the neanderthals were around, who they fought with, etc. It's the gayest course i've ever taken.

D'z Nutz
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
God damn it! Now I have to find another option!

kiwi
06-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Are you good at memorizing notes, & then just regurgitating them on the exam? That's what Anth 201 is all about!

If you ever do decide to take it, do NOT take it w/ Hugh Notman. That guy is the worst prof in the world! This course is all about notes, notes, & notes, yet he does not give any :guns:

Weapon_R
06-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I had Hugh when he was a masters student - he was absolutely terrible. Once again, do not take this class if you care nothing about how humanoids and hominids (yes, two different things) evolved and what year, what time period (Jurassic Period, etc) and who they had sex with or battled with. Do not take this course if you do not care about how neanderthal skulls were shaped, and how their skulls compared to the Maccac Monkeys or how they were most likely involved with sexual intercourse with humans and how people today have neanderthal ancestry.

D'z Nutz
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Ugh, screw that.

Has anyone taken GRST 345 - Rome: The Late Republic and Early Empire?

in*10*se
06-02-2004, 04:00 PM
bad... u have to memorize slides and pictures.. and lilst out time periods, attributes etc.... not a fun course....

try rels333, mupf 205/305/405/505, geog363, coms 363, that's about all i can think of off the top of my head... i'll ask some friends

kiwi
06-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
bad... u have to memorize slides and pictures.. and lilst out time periods, attributes etc.... not a fun course....

try rels333, mupf 205/305/405/505, geog363, coms 363, that's about all i can think of off the top of my head... i'll ask some friends

Coms 363... that's the Technical Writing one right? If you can, take it w/ Brian Hatton... guaranteed A!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Gainsbarre
06-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Try MUHL 309.09 -- History of Funk Music :thumbsup:

I've signed up for that class, even though I'm not a fan of that kind of music. From what I've heard it is a great option and an easy A.

kiwi
06-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Try MUHL 309.09 -- History of Funk Music :thumbsup:

I've signed up for that class, even though I'm not a fan of that kind of music. From what I've heard it is a great option and an easy A.

I had a friend that took a music course like that... she said it was the worst course ever! The prof was horrible, & majority of the class were music majors to begin with, so she had no idea what was going on & stuff... I don't recommend it.

Gainsbarre
06-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

I had a friend that took a music course like that... she said it was the worst course ever! The prof was horrible, & majority of the class were music majors to begin with, so she had no idea what was going on & stuff... I don't recommend it.

:confused:

Really? Oh crap. I was just going by the ratings on the infonet for the last time MUHL 309.09 was offered, which look really good...

Overall rating for section 6.84/7.00 (with 86.4% saying "excellent")
88.4% are non music majors ("Not in departnemt of major")
70.5% expect an A or A-, the rest expect grades in the B range.

It says in the calendar that MUHL 309.XX courses are designed for non-music majors to begin with...now I don't know what to think.

KELSTAR
06-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I would take Anthropology 203 over 201. This one is about cultures and civilizations as opposed to memorizing different apes and monkeys.. It is pretty easy if you have ever taken any sociology classes too! Easy A in my opinion!!

Castoh1
06-02-2004, 10:55 PM
If you want an easy option take something like Geology 209 with Padden. Every test was multiple choice and I think you could pull the 2 hour final off in about 30 minutes. The only downside is that when I took it it was all powerpoint and the class was extremely boring. You will probably end up skipping most of it. :thumbsup:

Grst 345 with Vanderspoel didnt have any slides or pictures to memorize but all his tests were essays. I found the guy to be very dry and his jokes suck so if you can find someone else to teach it at least the stuff they talk about isn't half bad.

sexualbanana
06-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Castoh1
If you want an easy option take something like Geology 209 with Padden. Every test was multiple choice and I think you could pull the 2 hour final off in about 30 minutes. The only downside is that when I took it it was all powerpoint and the class was extremely boring. You will probably end up skipping most of it. :thumbsup:

The GLGY final was a joke. When I took it couple years ago, I finished it in 40 minutes and got an A. Her lectures do get boring but what science lecture isn't?

D'z Nutz
06-03-2004, 11:26 AM

Hahaha! Sounds like me. I dunno, I don't really find rocks all that interesting.

Grst 345 with Vanderspoel didnt have any slides or pictures to memorize but all his tests were essays. I found the guy to be very dry and his jokes suck so if you can find someone else to teach it at least the stuff they talk about isn't half bad.

Unfortunately he will be the instructor for the class again. What sort of materical was covered in the class? Were there term papers or projects?

That.Guy.S30
06-03-2004, 12:10 PM
dont tkae anth 201 with behie.. horrible time i tell you. heres an expamle of what she says in class, "i duno if its categorized as this or this.. but it will be on your test.." hahaah that fucks you up sooooooo bad

kiwi
06-03-2004, 12:56 PM
I took Anth 201 three years ago in the Spring with Dr. Provokah (sp?)... she talks really fast, but she's a good prof! The lectures were 2 hours, so she would teach for the first hour, & then show us some pretty cool videos for the 2nd hour everyday... I thought the course was really interesting, but there was soooo much stuff to memorize!

The exams were straight out of the notes though... so just memorize everything & you'll be fine. I got an A :D

kiwi
06-03-2004, 12:59 PM

Really? Oh crap. I was just going by the ratings on the infonet for the last time MUHL 309.09 was offered, which look really good...

It says in the calendar that MUHL 309.XX courses are designed for non-music majors to begin with...now I don't know what to think.

You want to take this in the Fall/Winter right? well, give it a try... at least you have like 2 weeks to decide if you want to drop it or not... hee hee

Castoh1
06-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Unfortunately he will be the instructor for the class again. What sort of materical was covered in the class? Were there term papers or projects?

No, there were no term papers or projects just two midterms and a final. All the questions on the exams were written essays. 2 essays on each of the midterms and 3 on the final.

He mostly talked about the transition from Republic to Empire and all the different Emperors that ruled. I found the material to be interesting but I'm a part history major. Its ashame that there isnt somebody else teaching because he finds a way to make everything boring and you wish the class would end.

D'z Nutz
06-03-2004, 02:36 PM

No, there were no term papers or projects just two midterms and a final. All the questions on the exams were written essays. 2 essays on each of the midterms and 3 on the final.

He mostly talked about the transition from Republic to Empire and all the different Emperors that ruled. I found the material to be interesting but I'm a part history major. Its ashame that there isnt somebody else teaching because he finds a way to make everything boring and you wish the class would end.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it :thumbsup:

KELSTAR
06-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Whatever you do, do not take this course with Jones. I took it with him two years ago and he was the worst prof I ever had. He would not even repeat a fact if half the class asked him too.. as well his tests were way harder than other professors. ( I saw MC tests from other sections that year).

5abi
06-04-2004, 08:44 PM
takin astro205 its online in the fall

Dracor
06-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Anyone here ever do GRST 339 (HISTORY OF CLASSICAL GREECE ) with Heckel? Just wondering how he is and if there is a lot essays.

Castoh1
06-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Dracor
Anyone here ever do GRST 339 (HISTORY OF CLASSICAL GREECE ) with Heckel? Just wondering how he is and if there is a lot essays.

Heckel is better then Vanderspoel as a prof; at least he seemed more interesting. When I took the course there were no term papers but all his exams were essays. Two midterms with two essay questions each and one final with 3 essay questions.

One thing that I did not like about Heckel's exams was that he made you write prepared exams. He would give you the topic and you had to go to the library and get quotes/facts to bring in with you to write the paper. It all had to fit on a cue card though. It sounded easier then it was. :thumbsdow

I found Heckel to be rather political and not afraid to share his opinion on anything. Sometimes he was actually quite funny.

Mckenzie
06-07-2004, 09:12 AM

You are crazy NOT to take this course. Victor Coelho is the best prof I had had by far at the University. He is an incredibly talented musician and a very nice person. His teaching skills are far superior to most and his down to earthness makes learning in his class fun. He also won a runner up for teaching excellence last year. A very funny guy.....

I took MUHL 309.11 with him last year and I did not see anyone with a mark below 92 on either the midterm or the 3 page take home final. This course was the history of the Rolling Stones. How could you beat that for a University course?

The last 10% of the course was a presentation of a Rolling Stones song where we all got to dress up like the Rolling Stones, bring in our instruments and wail away. You DONT have to be a music major for this class and infact I only saw about 25 of the 90 students in that class put up thier hands when he asked if anyone was a music major.

Classes consist of:

1-Listening to him jam on his electric guitar
2-Listening to Music
3-Watching videos
4-Taking some notes on songs

It is the funnest class I have taken so far in my two years there and Victor is overloading the course so I can get in. If you dont want to take this course I have a few friends that would like to get in. :)

The class has nothing to do with musical theory. ;)

lilqt23
05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
I need a senior option preferably multiple choice exams...
any idea on easy ones to take?

I heard about arky325 and to take any geog...
any other suggestions?
:dunno:

5hift
05-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

Coms 363... that's the Technical Writing one right? If you can, take it w/ Brian Hatton... guaranteed A!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah I had to take Technical Writing as well, I took it with a diff prof, put in no effort and got a A ( the same for others i know in the class) So its a good class if your lazy but want a good mark. Oh yeah and it always seems to be packed with girls and only a few guys. :thumbsup:

Gainsbarre
05-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lilqt23
I need a senior option preferably multiple choice exams...
any idea on easy ones to take?

I heard about arky325 and to take any geog...
any other suggestions?
:dunno:

HISTORY OF THE ROLLING STONES!!! :thumbsup: Victor Coelho is teaching that again this coming fall instead of History of the Blues in the winter (probably has something to do with the fact that the Stones are coming to town in the near future) Exams aren't multiple choice though...but I'm certain that the questions will be give out beforehand. I took Victor's History of Funk class just this past semester and it is easily the most enjoyable class I've ever taken.

KELSTAR
05-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Arky 325 wasn't that bad but you have to be prepared to do the reading. I got an A- with a lot of effort and definitely could have had an A if I hadn't spent so much time studying for my other 4 midterms during midterm week!

I am in MUHL 309 right now with Paul Harris. It's on U2! it's sweet and it's like 3 hours a week so you cant' really beat that! In the summer he is doing one on the 80s if you are interested!

canadian_hustla
06-01-2005, 08:27 PM
My g/f took this class

ANTH201 - INTRO PRIMATOL & HUMAN EVOLUTION

she said it sucked, big time. You learn/have to memorize every single type of monkey (hundreds), family it is from, characteristics etc etc.

If you don't have photographic memory, than forget this course. I wouldn't take it in a million years

pints
06-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Anth 201 was one of the easiest classes I have ever taken. Alot of the stuff was really easy to memorise and some of it was pretty interesting.
Arky 325 with McCafferty in the fall so I would expect it to be focused heavily on Mexico.
As for Vanderspoel, he is very boring but his tests are easy to pass if you don't have problems keeping names and dates straight.

HPower
06-01-2005, 11:26 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about anth 201.

canadian_hustla
06-02-2005, 11:52 AM
^

I thought my girl was in 201, but apparently she was in 311 so i stand corrected.

201 is probably a joke. :thumbsup:

nosegrindR
06-02-2005, 02:29 PM
anth 201 sucked, i hated it. The readings were boring. I don't suggest you take this course.