PDA

View Full Version : Ingrowing toenail..

fast95pony
06-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Good grief they hurt !!!! :banghead: .My big toe started hurting a few days ago.Then it REALLY hurt tuesday night,then all this crap oozed out (it was infected ) , and I went to the clinic yesterday.I thought they would cut it off,but they just gave me some penecillin to take.
At least it doesn't hurt anymore.looks crappy though...:barf:

Kamen
06-03-2004, 08:12 PM
I've experienced that like back when I was 15 or 16? I don't remember.
Yea, it sucks. I had to get some surgery done on it in my doctor's office. He gave me 2 shots to the toe to numb it (FUCK it hurt) and then hacked away...turns out it had gotten really deep...
damn things :guns:

Focus
06-03-2004, 11:13 PM
sounds dumb but works very well....just cut a v in the top of the toenail and it will cause it to grow in a different. I used to get nasty ingrown nails and this is what i do. :thumbsup:

403Gemini
06-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Focus
sounds dumb but works very well....just cut a v in the top of the toenail and it will cause it to grow in a different. I used to get nasty ingrown nails and this is what i do. :thumbsup:

you good sir are a master of ms paint! far superior than my skills!

Focus
06-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

you good sir are a master of ms paint! far superior than my skills!

Why thank you! :rofl: :rofl:

finboy
06-04-2004, 12:39 AM

really, i get them all the time because of the way my toe is, i'll have to try that, they are painfull as fuck.

fast95pony
06-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info.I'll try that..:thumbsup:

T5_X
06-04-2004, 09:38 AM
I used to get really bad ones all the time. Like the font of my socks would be encrusted in blood and pus. If you get them really bad, go to a podiatrist (or the right family doctor) and get the roots permanently removed. They will locally anaesthetize the toe, cut the sides of the nail off, file down the root on the sides then permanently remove that portion of the root by chemically burning it with silver nitrate or similar compound.

B17a
06-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by T5_X
I used to get really bad ones all the time. Like the font of my socks would be encrusted in blood and pus. If you get them really bad, go to a podiatrist (or the right family doctor) and get the roots permanently removed. They will locally anaesthetize the toe, cut the sides of the nail off, file down the root on the sides then permanently remove that portion of the root by chemically burning it with silver nitrate or similar compound.

I used to get bad ones like that too.....gross bloody pussy socks. But I'd just bite down on a leather belt and dig and cut that sonofabitch out! :eek:

E36M3
06-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I just got a nasty one.. I've been traveling a lot and haven't had time to make an appointment, so I got some antiseptic and a bunch of tools and did the surgery myself (I wouldn't recommend it). I sawed off the nail then filed down the nail bed so that it wouldn't grow back. I ended up having to get antibiotics to deal with the infection, but it seems to have worked out ok.

Motto of story is to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Focus
06-04-2004, 10:50 AM
damn....I have never had it that bad...:eek:

mine were only minor, but they did hurt like hell!! I can only imagine what you guys went through......

Good luck!:thumbsup:

jennyanniemary
06-04-2004, 11:05 AM
.:barf: ewwww....what does a ingrown look like? which part actually grows into where? draw another pic for me

Kamen
06-04-2004, 11:51 AM
How about you go Google it up instead.

Is it safe to do self surgery on it? So far I've read quite a few things from people performing the procedure themselves...is it not safer/more practical for your doctor to do it?

Ben
06-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I just got a nasty one.. I've been traveling a lot and haven't had time to make an appointment, so I got some antiseptic and a bunch of tools and did the surgery myself (I wouldn't recommend it). I sawed off the nail then filed down the nail bed so that it wouldn't grow back. I ended up having to get antibiotics to deal with the infection, but it seems to have worked out ok.

Motto of story is to deal with it sooner rather than later.
*highfive*
Holy hell that was a rough time, sure am glad to see I'm not the only one!

hahaha, I did the same surgery when I was 17. I had one that was so bad, I could hardly walk, I was in highschool at the time so I always had people stepping on my feet and shit during class change, man do they bleed, the pain was excruciating! At one point the nail sliver ended up protruding from the front of my toe through the skin, for about 2 weeks prior I had a big yellow blister on the end, and it pained like being burned at the slightest contact. God damnit that hurt, then all that yellowy sticky goo was all over and I had blood sock syndrome. When that hppened I was immune to the pain, I got some medical equipment from my Mom (works at the hospital) and I locked myself in the bathroom with a counter mounted magnifying glass and some flesh sheers, topical novacain and tweezers. Douced with hydrogen peroxide and went to work. 10 minutes later I was done, hasn't been back since, and my toes look great, hahahahaha.

B17a
06-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Ben, sounds like what I did. The key is to soak your foot in water for a few minutes before, it helps to soften up the nail which makes extraction a lot easier.....although the pain level is still hovering near bitchin!

Khyron
06-04-2004, 03:11 PM
I did home cutting with one, blood everywhere. Felt better for awhile, but I still had to have surgery to fix it for good. I've had both toes done.

Khyron

pinoyhero
06-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Had that once when I cut the nail too short. Just kept letting it grow back and ensure to push the skin underneath, kinda hurt and a little disgusting but nothing major.

jennyanniemary
06-04-2004, 03:53 PM
why cant some one just tell me?

Originally posted by Kamen
How about you go Google it up instead.

Is it safe to do self surgery on it? So far I've read quite a few things from people performing the procedure themselves...is it not safer/more practical for your doctor to do it?

Kamen
06-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Because there are many graphic pictures and desciptions on Google for you to look at. :dunno:

RAGINGHULK
06-07-2004, 09:30 PM
I've got an ingrown toenail one on each big toe of my feet. I did have serious pain for a while but I've slowly hacked away at them to relieve the pain, I'm going to get them surgeically removed (cut out) in the next short while.

RAGINGHULK

eb0i
06-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
Because there are many graphic pictures and desciptions on Google for you to look at. :dunno:

damn i typed it in google and hit the image search...

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Ben
06-09-2004, 07:25 PM
hahaha, yeah, on Google I'm sure you'll get examples of the worst case scenario.

JAYMEZ
06-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Ive had those all my life for some reason , get them a couple times a year , fuckin hurts , gets all bruised and shiat.... some causes are bad shoes.

Also i get stepped on alot , with all the sports and activities i do.

dogmaiwli
06-09-2004, 08:36 PM

My dad and I do that, cut's through socks like nothing, but no painfull ingrown toe nail

Khyron
06-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Ben
hahaha, yeah, on Google I'm sure you'll get examples of the worst case scenario.

Hrm actually the first bunch are about what I had - not like the toe is going to fall off but still gross. I suffered with it for 2 years, wore shoes 2 sizes bigger and almost fainted if someone stepped on my foot.

http://www.footdr.com/images/drs_ingrown.jpg - that's about right.

If you have one and have had it for more than a few months just suck it up and get it fixed - you'll not believe how good it feels.

Khyron

Cixz
06-09-2004, 11:40 PM
lol u guys are hallarious i hope i never get an ingrown toe nail and if i do ill be comin to u guys for it and by the sounds of it, it sounds like it hurts like a son of a biatch so good luck with it guys:hitit: :hitit: :hitit:

AzN_4_LiFe
06-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Good grief they hurt !!!! :banghead: .My big toe started hurting a few days ago.Then it REALLY hurt tuesday night,then all this crap oozed out (it was infected ) , and I went to the clinic yesterday.I thought they would cut it off,but they just gave me some penecillin to take.
At least it doesn't hurt anymore.looks crappy though...:barf:
two words:
pocket knife!
u need it cut that nasty shit out
its hurts at the time, but its easy and kinda fun
i got them alot, when i lived on a ship for 6 months

Skyline_Addict
06-10-2004, 08:41 PM
and i always thought an ingrown toenail was the result of some lazy lard not cutting his toe nails.
go figure, ignorant me.

hockeybronx
06-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Man I got some sick images off of Yahoo. It doesn't bother me that bad but it's still pretty gross.

I've had minor pains and pussing in the past. This is the key to preventing them (so I've heard):

- cutting your toenails with nailclippers (no other methods)
- cutting the nail straight across so the top of the nail is level ( i.e -------- as opposed to an arch)
- If pain starts to occur, cut out a v shape in the middle of the nail to relive the pressure on the side skin.

I think the natural thing to do is cut a rounded arch on your nails, but the proper way is so that the nail is always above the skin on the sides of the nail.

rice_eater
06-20-2004, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by AzN_4_LiFe
i got them alot, when i lived on a ship for 6 months
was that on the way here??

AzN_4_LiFe
06-20-2004, 02:25 PM
gotta love the racial comments.

im acaully white, im using my buddies account

method
06-20-2004, 06:16 PM
cutting a V doesnt do anything. the nail doesnt grow like that... if it did your nail would be growing inwards and fold over on itself.

its a placebo.

JAYMEZ
06-20-2004, 06:29 PM
So what the hell you gota do to get rid of them? i get them on both big toes , hurts like a mother fucker when ppl hit it.

hockeybronx
06-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
So what the hell you gota do to get rid of them? i get them on both big toes , hurts like a mother fucker when ppl hit it.

You can try and dig it out like some of the crazy mofo's on here have, but more that likely if it's bad enough you'll have to get an operation.

The ones I've had haven't been that severe, I just cut the V thing and soaked them in a really hot bath and they went away.

danno567
06-20-2004, 08:21 PM
dude go get it cut off. it hurts like mad ( the needles ) i mean like nothing else. But you will feel better the day after, I swear.

No kidding, get it hacked off at emergency, or your doc. I went to emergency cause it was killing me so much. Once its done its done. The needles into the toe is a pain like none else. Have a few drinks then go in. :thumbsup:

Ben
06-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Please DONT go to the ER ward of the hospital for an In grown toenail. Make an appointment at a clinic and save the ER for real emergencys.

NoseslideSam
06-21-2004, 12:09 PM
haha the reason all of you are getting them is because your not cutting your toenails right...Ihad the same problem and my mom fixed it up for me since she's a nurse. Your supposed to cut your nails straight across and for some reason that day when I was cuttin my nails I did it to either side at a curve and then started to have an ingrown toenail after a while. It was my left big toe and it hurt like hell!!! You can do home surgery on it, thats what I did and it felt so much better after that. This is one of my few replies...kinda weird. I dk if someone else explained this b/c I'm kinda in a hurry. later