PDA

View Full Version : Flames and Oiler fan dedication

TalonVelocity
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok,

Switch roles for a sec.. The Oilers are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Flames didnt make the playoffs.. Would Calgary be goin nuts with flags and signs and billboards over the Oilers like Edmonton is over Calgary? I think this is ridiculous, I am an Oiler fan, not an Alberta or Canada fan.. Im hoping for TB, only because I am an Oiler fan, and I CAN'T root for Calgary.. I am very dissappointed in my city right now, but anyway, would Calgary have the same support?

88CRX
06-06-2004, 03:27 PM
not from me

limecorrado
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I Am From Edmonton

I Want calgary to win because they have worked extreemly hard all season to be in this position.They are exciting to watch and Well Coached.I Want calgary to win the cup, i chear when they score, however i won't buy a calgary jersey or flag.If that makes sense.

I think if the oilers were in the same situation, calgarians would support us.

Kobe
06-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Fuck i just want a canadian team 2 hold the cup...soo i'd end up cheering for edmonton, unless they like played colorado or something.. in western conference finals hahah...

TalonVelocity
06-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Also: any help given would be appreciated here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48255

lol

ryder_23
06-06-2004, 04:06 PM
last year, i went out and partied for vancouve..had flags and everything...didnt cheer for edmonton, cause i had 4 dalls players in my hockey pool :D
but we were mostly (me and my friends), bitter at edmonton cause calgary didnt make playoffs again...so i wouldnt see why you would cheer for us in first round, but i could see in the later parts, such as now, i'd be boosting edmonton sooo much...

GT-FOUR
06-06-2004, 05:07 PM
I grew up in Edmonton. I live in Calgary now.

I am a hardcore oilers fan. I watched almost every regular season game this year.

Sadly the oilers didnt make the playoffs. It was crazy close though.

You need to get over it man. Calgary is full of great people, the fans are awesome. Calgary is an awesome city and I love it here. You are hating a team for no reason at all.

Iginla is from St. Albert, about what, 10 minutes away from Edmonton? Ryan Smyth is Calgarian. Do you hate him?

This year the flames have proven how dedicated they are to the win. They have been the underdogs in EVERY SINGLE SERIES thus far. And now they are 1 win from the cup. There is no team that has worked as hard as the flames that was in the playoffs.

Why the hell not cheer for them? They are a great team, they are canadian, they are albertan. It's not like you are dismissing the oilers as your favourite team. They just aren't in it right now. Next year I'll still be cheering for the oilers.

Get over it.

Moonracer
06-06-2004, 05:10 PM
I would most certainly go for the Oilers over Tampa. I am Canadian...lol There is no way I'd go for an american team for the cup before a canadian team.

finboy
06-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I would most certainly go for the Oilers over Tampa. I am Canadian...lol There is no way I'd go for an american team for the cup before a canadian team.

:werd:

hjr
06-06-2004, 05:48 PM
born in calgary, live in edmonton. I want the flames to win even though i am an oilers fan. I would cheer for calgary always, except if its calgary vs. edmonton. other than that, any canadian team that doesnt start with "T" i'll chear for.

Weapon_R
06-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Calgarian first, but Canadian second! If the roles were reversed, and it was an American Vs. Canadian Team (yes, even the oilers), you bet i'd be nearly as proud to cheer them on! I drove to Edmonton a few weeks ago and say this sign as I entered the limits:

WELCOME TO EDMONTON
WE ARE STILL THE CITY OF CHAMPIONS
But We Are Cheering For You, Calgary. Go Flames Go!

I thought Edmontonians showed a lot of class with that sign. It made me feel comfortable sporting my Flames flag in Edmonton :D

C4S
06-06-2004, 05:54 PM
I came from Edmonton, and a big oilers fan, and I am not really an flames fan, however, Flames did so well this yr, and I really want them to take the cup, and can show to those american teams, MONEY CANNOT buy the CUP ! and hopefully both oilers and flames will do well next season !

Go Flames Go ! take the Cup back to Alberta ! :thumbsup:

Wildcat
06-06-2004, 06:13 PM
:drama:

your cheering for tampa bay, just in spite of the flames??? get real buddy. :rolleyes:

BOOOOOO THIS MAN!!!

Moonracer
06-06-2004, 07:12 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! hehe

Hakkola
06-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I've always cheered for Edmonton in the Playoffs, especially back in the day when Cujo was playing so well, those were entertaining games.

403Gemini
06-07-2004, 12:29 AM
i wouldnt be wavin a flag and gettin shit faced cause of the oilers, but i would cheer for em!

cman
06-07-2004, 12:40 AM
i would definatly be cheering for the oilers if they made it to the finals.

Redlyne_mr2
06-07-2004, 08:52 AM
I would totally cheer for the Oilers, theyve always been a great team. Alberta is one of the greatest places to live in North America and I think that any team from our province wether it's football, hockey, lacrosse, whatever deserves full support from everyone in the province.I don't want to see Alberta get turned into a fucked up province like Ontario where Toronto people hate Ottawa people and vise versa. I mean seriously banning people from wearing Maple Leaf Jerseys in Ottawa's stadium...wtf is that...nice example those fags in Ontario are making for young kids. stupid loser fucking province. GO FLAMES GO

DJ Lazy
06-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Originally posted by finboy

What they said... :D
Its a Canadian game.. the cup belongs back in Canada.. :thumbsup:

GO FLAMES GO!!!!!

hyperwhite
06-07-2004, 05:04 PM
if it was 15 years ago it might be different but its been so damn long that everyone just wants the cup back in canada, no matter who's doin it.

hockeybronx
06-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by TalonVelocity
Ok,

Switch roles for a sec.. The Oilers are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Flames didnt make the playoffs.. Would Calgary be goin nuts with flags and signs and billboards over the Oilers like Edmonton is over Calgary? I think this is ridiculous, I am an Oiler fan, not an Alberta or Canada fan.. Im hoping for TB, only because I am an Oiler fan, and I CAN'T root for Calgary.. I am very dissappointed in my city right now, but anyway, would Calgary have the same support?

Finally I've found someone who knows how I feel. I am a 100% devoted Leafs fan. When the Leafs got eliminated I sat back and swallowed it.

I wasn't cheering for anyone, and I wasn't cheering for Tampa Bay, but rather I was cheering against the Flames solely because of the way Flames fans treat their team.

I guess that's just the way Leafs fans are: it's either Leafs or nobody!

Redlyne_mr2
06-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Finally I've found someone who knows how I feel. I am a 100% devoted Leafs fan. When the Leafs got eliminated I sat back and swallowed it.

I wasn't cheering for anyone, and I wasn't cheering for Tampa Bay, but rather I was cheering against the Flames solely because of the way Flames fans treat their team.

I guess that's just the way Leafs fans are: it's either Leafs or nobody!
Whats so bad about how the flames fans treat their team? Is it bad that the entire saddledome was wearing red during games, or that even when the flames are loosing the fans are still chanting go flames go. How about the full saddledome where people gather to watch the jumbotrons on away games, or the entire street devoted to celebrating the flames victory. Every team has their bandwagoners but there is absolutely nothing wrong with how Calgary treats their Flames. I have however been to several leafs games and I have seen the leafs booed by their own fans for loosing. The TO maple leafs is the worst hockey organization in Canada IMO

hockeybronx
06-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Whats so bad about how the flames fans treat their team? Is it bad that the entire saddledome was wearing red during games, or that even when the flames are loosing the fans are still chanting go flames go. How about the full saddledome where people gather to watch the jumbotrons on away games, or the entire street devoted to celebrating the flames victory. Every team has their bandwagoners but there is absolutely nothing wrong with how Calgary treats their Flames. I have however been to several leafs games and I have seen the leafs booed by their own fans for loosing. The TO maple leafs is the worst hockey organization in Canada IMO

You see it never was like this before the playoff run. Remember at the start of last year when the team had to set a quota on how many season tickets they had to sell to have a concrete future in Calgary? There was no support then.

I also remember going to many games against teams like Philly, Detroit, Colorado, and Toronto when there were more fans cheering for these teams than the Flames.

Or how about what Flames fans have done to goaltenders when the team is struggling. Kidd, Fuhr, Vernon, Turek, they get absolutely shit on for all the teams problems. What a way for Fuhr and Vernon to end their careers. Where was the support there?

Yeah there are times when Leafs fans boo their team, but the fact is that they fill the building every night of the season which the Flames don't. Also Leafs fans know everything about their team all the way up and down the roster and these are the fans that stick with them through the playoffs.

Sure for every crowd of 19,000 in the dome there are probably 8,000 who are true devoted Flames fans, but the other 11,000 are only there because times are good, and when the shit comes hard and the team struggles these people are nowhere to be found.

C4S
06-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Yes .. I think .. for that 19000 people .. may only 5000 or less are truth Hockey fan, I talked to many people, they cheer for flames ..but .. they don't even know what is "off side" and .. :(

I watched few reg season game here, like playing with Toronto, Ottawa , Oilers etc .. it was the fact, almost more fan for other team then flames ! and I came from Edmonton, when you go see a game in reg season, you will see mostly oilers fan, and they are truth Hockey fan.

Hopefully, there will be more and more Truth Flames fan in this city ! And hopdfully one day, most the Top NHL teams are canadian !
:thumbsup:

CKY
06-08-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by C4S
Yes .. I think .. for that 19000 people .. may only 5000 or less are truth Hockey fan, I talked to many people, they cheer for flames ..but .. they don't even know what is "off side" and .. :(

I watched few reg season game here, like playing with Toronto, Ottawa , Oilers etc .. it was the fact, almost more fan for other team then flames ! and I came from Edmonton, when you go see a game in reg season, you will see mostly oilers fan, and they are truth Hockey fan.

Hopefully, there will be more and more Truth Flames fan in this city ! And hopdfully one day, most the Top NHL teams are canadian !
:thumbsup:

back on topic, yes i would rather have a canadian team hold the cup, teams down in the states will proberly win it and half their city might not even care

Speed_Dreams
06-08-2004, 03:12 AM
i am pro on canadian hockey. that means anywhere out west is where the cup should be.....but i wouldn't cheer for totonto because they are cheap mothers...and montreal is a bunch of diving babies

rice_eater
06-08-2004, 03:42 AM
i would vote, but why bother thinking about something that's never gonna happen :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
06-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

You see it never was like this before the playoff run. Remember at the start of last year when the team had to set a quota on how many season tickets they had to sell to have a concrete future in Calgary? There was no support then.

I also remember going to many games against teams like Philly, Detroit, Colorado, and Toronto when there were more fans cheering for these teams than the Flames.

Or how about what Flames fans have done to goaltenders when the team is struggling. Kidd, Fuhr, Vernon, Turek, they get absolutely shit on for all the teams problems. What a way for Fuhr and Vernon to end their careers. Where was the support there?

Yeah there are times when Leafs fans boo their team, but the fact is that they fill the building every night of the season which the Flames don't. Also Leafs fans know everything about their team all the way up and down the roster and these are the fans that stick with them through the playoffs.

Sure for every crowd of 19,000 in the dome there are probably 8,000 who are true devoted Flames fans, but the other 11,000 are only there because times are good, and when the shit comes hard and the team struggles these people are nowhere to be found.
You know your hockey for sure man:) good call, you need to remember however that the gta has 5 times the population of Calgary so who knows, the true hockey fans at the Calgary games might be the same percentage of the true hockey fans at the Toronto games. The Leafs do have a long history in Canada though and the love for the team has been passed through the generations more so than in Calgary.

/////AMG
06-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Who were the two guys ion 17th wearing a Oilers jersey? lol

some guy yelled "WHAT THE FUCK, BOOO!!"

Speed_Dreams
06-08-2004, 04:38 PM
haha the guy that yelled that was my cousins buddy it was great. the oiler guy was just like....ok thanks...

funniest shit ever!