PDA

View Full Version : Neon GONE.

5.9 R/T
06-08-2002, 01:58 AM
As of MY '03 the Neon name will cease to exsist. The model itself will continue with new front and rear end treatments but the basic sheetmetal will remain the same. Rumor is the new name will be SX 2.0 in base, sport, and R/T models. Also for the first time in canada the neon will be sold as a dodge not a chrysler. The SRT has been confirmed for release in canada in '03. Production begins in december. That should answer most of the questions some of you had about the future of the neon. ;)

Edit: Also of note dodge is apparently decided to continue on with the dakota model past '04 which this time around should not resemble the look of the durango. Rumor is that it will be available in club cab (2dr ext. cab) and quad cab (4dr) and the R/T will be replaced by the SRT-8 powered by the new magnum HEMI (345hp).

James
06-08-2002, 02:50 AM
Cool, SRT-8 Magnum HEMI !:cool: Should be alot of Fast trucks within the next couple years!

4wheeldrift
06-08-2002, 08:39 AM
Should be interesting to see the Neon SRT in action. Wondering how they'll do for solo 2.

mwmhong
06-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Also for the first time in canada the neon will be sold as a dodge not a chrysler.

The 1st gen neons have been Dodges and Plymouths, not Chryslers, mines a Plymouth, and I've seen tons of dodges around (they got the goat emblem on the hood)

http://members.albertacars.net/mwmhong/neon_srt1.jpg

Neon SRT! They're supposed to have other mods coming out to up the HP to 260+!:clap: :clap: :clap:

5.9 R/T
06-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Really? I knew they were sold as plymouths but I didn't think they were ever sold as dodges. IMO the chrysler name is equivelent to buick or lincon, or at least in the past it was, and cars like the neon and PT cruiser do not fit with the brand image. Maybe DC is beginning to figure this out.

2000impreza
06-08-2002, 07:34 PM
i can't imagine it would be too hard to get more power out of the neon srt. i wonder if it will be reliable.

2K255HP
06-08-2002, 11:07 PM
My first car was a neon expresso lightest of em all with the 2.0 dohc.....it was a cool car and ya my was a plymouth but there were some dodges

I am looking forward to the SRT ;)
can't wait to see what it can do

speedracer
06-10-2002, 11:52 AM
Really? I knew they were sold as plymouths but I didn't think they were ever sold as dodges.

They were sold as Dodge as well. I think all the R/T models were designated as dodge. In sales Dodge sold more neons than plymouth.

IMO the chrysler name is equivelent to buick or lincon, or at least in the past it was, and cars like the neon and PT cruiser do not fit with the brand image. Maybe DC is beginning to figure this out.

I agree.
I've seen a couple of Gen 2 R/T with the dodge emblem now so It's prob migrating already.

Is it really confirmed. Last news I got was that the first Lot was to be in the US as they were limiting production with no plans to sell in Canada until a review.

T5_X
06-10-2002, 10:41 PM

Edit: Also of note dodge is apparently decided to continue on with the dakota model past '04 which this time around should not resemble the look of the durango. Rumor is that it will be available in club cab (2dr ext. cab) and quad cab (4dr) and the R/T will be replaced by the SRT-8 powered by the new magnum HEMI (345hp).

Good! I don't know why in the hell they'd bring in that 1/4 ton concept that looked like a tonka truck on drugs, especially when GM is bringing out the colorado (replacing the s-10, and yes, it will have the 4.2 I-6) and ford is bringing out the new ranger (all new I-4,5 and 6 engines of the duratec family rumored), both of which will be Dakota sized. I hope they make the future styling like the agressive new ram!

pr5owner
07-08-2002, 02:25 PM
i heard that since chrysler and mitsu are together they will sell the 2004/2005 lancer evo as a neon too!

ninspeed
07-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by pr5owner
i heard that since chrysler and mitsu are together they will sell the 2004/2005 lancer evo as a neon too!

nope.. mitsu will be selling the evo under the mitsu name only.. there is a mitsu dealership opening in calgary in sept.. (there are two open in canada allready)...
Chrysler and Mitsu have not made anything toghter in quite some time... although some parts are the same for some of the new cars, no full bred mitsus under the dodge name..

mwmhong
07-08-2002, 02:41 PM
I've read rumors of Mitsu motors being used in the redesigned neon. I think the DOHC 95-99 neon engine is a Mitsu Engine with the intake and exhaust ports reversed?

2000impreza
07-08-2002, 02:48 PM
the 420A engine is a mitsu i think. they used it in some neons.

speedracer
07-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
the 420A engine is a mitsu i think. they used it in some neons.

:confused: Shhhhhhh... :D

Not some - All. Though a True Chrysler finatic / Mitsu enthusasist will tell you it's not. The engine was designed in house with LOTS of Mitsu influence to the point it's not even funny.

Now with DC in charge it looks like the marriage will be happening again.

As for the production it could be the Lancer (this is the rumor so far as the replacement).

Don't forget - badges are just that. They can be easily changed.

In case this is brought up. NO the talon / laser / eclipse engine will not fit.