PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Choose my next car :)

Daemos
06-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi, this is my first post, I would normally post on specific car forums...but it doesn't work when I'm trying to decide on what car to get since it always ends up the one that wins is the forum I'm on...anyways on with ths post...

Goal for Spring 2005 (or whenever the snow goes away in 2005) (but if I can get it before it's just as good)

Trying to upgrade from 2003 Spec V with sports package (selling this) to a (used) scar between 25-30K (up to) (in CANADIAN FUNDS) for an all year project car if boosted with diffrent boost for winter (IE -50C weather conditons) and summer, it'll be used as a Street, autox, track, and drag car...basically a street car I can have fun with :)

Trying to meet most of these critiera...
With better reliability (a must)
better interior/exterior (luxury/looks wise) (perferred)
So trying to go up a step in luxury
similar performance (this is a given)
better aftermarket (a must)
Similar or better fuel economy (if this is possible I'd be VERY happy)
would like to try to get away from FWD...but with this price range it might not be possible...
if RWD...should be boosted (with a smaller I4 engine) to avoid too much trouble in winter...
MUST be manual
Boost is nice :D
Trying to avoid anymore ecnoboxes
Oh MUST be available in a used car...I found out how badly new cars depreciated after I bought my spec v, lol...but atleast I own all of it :)

Cars that Made the Cut: "()" Personal Comments

RSX-S: (Looks good inside/out, awsome build quality, awsome aftermarket, good fuel economy, but it's FWD, and it's really really common :( but out of the cars that made it, has the best interior out of the cars I've chosen IMO, an engine that'll never break if I don't boost :) )

WRX: (AWD, Turbocharged, really good aftermarket, but crappy interior (that's something I REALLY REALLY dislike [it's worse than my spec v's], worse than Nissan quality paint and not so good fuel economy)

S13/S14: (RWD, 50/50 balance mmmmmm, tons of potential in both cars, they're built better than my Spec...Interior is meh, better than WRX...but it's still meh, S13s could be a little too old to be in really good condition, S14 is REALLY hard to find in a MT, but with the money saved I could make these into quite the street terrors, with rebuilt engines, and good reliablity since I'd beable to put the money into it)

IS300: (Most expensive out of the 4, the least aftermarket, the 2nd best interior IMO, most luxury, but also the heaviest. In terms of modding, there isn't alot engine wise to gain speed cept for boost, but I don't like the idea of boosting a normally N/A engine (even if it IS from the supra) w/o rebuilding it to personal specifications, which costs $$$$$$$, and could scacrifice alot of reliablity) (Heaviest out of all the cars, but it's RWD, which makes it fun :) )

Choices That didn't make it:

Keep spec v + turbo it :/ and say bye bye to traction, possibly blown engine, made in mexico quality.
Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 T MT (Almost impossible to find in MT, without being extremely expensive)
used TSX MT (aftermarket still hasn't picked up)
Dodge Stealth AWD TT (iffy on the reliability)
Z32 300ZX TT (this one might be REAL iffy haha)
ST185 Toyota Celica Alltrac (heard reliablity is not the greatest on these things...and the amount of mainance required is high too)
Used Mini Cooper S MT (yea right...people don't sell these things used)
Possible Trade for a 2005 Legacy GT? (Boosted, AWD and sexy looking :D)(I think this one is REALLY pushing it out of my price range haha)
R32 GTR/GTS-T (Maintance...reliability to be modified as a daily driver is questionable with my income...it'll probally cost me more than I want to pay to keep it running :(, Finding people to acctually WORK on the car is hard too.)

If you guys have any other suggestions or why something shouldn't be in the "didn't make it list" let me know I'm open to suggestions :)

403Gemini
06-06-2004, 10:55 AM
id get a 300zx or a stealth if you didnt mind older cars but outta the ones you selected id probably go subaru. like you said far to many rsx-s around. shame, cause they are beautiful cars, and should never be made automatic and touch the hands of middle age women ;)

Daemos
06-06-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't mind the stealth, but I don't have endless funds to maintain it either, it's NOT a relabile daily driver, which is unfortunate.

the 300ZX is a nice car...but for the size + power it's too heavy and costs too make it go fast.

Lennon
06-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder which one I'm thinkin about.....

300ZX TT man, definatly.

Orbie
06-06-2004, 01:35 PM
lol, it was funny reading about all your gripes with the Spec V, always fun to hear about Nissan shortcomings :thumbsup:

Anyways, out of the cars you've listed, I'd still have to go with my one and only favorite Nissan car the 300ZX TT. Sure it's heavy, and may be a bitch to maintain, but there is nothing slow about the TT, and you'll hardly need to spend anything to make it go fast. What are you looking for, a 4sec car stock?! Good luck, the TT is plenty fast!

If your looking to AutoX, you'll probably be spending the majority of your money on suspension items and tires.

illeagle
06-06-2004, 01:41 PM
White 300ZX TT gets my vote:thumbsup:

Or out of the other list, S13/S14

abc1
06-06-2004, 01:52 PM
why not a evo too if you are thinking about a wrx?

illeagle
06-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by abc1
why not a evo too if you are thinking about a wrx? You guys in Manitoba get Evo's? And cheap insurance? How's the gas prices there?

DeathBy240
06-06-2004, 02:59 PM
He cant get an Evo. Insurance is cheap as it is public insurance. I hated dealing with Autopac though. The Z32 300 TT would be a good choice, but they are the most expensive Nissan to maintain.

I would go with the WRX. Those Manitoba winters are nasty and I wouldnt want to be driving any of the other RWD cars you mentioned in all that snow.

hatetank
06-06-2004, 03:02 PM
All nice choices, but all completely different cars.

And the WRX's interior is marginal but no where near as "cheap" feeling as the Spec-V's ;)

Daemos
06-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hatetank
All nice choices, but all completely different cars.

And the WRX's interior is marginal but no where near as "cheap" feeling as the Spec-V's ;)

it's not as cheap feeling, but I've had a number of WRX owners who perfer my spec v interior over the WRX, I feel the same way. Acctually I feel the spec v interior is pretty well made for a car made in mexico, although it's REALLY easy to disassemble and reassemble the entire dash :)

Although my buddy has made his WRX VERY VERY fast with little $$$.

It's the interior that's ultimatly stopping me so far...and the poor gas milage :( and if I mod it I need to go to 94 octane :(

Maybe an interior dash kit, with a LCD might help the WRX interior, and the black pieces redyed to a real real black.

Daemos
06-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by abc1
why not a evo too if you are thinking about a wrx?

Although we CAN get Evos in Winnipeg, the interior is worse than a WRX, and it's like $20K morethan I'd like to spend

That.Guy.S30
06-06-2004, 03:44 PM
^^ and to top that off they are USED.. hahaha

Daemos
06-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
lol, it was funny reading about all your gripes with the Spec V, always fun to hear about Nissan shortcomings :thumbsup:

Anyways, out of the cars you've listed, I'd still have to go with my one and only favorite Nissan car the 300ZX TT. Sure it's heavy, and may be a bitch to maintain, but there is nothing slow about the TT, and you'll hardly need to spend anything to make it go fast. What are you looking for, a 4sec car stock?! Good luck, the TT is plenty fast!

If your looking to AutoX, you'll probably be spending the majority of your money on suspension items and tires.

4 sec car stock? no...

I would like something that can reach high 12s if boosted or low 13s if NA (WRX can, and so can the RSX-S)

It also must have an able chassis that can handle well under modifications, and a nice interior and decent exterior, something that's decent in winter. Something that'll retain reliablity when modified...good build quality...etc...

Daemos
06-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^^ and to top that off they are USED.. hahaha

I don't understand...?

That.Guy.S30
06-06-2004, 03:50 PM
the EVO's.. they are used from the states from what i understand.

Daemos
06-06-2004, 03:53 PM
the EVO's.. they are used from the states from what i understand.

Nope they come new from the states...

That.Guy.S30
06-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Daemos

Nope they come new from the states...

hmm.. strange. we had this discussion on Nasioc.com and they said all the evo's come used from the states (like 30km or somehtin)

Daemos
06-06-2004, 04:22 PM

hmm.. strange. we had this discussion on Nasioc.com and they said all the evo's come used from the states (like 30km or somehtin)

30Km is uh nothing, they're supposed to drive it as part of the dealer. If it had 0km I'd be worried.

JAYMEZ
06-07-2004, 01:02 PM
If you dont like the WRX how bout the STi? You did mention the IS300 which are pretty exspensive , seriously go to subaru and test drive an STi, i gaurantee you will like it.

BigMass
06-07-2004, 01:49 PM
If you have that kind of money maybe put some down on a new MS Miata. It's about 5k over your budget but it's going to be a new car, give you good reliability with warrantee and it comes great the way it is stock. I like the interior as well. Good daily driver and will be a great performer on the track.

rc2002
06-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Yo Daemos, Check PM.

Daemos
06-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Acctually I found a way to make me like the WRX interior, I found out what was bugging me after all this time.

The cheapo silver pieces, they look so cheap. I found a picture on the WRX forums of someone that just painted them black, added an LCD in the middle and I was like "wow" it looks pretty decent now :)

Can't afford an STi, or a MS miata. I won't be finaning...I really don't have any type of credit whatsoever (I'm only 20) although I've been using my visa for 2 years now, and paying it everymonth. But I don't think that's enough to establish a good credit, and it would be pretty hard to finance something if the monthly payments are gonna be more than my visa's limit is (I have my visa's limit purposely set VERY low so I always save money)

But I think I can manage 30K (including the trade of my car, I got it valued at about 18K-20K as a trade from local dealerships)

I just gotta wait for the right used car to show up lol....

QuasarCav
06-07-2004, 03:25 PM
using your visa responsibly for 2 years should be enough.

I am 21 and have had two cards for 1 and 2 years.
They will finance me.

Go WRX.....

Daemos
06-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
using your visa responsibly for 2 years should be enough.

I am 21 and have had two cards for 1 and 2 years.
They will finance me.

Go WRX.....

Lol how bout my almost non-existant credit limit haha :)

I swear it's JUST enough for gas...and food.

I won't do WRX STi, since I don't think it's worth it, I can make a WRX more fun to drive for less money :)

but I want used...since there's only 1 subaru dealership in winnipeg...and they like to uh over-inflate the MSRP by $4000

QuasarCav
06-07-2004, 03:48 PM
would it be worth it to buy one here and drive it home?

I've seen a few for sale here in town.

Jack up your limit and be responsible, the only way you will get ahead is by borrowing and paying back over time.

They want to see that you can make a stable payment over time.

Buy and payoff:thumbsdow
Buy and pay over time:thumbsup:

ugotahondaeh?
06-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Daemos
Hi, this is my first post, I would normally post on specific car forums...but it doesn't work when I'm trying to decide on what car to get since it always ends up the one that wins is the forum I'm on...anyways on with ths post...

Goal for Spring 2005 (or whenever the snow goes away in 2005) (but if I can get it before it's just as good)

Trying to upgrade from 2003 Spec V with sports package (selling this) to a (used) scar between 25-30K (up to) (in CANADIAN FUNDS) for an all year project car if boosted with diffrent boost for winter (IE -50C weather conditons) and summer, it'll be used as a Street, autox, track, and drag car...basically a street car I can have fun with :)

Trying to meet most of these critiera...
With better reliability (a must)
better interior/exterior (luxury/looks wise) (perferred)
So trying to go up a step in luxury
similar performance (this is a given)
better aftermarket (a must)
Similar or better fuel economy (if this is possible I'd be VERY happy)
would like to try to get away from FWD...but with this price range it might not be possible...
if RWD...should be boosted (with a smaller I4 engine) to avoid too much trouble in winter...
MUST be manual
Boost is nice :D
Trying to avoid anymore ecnoboxes
Oh MUST be available in a used car...I found out how badly new cars depreciated after I bought my spec v, lol...but atleast I own all of it :)

Cars that Made the Cut: "()" Personal Comments

RSX-S: (Looks good inside/out, awsome build quality, awsome aftermarket, good fuel economy, but it's FWD, and it's really really common :( but out of the cars that made it, has the best interior out of the cars I've chosen IMO, an engine that'll never break if I don't boost :) )

WRX: (AWD, Turbocharged, really good aftermarket, but crappy interior (that's something I REALLY REALLY dislike [it's worse than my spec v's], worse than Nissan quality paint and not so good fuel economy)

S13/S14: (RWD, 50/50 balance mmmmmm, tons of potential in both cars, they're built better than my Spec...Interior is meh, better than WRX...but it's still meh, S13s could be a little too old to be in really good condition, S14 is REALLY hard to find in a MT, but with the money saved I could make these into quite the street terrors, with rebuilt engines, and good reliablity since I'd beable to put the money into it)

IS300: (Most expensive out of the 4, the least aftermarket, the 2nd best interior IMO, most luxury, but also the heaviest. In terms of modding, there isn't alot engine wise to gain speed cept for boost, but I don't like the idea of boosting a normally N/A engine (even if it IS from the supra) w/o rebuilding it to personal specifications, which costs $$$$$$$, and could scacrifice alot of reliablity) (Heaviest out of all the cars, but it's RWD, which makes it fun :) )

Choices That didn't make it:

Keep spec v + turbo it :/ and say bye bye to traction, possibly blown engine, made in mexico quality.
Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 T MT (Almost impossible to find in MT, without being extremely expensive)
used TSX MT (aftermarket still hasn't picked up)
Dodge Stealth AWD TT (iffy on the reliability)
Z32 300ZX TT (this one might be REAL iffy haha)
ST185 Toyota Celica Alltrac (heard reliablity is not the greatest on these things...and the amount of mainance required is high too)
Used Mini Cooper S MT (yea right...people don't sell these things used)
Possible Trade for a 2005 Legacy GT? (Boosted, AWD and sexy looking :D)(I think this one is REALLY pushing it out of my price range haha)
R32 GTR/GTS-T (Maintance...reliability to be modified as a daily driver is questionable with my income...it'll probally cost me more than I want to pay to keep it running :(, Finding people to acctually WORK on the car is hard too.)

If you guys have any other suggestions or why something shouldn't be in the "didn't make it list" let me know I'm open to suggestions :)

please tell me you're a chick, there's no way a guy would be that picky. :devil:

I would suggest sticking with the car you already have. You basically talked yourself out of every car you listed. :drama:

in*10*se
06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
92 NSX
:D

DarkDream
06-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
If you dont like the WRX how bout the STi? You did mention the IS300 which are pretty exspensive , seriously go to subaru and test drive an STi, i gaurantee you will like it.

I think the STI is a great car... its fast and all..... But for gas and maintenance its not going to be worth it:D

Daemos
06-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
would it be worth it to buy one here and drive it home?

I've seen a few for sale here in town.

Jack up your limit and be responsible, the only way you will get ahead is by borrowing and paying back over time.

They want to see that you can make a stable payment over time.

Buy and payoff:thumbsdow
Buy and pay over time:thumbsup:

As for going out there to take a look at one, I currently really REALLY don't have the time. I'm taking summer courses to try to finish my degree faster (and get into med school faster) so I can get out of school faster yey!

Yea, but my job only nets me $1K a month although all I do is pay for gas...lol and nothing really else.

$1000 a month to me isn't too much money for me to add car payments on top of that.

statick
07-07-2004, 02:36 PM
yo man, the best car i think for u to get is an S14....i jsut got one, and i love it. in ur price range , u can easily get one in good condition and engine swap/mod it real nice...

also , i dont see wuts so bad botu the car u have now , ur specv., i love thsoe things,... some old man t-boned me, if my car is a writeoff, ima get me a spec v....

neway , good luk with ur new car....think S14

joegrang
07-07-2004, 05:12 PM
listening to all of this I really don't think u have the money to afford any of these cars. If ur looking for a fast car.. it's a given that u'll be spending lots on maint, also if ur doing aftermarket stuff it gets really addictive and I would be suprised if u don't totally sink urself into debt modding ur car. Sounds like u have enough money to buy the car but that's about it... u want something reliable cuz you can't really afford to have the car in the garage all the time if ur in med school. I have friends who have spent close to 5 or 6 K just for the basic wheels, suspension intake mods. I doubt u'll be able to do much of the work urself with most of the cars u've listed. So I would keep the spec v wait till ur interning then look at something really nice and fast like the NSX It may seem like it's absolutely necessary right now to have a fast and nice car but trust me to keep a fast car u'll either have to mod it a great deal or u'll have to repair it quite often prolly around 1000-1200 bux a year on maint remember ur in winnipeg there's a reason why u don't seen a ton of 911 turbos and 355s there and why there is an abundance in sol cal. But honestly, I would just wait ur choices will open up when ur making close to 50K a year... cuz I'm pretty sure Winnipeg will eat ur car up within a few years....