PDA

View Full Version : Raves - Thing of the past?

SpeedStar
06-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Hey all,

I was just having a flashback and was thinking about raves. Like the big ones that used to be at the Firepark Bingo Hall on Barlow just off of MacCloud, or at MaxBell. It doesn't seem to be such a long time ago but its comming up on 4 or 5 years since they were really the big thing. I remember thats pretty much all I did for a few summers. Good times....:nut: :burnout: :zzz:

Anyone know if these things still go on? I know the music is definitely still around(Trance is the best). But does anyone still organize those big events any more? Or is it one of those things that have a small following and are only found on Sunday nights in an obscure downtown club/bar?

PLUR! :rolleyes: man I spent too much time on calgaryravehard.com back then.

PGTze
06-06-2004, 05:10 AM
I hope not...

I'm not a harcore raver or anything, but I enjoy the occasional rave or two, I hope this one isn't the suck!

eb0i
06-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Raves still happen man. There are just fewer big ones nowadays because of bylaws and lack of venues.

I remember the days of ravehard (the good old days)

you can still check out events at calgary sites like

www.electrocalgary.com

JAYMEZ
06-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Ya i remember full Max Bell raves , or crazy raves at Firepark. But now they like hold them at little community centres lol.

DJ Lazy
06-06-2004, 06:04 PM
The next big "rave" will be Canada Day at the Max Bell... but the problem with these "raves" nowadays is that they don't even feel like raves, because they don't serve alcohal, there are 14-16 y/o kiddies walking around, and the WORST part..... Uniformed Cops walking around.... :thumbsdow Like WTF!?!?!

I prefer the intimate club events more than the Massive's (events)

buh_buh
06-06-2004, 06:29 PM
they DON'T serve alcohol? I never remembered any alcohol being served at raves back at Rollerland, random warehouses in the industrial area, or the Science Center.

gkAeris
06-06-2004, 06:37 PM
yes it's the Canada Rave (june 26th ) at the Max BELL!!! :clap: :clap:

i'm helping promoting and selling tickets i only have th VIP tickets if anyone needs any pm me

SpeedStar
06-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Ha! Cool to see these things still go on. I might check one out just for old times sake.

Yeah I don't remember too many raves with alcohol. Except for 1 or 2 when it was at the FirePark but that was when they were in the smaller part of the building. It was pretty dark but I think it was some kind of arena back then.

That was the one when one of my friends who is a Sihk snuck in "mood enhancers" past security by hiding them in his turbin..

Haha

lam-boy
06-06-2004, 07:15 PM
haha i remember one night i walked home from max bell..:nut: :nut:

and when i got home i couldn't sleep, my ears were ringing and i played starcraft broodwars all day and went to sleep later that night.

JAYMEZ
06-06-2004, 11:24 PM
LOL Lam , i remember playin SC after a rave .... good ol days of bnet hehe

lam-boy
06-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
LOL Lam , i remember playin SC after a rave .... good ol days of bnet hehe

haha nothing beats playing use map settings when your all up there haha. don't knwo what your doing and shit haha.

little_wan
06-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Canada day is always a fun rave to go to.
Mystical 2 during stampede will be awesome though.

max_boost
06-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Raves are bad, drugs are bad:rofl: You are right, it's approaching 4 years since my last rave and the last time my body was infested with stuff that makes you feel weird haha:nut:

SI-vic
06-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Raves arent so big in Calgary anymore.
In Europe they're still strong as hell but.... in Calgary the club events are a lot more popular now.

Id say Canada Day is usually the biggest rave all year in Calgary.

sputnik
06-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
and the WORST part..... Uniformed Cops walking around.... :thumbsdow Like WTF!?!?!

Whats wrong with having cops at the event? If I had a 14 y/o going to a "rave" it would be nice to have some more formal security there (not just a couple of the promoters big friends).

eb0i
06-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Whats wrong with having cops at the event? If I had a 14 y/o going to a "rave" it would be nice to have some more formal security there (not just a couple of the promoters big friends).

:werd:

they are their for your safety and the safety of others. W/O them you will not have any "big" parties anyways.

method
06-09-2004, 05:23 PM
oh no cops! now the etards cant do their kiddy designer drugs!

shoot!

:rolleyes:

DJ Lazy
06-09-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by eb0i

:werd:

they are their for your safety and the safety of others. W/O them you will not have any "big" parties anyways.

The idea of a rave is to be underground... and against the law.. the presence of police just makes it feel not right...

Originally posted by method
oh no cops! now the etards cant do their kiddy designer drugs!

shoot!

:rolleyes:

First off.. I am not an etard (whether is was directed at me or not), so the cops being a presence cuz of the pill poppers whining is not my arguement... Cops just don't make the event feel right... They have a history of being underground and not patrolled by police officers...

Thats what I am trying to point out...

eb0i
06-09-2004, 08:59 PM

The idea of a rave is to be underground... and against the law.. the presence of police just makes it feel not right...

if raves were so underground then people on a car message board wouldn't even know about them.

and if you want to go to a rave that's more underground you shouldn't be picking big parties aka massives like Canada Day/Connected/Bump n' Hustle to go to.

Anything over 200 people and involves electronica + under age kids has to follow the bylaw. Try going to ones under 200 people where they don't have to follow the bylaw rules and you won't have your police to bother you.

The idea of an underground "rave" party is pretty much pre 99, get over it.

sputnik
06-10-2004, 07:03 AM

Then why dont you organize one. Make is SO "underground" that only you know about it.

Usually when people turn 18 they arent that interested in breaking the law to do something that they can do in a sanctioned environment (like a bar or a big house party). Who would ever waste their time going to an event that will get busted and broken up at 11. Also most people eventually grow up and stop playing childish games like being "h@Rdc0r3 r@v3 THUG5!", however there are always a few that refuse to grow up.

Toma
06-10-2004, 08:21 AM

Then why dont you organize one. Make is SO "underground" that only you know about it.

Usually when people turn 18 they arent that interested in breaking the law to do something that they can do in a sanctioned environment (like a bar or a big house party). Who would ever waste their time going to an event that will get busted and broken up at 11. Also most people eventually grow up and stop playing childish games like being "h@Rdc0r3 r@v3 THUG5!", however there are always a few that refuse to grow up.
Spoken like a true wanna be cop.

No, when people turn 18, they are busy looking for afterhours parties and clubs :rolleyes:

Bottom line is people don't like bullshit unreasonable controls on their lives, so they will always push the envelope.

And we never let cops into our clubs period. No one wants them there.

DJ Lazy
06-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Mr. Positivity strikes again!! :eek:
What it like up on your high horse?? pretty lonely I bet...

theres a childish game called "h@Rdc0r3 r@v3 THUG5" ?? Shit.. I musta missed that kewl one... wanna tell me more about it? you seem like an expert...

Look douche-bag... I am just expressing why I don't enjoy the "raves" (canada day is considered one, even tho it shouldn't be) that are hosted around the city...

PS: maybe I WILL have my own fucking underground rave... that only I know about... :rolleyes:

There are some that refuse to grow up... maybe you should go back and join them... :drama:

DJ Lazy
06-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Bottom line is people don't like bullshit unreasonable controls on their lives, so they will always push the envelope.

Human nature at its prime. :)

sputnik
06-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Toma

Spoken like a true wanna be cop.

No, when people turn 18, they are busy looking for afterhours parties and clubs :rolleyes:

And we never let cops into our clubs period. No one wants them there.

Wanna be cop? HAHAHAHAHA. Thank you drive thru.

I would like to see you stop a cop from entering you clubs. :rofl:

Toms-Celica
06-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Urg, Canada Day's headliner....urg :thumbsdow Oh well, next up Paul Oakenfold!

eb0i
06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
what it's not the same headliner as the past 2 years?

DJ Lazy
06-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
what it's not the same headliner as the past 2 years?

nope....

headliners:
Guyver
Gary D
Dj Dean
Suzy Solar