PDA

View Full Version : considering purchase of 92 talon

92civic
06-03-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm looking into purchasing a 92 talon for about $1300..250k, engine is said to be in good condition, new clutch, timing belt and water pump...body is decent with some minor rust...What are common problems and in is this a car worth purchasing?...i just want something that will last a year then im planning on scrapping it or whatever...let me know what you guys think of this purchase...thanks

403Gemini
06-03-2004, 11:29 AM
is it the TSI or ESI?
(get it inspected at a reputable shop)

EK 2.0
06-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Hmmm a potenial new DSM owner...Like Gemini mentioned, is it an ESi or a TSI, if a TSi, is it AWD??...depending on trim level and options there are a lot of things to check out...not to scare you away from teh car, but it sounds like the major problems have been addressed...

When the timing belts were done do you know if the tensioners were swapped for new ones as well??...Basically its a good car, you just have to keep up on maintenance...If it's a turbo model, it may run great ot may break the bak, so yes get it inspected at a reputable and trustworthy place man...

If you have any other questions...PM or post here...

92civic
06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure as to which model it is.. I know that its a FWD non turbo...so i'm assuming its an Esi ?

I know this probably is not the greatest idea, but I plan on checking it myself..basically I just want a good running fun to drive beater that doesn't look like a beater..

so basically when i go to check it out today, i should find out if the tensioners were changed...and check some maintenance records...basically i want to know of there is something that I will be able to eye myself that is a common problem or something that will NEED to be replaced...I don't care much if a power window or the a/c needs to be refilled or anything like that..

thanks for the replies, keep them coming

oh and one more thing to mention..im from alberta but im in ontario for a while , i realize that cars from ontario tend to rust more..but i just need a cost efficient car and its ok if it has a bit of rust...its hard to get a car on the road here for 1000

92civic
06-03-2004, 11:54 AM
btw isn't 1300 for a 92 talon dirt cheap? if it runs and stops and doesn't overheat its a steal isn't it?

EK 2.0
06-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 92civic
btw isn't 1300 for a 92 talon dirt cheap? if it runs and stops and doesn't overheat its a steal isn't it?

seems like a decent enough deal and yeah it would be an ESi if it has pwr windows and such...Based on what you need and what you have told me, yeah a general once over should be sufficient...the tranny might be a lil grindy, but thats fairly normal, and make sure cv shafts are decent...and thats about it man...

Strider
06-03-2004, 12:25 PM
yah, it seems really cheap...
but then again, the Esi is boring... get a turbo!

Originally posted by CycloneAWD

and yeah it would be an ESi if it has pwr windows and such...

umm my tsi has power windows...:dunno:

92civic
06-03-2004, 12:39 PM
but then again, the Esi is boring... get a turbo!

i would but then that would cost more along with insurance being more...it may be boring but its better than a civic or some crap like that haha

so anyways i'll probably be getting this later on tonight...so i should be expecting a little bit of grind with the transmission?...alright...i can deal with that

Strider
06-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 92civic

i would but then that would cost more along with insurance being more...it may be boring but its better than a civic or some crap like that haha

so anyways i'll probably be getting this later on tonight...so i should be expecting a little bit of grind with the transmission?...alright...i can deal with that

haha yea... it should still be alright
make sure you got some cash set aside for maintenance though...

I fixed my transmission grinding for $55 worth of transmission fluid:nut:

EK 2.0
06-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Strider
umm my tsi has power windows...:dunno:

I know it does, ESi's and the TSi's come with the amenities...but DL's do not...

92civic
06-04-2004, 11:01 AM
well i didn't end up buying it...it ran really good though....what it needed was a ball joint , all 4 brake pads and a windshield...the seller wouldn't budge from the $1400 asking price...if it didnt need a $400 windshield i would have gotten it...oh well..the search continues

Strider
06-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

I know it does, ESi's and the TSi's come with the amenities...but DL's do not...

Okay... i thought you were using that as a way to distinguish whether the car in question was an esi or tsi

my bad

403Gemini
06-04-2004, 03:51 PM
if you know how to fix up cars and do almost all the work by yourself, get a talon. ive heard nasty reviews with transmission problems from almost all talon owners i know, but they are very sweet cars. even though they give those drivers problems, those drivers tend to never wanna turn in the talon for anything. shit i wanted a 92 too! you'll enjoy it, they are good cars

92civic
06-06-2004, 09:40 PM
well....i didnt know this was going to happen, but i ended up buying a 1993 mazda mx6 in good condition..white in color for $2400 with 226k kms....i don't like the look of it that much..but it was there and seemed like a good deal and a fun car to drive...