PDA

View Full Version : Perfromance modification suggestions for Audi 5000s

What?
06-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Its a 1987 Audi 5000s, its a Inline 5 and kicks out about 110hp and 120 ft pounds of toque, it's auto(which sucks), but I was wondering what i could do to make more power without spending alot, sort of like "free mods"

btw: the engine is a WC (for the Audi guys)

hjr
06-05-2004, 10:30 AM
not really. the terms "more power" could mean like maybe 5 more i guess, so ya, an exhaust system will give you more power and not cost too much.

What?
06-05-2004, 02:52 PM
see that the thing that really sucks, finding an exhaust system for a old Audi is hard to come by, and it will probably cost lots, or I can get one custom made but thats even more.

hockeybronx
06-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Throw a cold air intake system on it

What?
06-05-2004, 03:36 PM
yea im planning on doing that and probably changing the spark plugs and wires.

hockeybronx
06-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Other cheap mods you might want to look into for your car include:

-short shifter kits
-headers
-exhaust (I know it's hard to find an exhaust but keep trying)

GTS Jeff
06-05-2004, 05:04 PM
dont listen to honkeybronx cuz hes just posting for the sake of trying to prove to beyond that hes not a crazed lunatic christian wannabe.

anyway, u COULD spend like 200 on an intake, 500 on an exhaust, and another 500 on a header...plus a hundred here and there to bring the car back up to "newish" condition, but by the time ure done, u will have spent like 1500 to gain a couple horses and a lot of noise. by the time u are spending that much, u could throw in an extra few hundred and look at serious mods. but by the time u know enough about cars to consider those mods, u might want a new car altogether ;)

anyway, to answer your question...id say lose some weight by gutting your interior, throw away the spare, get a lightweight battery, and remove stuff like power steering, a/c, fan-clutch, etc etc. if this is a track only car, u can run without bumpers too for some serious weight reductions.

What?
06-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Actually i wouldn't mind gutting the interior and other heavy accessories after all I want it to have a rally inspired feel to it, but i also want to use it as a daily driver, but when i take it off road it could still kick ass. The only thing I hate doing is spending alot of money on a old car like that and then having to repair it, and it ends up costing me more than I paid for the car. So thats whay im looing for cheap or free mods.

GTS Jeff
06-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by What?
Actually i wouldn't mind gutting the interior and other heavy accessories after all I want it to have a rally inspired feel to it, but i also want to use it as a daily driver, but when i take it off road it could still kick ass. The only thing I hate doing is spending alot of money on a old car like that and then having to repair it, and it ends up costing me more than I paid for the car. So thats whay im looing for cheap or free mods. pulling stuff out = free :thumbsup:

tho trust me, u might think u can afford to gut your interior now...but u might change your mind after awhile. ive driven with my interior out, no ps, etc which was kinda cool, but its not fun when u just want to drive to work in the morning half awake. it also sucks when u have passengers haha

rice_eater
06-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
pulling stuff out = free :thumbsup:

tho trust me, u might think u can afford to gut your interior now...but u might change your mind after awhile.

haha so true...i have to have my stereo at least half way up to overpower the road/exhaust noises...hell i can hear water splashing on the undercarriage when it's wet out. did it make my car faster though? Hell yeah!