PDA

View Full Version : Dsm Next Upgrade?

TalonChrispy
06-03-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm getting a ton of work done to my 90 Talon Tsi Awd, Currently I have....

3' Turboback exhaust
K&n Filter
Boost Controller
Vac hose mod
and soon to be Big16g turbo

What else should I put on for the next step?

2.0turbo
06-03-2004, 06:09 PM
http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/recipe.htm

That is a list of upgrades that are proven to build over 400 hps with minimal costs and stock internals.

hyperwhite
06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
definatley some sorta fuel controler, and maybe a pump depending how worn out yours is.

EK 2.0
06-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Please a fuel pump and perhaps bigger injectors...and if you dont already...boost and EGT meter's...keep an eye on motor vitals man...

I mean could this be why your mill is in for repairs...

moparacer
06-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Hey do you have the Gauges in ??. I would put in EGT ,Boost and air fuel ratio gauge. After that ajustable regulator with 255 pump I got mine from FWD performance. Caution do not install hipo turbo with out gauges and new fuel stuff. Dont forget a fuel presure gauge. I installed my fabtec regulator yesterday it was set a 20 pounds of fuel.:eek: would have burn motor if I had not had a presure gauge to check.

AMOPARACER:thumbsup: :burnout:

hondatt
06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
I would install some gauges first, EGT, Boost and maybe fuel.

Upgrade your exhaust and increase your intake piping.

Get a datalogger or something to tell what your car is doing.

Get a Apexi S-AFC, then bigger injectors. Then a fuel pressure regulator to adjust your fuel pressure.

Increase your boost and learn the ways of tuning.

Then, and only then you can handle an Evo 16G with the 34mm flapper mod.

finboy
06-13-2004, 11:13 PM
like everyone said, guages, guages, and guages.

EK 2.0
06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
A 190LPH is more than adequate for 85% of DSM modders...

A fuel pressure regualtor is NOT required for a 190LPH pump on a 1G

Intake piping on Turbo DSM's...very efficient from the factory...unless swapping in a 2G MAF or a GM MAF this mod/upgrade, not needed save money and put it into fuel mods...i.e:550cc injectors for a 16G

a 2.5 inch exhaust is a "streetable" way to go for the 16G, the flapper mod, not entirely needed, trust me...But my opinion on any turboed vehicle...minimum 3 inch exhaust set up...

DO NOT just increase boost and "learn the ways of tuning"...there are a few DSMer's on this forum who have broken more parts than you will ever buy...me being one of them...PM to ask if you have any questions...I am sure if you are thinking something we have tried and failed, or tried and had great success, so learn from our mistakes and triumphs...your wallet will thank you...

hondatt
06-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
a 2.5 inch exhaust is a "streetable" way to go for the 16G, the flapper mod, not entirely needed, trust me...But my opinion on any turboed vehicle...minimum 3 inch exhaust set up...

Having a 3 inch exhaust system might lead to boost creep withou having the 34mm flapper mod.

DO NOT just increase boost and "learn the ways of tuning"...there are a few DSMer's on this forum who have broken more parts than you will ever buy...me being one of them...PM to ask if you have any questions...I am sure if you are thinking something we have tried and failed, or tried and had great success, so learn from our mistakes and triumphs...your wallet will thank you...

Most DSMer's have MBC and increase their boosts to its limitations. If you learn how much and what your limitations are, you can safely increase your boost pressure.

I guess from Cyclones experiences, he boosted way too much before knowing what his car's limitations were.

EK 2.0
06-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by hondatt

*snip*...Having a 3 inch exhaust system might lead to boost creep withou having the 34mm flapper mod...*snip*

My set-up ran GREAT with a 3 inch and stock 16G flapper...no boost creep at all...

and I knew what my limits were...its was just variables beyond my control, but I set parameters far too close to the edge wihtout having a safety cushion and thats what ended up hurting me...

hondatt
06-13-2004, 11:53 PM
My set-up ran GREAT with a 3 inch and stock 16G flapper...no boost creep at all...

How much boost did you run at?

and I knew what my limits were...its was just variables beyond my control, but I set parameters far too close to the edge wihtout having a safety cushion and thats what ended up hurting me...

What were your limits? what were yoiur variables? What did you set your parameters? Whats the edge?

Redlyne_mr2
06-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Boost creep is nothing to worry about as long as you expect for it to occur and make your adjustments accordingly. It's once stuffs starts to surprise you that shit hits the fan

heavyD
06-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Boost creep is nothing to worry about as long as you expect for it to occur and make your adjustments accordingly. It's once stuffs starts to surprise you that shit hits the fan

It was a pain in the ass for me until I added a ported EVO III O2 sensor housing to compliment my downpipe and cat-back. It's kinda ghetto to accept that you will creep "X" amount of psi and tune around it. When you have boost creep you don't have proper boost control. End of story.

Like Cyclone said, you can know your limitations and still have problems that are out of your control. I was running 16 psi with the stock 450 cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump with is adequate for an FPT28 turbo and my engine failed. Everyone said "I told you so" but you know what. The pistons, valves, and head were in perfect condition. It just spun a rod bearing which can be due to alot of things, like contaminated oil, poor assembly, bad bearing, etc. No amount of fuel mods, etc. would have corrected the problem. When you own a DSM you learn the true meaning of "SHIT HAPPENS".;)

EK 2.0
06-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

It was a pain in the ass for me until I added a ported EVO III O2 sensor housing to compliment my downpipe and cat-back. It's kinda ghetto to accept that you will creep "X" amount of psi and tune around it. When you have boost creep you don't have proper boost control. End of story.

Like Cyclone said, you can know your limitations and still have problems that are out of your control. I was running 16 psi with the stock 450 cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump with is adequate for an FPT28 turbo and my engine failed. Everyone said "I told you so" but you know what. The pistons, valves, and head were in perfect condition. It just spun a rod bearing which can be due to alot of things, like contaminated oil, poor assembly, bad bearing, etc. No amount of fuel mods, etc. would have corrected the problem. When you own a DSM you learn the true meaning of "SHIT HAPPENS".;)

EXACTLY...I was running a 16G 510CC Injectors, 3 inch exhaust, ported O2 housing and only 12 psi of boost...but I had an injector let go, which when came back online (thanks to my datalogger I knew this) it cause detonation and buggered up cylinder number one...it blew the ring lands off of that piston...

There are always things that are beyond your control, just be ready for them...and dont go too crazy...I mean 18psi on a stock DSM BAD news...but, with fuel mods and exhaust mods...you SHOULD be ok...

Forcefed
06-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Bahh...here you go Tuning/ Upgrade Guide (http://dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/1gturbo/)