PDA

View Full Version : Best Turbo Tuner in Town?

Kronyk
06-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Whats the best shop in Calgary in regards to turbo projects?

90_Shelby
06-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Thats a very broad question. What car, and for what use?

Kronyk
06-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Someone that can fine tune a turbo on a mazda klze v6

Weapon_R
06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Rage2 and Toma

b16Ateg
06-03-2004, 04:46 PM
nelson gonzalas or however you spell his last name.. too

Maxt
06-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by b16Ateg

Maybe for some cars, saw his handy work on a Mpfi v-8, I wasn't impressed...Maxt

bighead2267
06-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Reg from RCTS..........i think he will be one of the knowledge person in town...........

jdmsource
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Rage2 and Toma
:werd: :werd: :werd:

boostless
06-04-2004, 02:33 PM
id say Reg from RCTS as well, bumped into a guy w a green MKIv supra, opened the hood and saw a turbo the size fo a small steering wheel, tuned out to run 9.1 he was sayin...so, id say RCTS

legendboy
06-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Reg is definatly an athority on tuning however you pay for it. I believe he charges a minimum of $150/hour for his dyno time.

89coupe
06-04-2004, 03:30 PM
9.1 in the 1/4? Here in Calgary? When?

Originally posted by boostless
id say Reg from RCTS as well, bumped into a guy w a green MKIv supra, opened the hood and saw a turbo the size fo a small steering wheel, tuned out to run 9.1 he was sayin...so, id say RCTS

2000impreza
06-04-2004, 03:47 PM
RCTS has good reputation in the toyota and bmw community... i'm not sure if i would pay anyone $150/hour :eek: .

you need to give a little more info than "turbo on mazda klze". what kind of turbo setup? more importantly what ecu/engine management?

WGR4Pussies
06-04-2004, 10:40 PM
any moron can tune, hahaha.:thumbsup:

962 kid
06-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies
any moron can tune, hahaha.:thumbsup:

any moron can say that :thumbsup:

boostless
06-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
9.1 in the 1/4? Here in Calgary? When?

well, he didnt show me a slip, this was like, 2 weeks ish ago at husky in hawkwood, the cars from there too, dude seemed slihgjtly australian by accent, i went up n asked how much for the car? expecting if he'd say liek 30 ish my brother would take it right away, but hes like........100 grand...n i was like...unless u hav like a T60 in there w/ 1 litre injectors, ull never get that, he pops the hood n theres a MONSTER turbo in there, tires were 315s as well, its a darker green, looks almost stock outside...but yea, he didnt show me slips or noithing, but said it dyno'ed at 750 rwhp, from the size of the turbo i wouldnt doubt it, said it was all done by RCTS...

962 kid
06-04-2004, 11:15 PM
even with a T60 and 1 litre injectors, he'll never get that ;)

Redlyne_mr2
06-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by boostless

well, he didnt show me a slip, this was like, 2 weeks ish ago at husky in hawkwood, the cars from there too, dude seemed slihgjtly australian by accent, i went up n asked how much for the car? expecting if he'd say liek 30 ish my brother would take it right away, but hes like........100 grand...n i was like...unless u hav like a T60 in there w/ 1 litre injectors, ull never get that, he pops the hood n theres a MONSTER turbo in there, tires were 315s as well, its a darker green, looks almost stock outside...but yea, he didnt show me slips or noithing, but said it dyno'ed at 750 rwhp, from the size of the turbo i wouldnt doubt it, said it was all done by RCTS...
Id say BS on that guy nosoup4u had around 750whp on his supra and ran a best of 11.1 in edmonton

boostless
06-04-2004, 11:38 PM
probly, i woujldbnt b able to tell, this is all on what he told me, diodnt hav any slips or nothing, but it was a big big big turbo, n said ti was all from RCTS, so probly has some balls to it, maybe not as much as he claimed,

bighead2267
06-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Reg have tuned few supra more than 400 horse with it. so not surprised there is one with 700HP on it.........i know they charge expensive.......but i assume someone think it's worth it........i know TTE(team toyota europe)have invite him to german to tune their car b'coz there toyota have some problem and the car won't start. not sure about the others, but his supra prove alot of our guess...........

Maxt
06-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I met a guy with a mark III supra who had some work done by Reg, the guy was claiming 525 rwhp off some pretty minor HKS upgrades, air filter VPC, downpipe, etc etc, Reg is a pretty knowledgable guy and all, and his customers tend to believe what he tells them, however I think Reg embelishes alot especially when it comes to jusitfying the prices he charges, so I am thinking along the lines of Redline_MR2 here and gonna call bullshit...
If there was a world class tuner in Calgary for Toyota's there would be alot more toyota's at Race city running world class times I would think... a t60 in a supra might do 450, a t-66 maybe 550-600, you would need to be in the t-70 and up category to start thinking about 700+ rwhp...Also, alot of the stuff he does is all HKS oriented, paint by numbers add ons,so alot of the fueling and what not is alreayd figured out and premapped, its a safe way to go, but its not what the rest of the world would jusifty as tuning...

Loose
06-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Reg is cool, but i think he and/or his employees get carried away with the BS sometimes. Let's face it, with the jobs he gets contracted to do, I'm sure he is doing something right.

As for the green one making 750 to the ground, I don't think so! Last time I saw it, it still had a stock sidemount intercooler.

Dirty_SOHC
06-07-2004, 12:50 PM

:thumbsdow Not a Good tuner IMO

legendboy
06-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Here is your nelson tuned block dirty :rofl: How long did it last? like a month? Don't get me wrong, i like nelson, he is a nice guy but some of his tuning methods leave much to be desired.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/Paint%20Job/Roland1.jpg

b16Ateg
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
i jsut give him credit cos he is a friend of the family thats.. all but i know there are better tuners in calgary then him.. i just hear he can tune hondata good but i haven't got anything tuned by him..

whatthe
06-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Reg has a lot of knowledge and can usually sort through problems quite quickly on cars that come in. Although, as mentioned, he does cost. For most applications, you are just going to need a good tuner, and I think those other mentioned should be able to help you out jsut as well. I think Toma, Rage2, and Reg are all good because they show passion towards what they do.

As for the Supra, dark green isn't the most common color for Supras and I'm pretty sure that I know who you are talking about. The australian guy and his brother race Supras in Australia... I left the shop a little while back and didn't hear of any 9.1 second runs from him then (I didn't hear everything, but that would have been someting I did hear about). Although that doesn't mean it hasn't happened since. The crazy auzzie would be one guy in particular that could pull it off, especially on race gas. That car has just about every bit of work you could throw a pocket book at and makes huge power even with the boost controller off (over 500-530whp) on pump gas..

B18C
07-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Is nelson still doing tuning and car stuff?

custommx
07-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Do you have anything done to the ze cause you'll only be able to run about 5 psi since its 10.1 compression.

boostfed
07-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
a t60 in a supra might do 450, a t-66 maybe 550-600, you would need to be in the t-70 and up category to start thinking about 700+ rwhp

A T60 and race gas is good for atleast 550 SAE, and i've witnessed with my own eyes a T67-GTQ put almost 750 to the ground in a car. T72+ turbos are for cars that want to make 850+

Maxt
07-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by boostfed

A T60 and race gas is good for atleast 550 SAE, and i've witnessed with my own eyes a T67-GTQ put almost 750 to the ground in a car. T72+ turbos are for cars that want to make 850+
We're talking reality and rwhp here, put the superstreet magazine down and get your mom to snap her fingers..Maxt

jdmakkord
07-13-2004, 06:08 PM
What about Mau's 704rwp run with his t51?

boostfed
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM

We're talking reality and rwhp here, put the superstreet magazine down and get your mom to snap her fingers..Maxt

:rolleyes:

I don't read shitty import rags, I don't live with my mother, and I know for a fact that if you think a T66 can't make more than 600 to the tire you're dead wrong. Like I said, i've personally witnessed a PT67-GTQ do just under 750 to the wheels on C16, and I personally owned a car with a T60 (aka a 60-1) that did over 500 to the wheels SAE, through a fairly loose converter no less. Also, try not to come off as an asshole. We're all here because we love cars, and making dumb remarks usually only serves to piss people off.

jdmakkord: That was probably with an HKS "T51", which isn't really the same as a standard turbonetics T66, T72, etc. The HKS T51 has a 70MM inducer and a 94MM exducer, which is fairly similar in size to a typical T70.

method
07-13-2004, 07:06 PM
RCTS, hands down.

rage2
07-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by boostfed
I don't read shitty import rags, I don't live with my mother, and I know for a fact that if you think a T66 can't make more than 600 to the tire you're dead wrong.
A T66 maxes out at around 75lb/min of flow. How many hp that's capable of depends on type of fuel, air fuel ratio at that flow rate, timing, mechanical losses... tons of factors. The range can get pretty high, I've seen guys make 10whp for every lb/min of flow, which means 75lb/min translates to 750whp. Conservatively (meaning realistically on pump gas and the motor can support it), I usually see about 8whp for every lb/min of flow, which equates to 600whp.

Of course, your mileage may vary... which means arguing over it is a waste of time hehe ;).

Maxt
07-13-2004, 07:34 PM
And that car is your civic hatch I presume... By the way a T60 is not a 60-1...

Originally posted by jdmakkord
What about Mau's 704rwp run with his t51?

Funny, even Mau's number kinda prove what I said..

Remember when I said this

you would need to be in the t-70 and up category to start thinking about 700+ rwhp...

And then you said this

jdmakkord: That was probably with an HKS "T51", which isn't really the same as a standard turbonetics T66, T72, etc. The HKS T51 has a 70MM inducer and a 94MM exducer, which is fairly similar in size to a typical T70.

You keep saying your car, and this car and that car, the car the comments are about is a supra, not "a car"...Maxt

boostfed
07-13-2004, 09:33 PM
The car that I made over 500 to the wheels with was a 92 mustang, circa 1994 with a turbo engineering low mount kit and a 60-1, stock shortblock with some iron TFS heads, GT40 intake, and a C4 with a pretty loose stall. It made I think 518? Somewhere in there, SAE.

As for Mau's Supra, that doesn't prove your point at all. That turbo is not even close to being maxed out at 700 RWHP, that was probably at 26-28 PSI. That turbo is radically different from any typical T70, you can't even run a tnetics/PTE/ITS T70 on a supra because it surges so bad that it's undriveable.

Since all my info comes from real life experiences (I lived/grew up in Dallas since October) it's not like I was going to go up to owners and say "hey, wanna run off a copy of that dynosheet for me?" I went digging through www.supraforums.com for some stuff.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128025

PT67, 639 RWHP SAE through a power hungry turbo 400 with only 26 pounds of boost. Could have ran more boost, and that turbo would make more power with a GTQ wheel.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136972

PT67 .68 P-trim, 759 SAE on race gas. Once again, could have ran more boost and a GTQ wheel for more power. With a .81 or a .96 housing power would pick up significantly, even with the P-trim wheel.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115259

Look down in the thread a bit. 501 RWHP SAE from a T60 aka 60-1 on pump gas. From everything i've seen and heard in the past 10 years a T60 is a big shaft 60-1, and a T61 uses a different compressor wheel.

All the T72, T74, etc guys on there are making in the high 600's to anywhere in the 700's with stock longblock motors, and 800+++ with cams/headwork.

IMHO if you want 700-800 RWHP, you don't need the lag of a 1000 RWHP T76-GTS when a T67-GTQ will do the trick. Everything I've seen shows me that a 67 is capable of those numbers. If you don't think so, that's fine, more power to you, I guess.

Maxt
07-13-2004, 10:45 PM
A t- 60 is and the 60-1 aren't even based on the same overall frame of turbo, so what you read is wrong, I own a t-60 and its not a 60-1, careful what you read on the internet...

Funny, I am looking at the supra dyno sheet database right now, and find people running TWO t66's making 600-700 rwhp and people making the power you are suggesting with the PT67 are actually running pt76's not 67's...And People seem to be running turbos alot bigger than the T70 without surge problems by the looks of it, in fact most of these guys are running turbo's larger than t70's..
I did find a car running one T66, on race gas 26 psi, it made 512.7 hp, with hks cams...
If the power poured out of turbos like it looks like it does on paper, I would be running a smaller turbo than a T51 myself...Maxt

Kraut
07-14-2004, 06:15 PM
How do you tune a Turbo?
to me tuning means adjusting.
I only have worked on cummins Diesel Turbos and Audi Turbos Audi uses KKK (KKK's used on a lot of different cars)
A KKK Turbo from a Porsche Mounted on an Audi might Improvre the Audi.
The only way to Improve a KKK is by changing the wheels that is the part that cost the big bucks the new wheels.You might want to reseal it if it pumps oil.
or you want to change the wate gate spring so that it runns at higher preasures,but the ECU will mostlikely counteract and cut the fuel off if the preasure gets to high thus you have to change the chip first,The wastegate spring secondly and the turbo wheels thirdly that can give you a couple hundered HP More . Of course an improved Intercooler,a K&N filter and an Exhaust system will give you a 7 - 10 Hp improvemant as well.
Kraut

rx7_turbo2
07-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Well Kraut that was totally useless, thanks for that:rolleyes: :thumbsdow

legendboy
07-14-2004, 07:25 PM
hehe he obviously has no idea what were talking about. Kraut, we were orignaly talking about tuning standalones on turbocharged vehicles, now their debating turbos and whp.

WGR4Pussies
07-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I have a stand alone, dont hate on kraut, im sure there are noobs who appreciated that info, kraut is well informed aswell.

Kraut
07-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Well Kraut that was totally useless, thanks for that:rolleyes: :thumbsdow

Well I'm sure that this post of yours solved all problems and gave all the answers.
Why don't you clue me in if you actually have an Idea yourself about anything besides Smilies. rather than posting this BS.
also I maybe off topic but I do not think that it can't be totally useless if it actually applies to People who have the KKK Turbos and get into them themself.

anyways what ever rx7_turbo2
Kraut

rx7_turbo2
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Kraut

Well I'm sure that this post of yours solved all problems and gave all the answers.
Why don't you clue me in if you actually have an Idea yourself about anything besides Smilies. rather than posting this BS.
also I maybe off topic but I do not think that it can't be totally useless if it actually applies to People who have the KKK Turbos and get into them themself.

anyways what ever rx7_turbo2
Kraut

Your not on any topic :dunno:

You rambled on about nothing, mentioning KKK turbo's along the way.

If you want to add to this discussion give us some specifics, what KKK turbo? How about a comprressor map? External or internal wastegate? Pumping oil? WTF. What kind of chips. Maybe a link to some sites of guys running KKK turbo's and the results, something, anything.

rogue
07-15-2004, 10:15 PM
i was looking at a is300 over at stampede lexus and the guy said they refer all engine tuning customers to Reg for toyota and lexus and actually do a introduction as part of the buying experience for interested tuners. He must have a pretty damn good reputation for that?

DUBBED
07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by rogue
He must have a pretty damn good reputation for that?

Toyota sent him a IS300 with a SC430 motor installed and ask him to wire it because none of their techs could do it. He now owns the rights to that conversion I'm told.

nosoup4u
07-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Id say BS on that guy nosoup4u had around 750whp on his supra and ran a best of 11.1 in edmonton

That run was on low boost 22psi which should be around 550-600rwhp, i dynoed 704rwhp on 26-27 psi.

Also i know that green supra, it has a hks t04r kit, evc/vpc/680/techtom and a few little tricks last i have seen, it might have a few changes.

The fastest supra to date in the 1/4 in a 6 speed supra is ryan woon of wotm 9.5 at 153mph with a 74mm turbo at sea level.
So i dont think that green supra has gone 9.1 especially at our elevation which would make him in the mid 8's with a turbo that is out dated and 8mm smaller too.

RCTS is a good company but man do they ever spew some shit, I talked to them once at world of wheels and they tell me reg's blk car already went 10.0 on street tires 2 weeks before world of wheels.
Now that is impressive 10.0 on street tires in the middle of winter

turbojohngt
10-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

:thumbsdow Not a Good tuner IMO

Ya I know his crappy tuning skills very well,especially when nelson and I would go road racing every weekend back in the day in B.C and he would throw me the keys to his crappy 98 civic with a 500 plus @ the wheels fully built H22a that left big long equal length black patches of rubber in any gear at any speed,And then there was that crappy top speed test we did that only pulled a shit 287km an hour too,what a joke.The guys obviously an idiot when it comes to tuning.......LMAO

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

legendboy
10-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by turbojohngt

Ya I know his crappy tuning skills very well,especially when nelson and I would go road racing every weekend back in the day in B.C and he would throw me the keys to his crappy 98 civic with a 500 plus @ the wheels fully built H22a that left big long equal length black patches of rubber in any gear at any speed,And then there was that crappy top speed test we did that only pulled a shit 287km an hour too,what a joke.The guys obviously an idiot when it comes to tuning.......LMAO

:rolleyes:

Superesc
10-14-2004, 08:42 PM
I am not sure if Nelson can tune or not, but I do know he can not be trusted.

Maxt
10-15-2004, 05:10 AM
I reworked a map that was done by him, not only was the timing curve more or less backward, but the air fuels were 2 points out under power...It was also one of the knotchiest roughest fuel curves I have ever seen with no attention paid at all to the tip enrichment on the maps....
I wouldn't let him tune a 1 string guitar, let alone an ems...Max

Dirty_SOHC
10-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by turbojohngt

wow, that impressive, yet with his expert tune, I lost an engine in one month with it:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Superesc
I am not sure if Nelson can tune or not, but I do know he can not be trusted.

I agree....I made some deals with him and what he delivered was completely different story. I had to track him down for 6 months to get my money back. Then a few months later He sold the stuff to another beyond member, again with the same promises. and did he deliver?? No

I reworked a map that was done by him, not only was the timing curve more or less backward, but the air fuels were 2 points out under power...It was also one of the knotchiest roughest fuel curves I have ever seen with no attention paid at all to the tip enrichment on the maps....
I wouldn't let him tune a 1 string guitar, let alone an ems...Max

well with my maps with his tune. The timming curve was so whack that it was set to +37 to + 44 degree's advance under full boost. :rolleyes:

legendboy
10-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Its pretty obvious that turbojohngt didn't finish reading this post before he replied to Dirty_SOHC's comment.

legendboy
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Anyways, here is one of nelsons "tuned" fuel maps. This was an CR/VTEC turbo setup. The guy already blew one motor and drove all the way from bc to have rage2 fix it.

lo cam fuel

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/dyno/importimage-baselo.jpg

hi cam fuel

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/dyno/importimage-basehi.jpg

I'm not gonna give a long explination of what a 2d fuel map is suppose to look like but this is what the retuned maps look like, what its suppose to look like...

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/dyno/importimage-goodlo.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/dyno/importimage-goodhi.jpg

legendboy
10-15-2004, 10:56 AM
From what it looked like to us since nelson set this guys vtec engagement point at 2600 rpm, he didn't tune the low cam map at all, just switched vtec early and dumped a whole bunch of fuel into the high cam map. But none of us were too sure what was going on on since the air fuel was completely fucked anyways and the maps values "looked" so messed up.

Redlyne_mr2
10-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Holly shit who would let a car leave the dyno after pulls like that?

Go4Long
10-17-2004, 08:44 AM
if you are running anything HKS as far as EMS goes I would say Reg Reimer hands down(regardless of wether some of the stuff he may or may not have said might be a little off, he still has the most HKS tuning experience for sure) for other systems I dunno though...
and Reg doesn't own the rights to the IS430 swap, the one that is being paraded around the show circuit right now was done by Rod Millen's team...reg's 2JZ-GTTE IS is feckin hawt though.

rage2
11-13-2004, 08:03 PM
After seeing the mysterious and infamous NW dark green supra a bunch of times, I finally had an "encounter" with him tonight. It's definately not putting out 500whp, because if he was, he'd be able to pass my 360whp :D.

I was running low boost on 92 octane tonight. It's a fast car, but not that fast... I'd say a little faster than buh_buh's turbo lude.

Maxt
11-13-2004, 09:34 PM
You weren't street racing now were you....:D .....

I never run into anything good on the streets, just silly old gits with exotics who race to 30 km/hr...Maxt

tomsweet1990
11-13-2004, 09:41 PM
ya where is nelson...and dirty sohc, are you from kelowna by chance?? good old nelson i haven't talked to him for about a year

rage2
11-14-2004, 09:13 AM
You weren't street racing now were you....:D .....
Nah, we just happened to accelerate at the same time until the speed limit in the middle of nowhere :D.

googe
11-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2
After seeing the mysterious and infamous NW dark green supra a bunch of times, I finally had an "encounter" with him tonight. It's definately not putting out 500whp, because if he was, he'd be able to pass my 360whp :D.

I was running low boost on 92 octane tonight. It's a fast car, but not that fast... I'd say a little faster than buh_buh's turbo lude.

obligatory SAY NO TO STREET RACING. TAKE IT TO THE TRACK. GO THE SPEED LIMIT. NO ONE ON BEYOND RACES OR SPEEDS. U R A LOSER. ;)

cboyspimp
11-14-2004, 07:35 PM
is this was the guy from kelowna with that crz he is good.. that was one of the first turbo cars i went in when i was like 12 and i remember it was a rocket.. it was at my uncles shop.. i duno if its the same guy.. for a mazda cant help you there unless its rx7

REFLUX
11-20-2004, 01:00 AM
SO...the consensus is that there are NO reputable tuners???

:confused:

whatthe
11-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by REFLUX
SO...the consensus is that there are NO reputable tuners???

:confused:

I'm the best tuner... oop, sorry, just trying to keep up with the bs in this thread.

Reg-RCTS, Toma-Dynomotive, whomever are likely good options. Given the effort put in to say against Nelson, that might be a less good option. I don't know Nelsons stuff personally so I won't bs that I do. The art of finding the info you need on forums these days requires sorting through the pile of 'ummm whatever' to get what you need. Most of the actual options were presented in the first page of this thread.... somewhere.

mr2mike
12-12-2004, 04:23 AM
To make a good tuner... I would say efficiency is a factor too. Anyone could tune with knowledge on the subject and knowing fuel maps. But if someone can take your car "ballpark" the first tune then, narrow down where the peak horsepower can be achieved while maintaining an engines integrity all within a few dyno runs is in my good tuner.

Given enough time and studying on the subject, I'm confident that I can tune a car on EMS for max hp... but that's with many, many dyno run I'm sure.