PDA

View Full Version : No Flames next year? (NHL Lockout)

googe
06-08-2004, 11:00 AM
So being caught up in the playoffs, I had no idea the game is in jeopardy. NHL reps have been quoted as saying they are now 90% sure we will have no hockey for a year and a half.

Anyone else come across more info? That really sucks.

This coulda been our last chance for a while then, if they wont be on the ice until like 3 seasons from now, who knows whatll happen. I was thinking we'll get them next year along with alot of other people, but with that news Im not so hopeful.

Gonthro
06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
they need to take a year off to figure out what this game is really about. (money, or entertainment?)

hyperwhite
06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
money and entertainment go hand in hand. the more entertaining the game is the more money they will make. if there is a lock out IMO its the NHLPAs fault. there is now way the game can survive with the players taking 75% of the money. there needs to be atleast a soft cap of 60-65% of the revenue from the year before.

Dope Dealer
06-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Bobby Hull is supposed to announce his WHA teams later today or this week.

10 million cap on the team, with a 5 million cap on big name players.

Xtrema
06-08-2004, 11:17 AM
This will never happen if NHL didn't expand like crazy under Bettman's watch.

Talent is thin. Games are boring. 1/2 the teams are losing money. And players wants more because of the big ticket teams jack up the rate.

NHL as it is won't work. A mixed of profit sharing and salary cap must take place.

hyperwhite
06-08-2004, 11:18 AM
it'll never work. everyone is going to europe. Go Frankfurt Lions! :rofl:

djfob
06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Look at what a lockout did to baseball. They still haven't gotten all the fans back.

hjr
06-08-2004, 11:23 AM
lockout would KILL the nhl. Sure canadians would still watch, but what about new market american fans. Think about all the fans in tampa that have been created. Kiss them goodbye if there is a lockout. People dont have patience for grouchy millionaires.

A lockout may even cost the NHL my support.

Gonthro
06-08-2004, 11:28 AM
the fans in the US dnt support hockey, they support the opportunity to be arrogant picks and boo us at any opportunity.

QuasarCav
06-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
This will never happen if NHL didn't expand like crazy under Bettman's watch.

Talent is thin. Games are boring. 1/2 the teams are losing money. And players wants more because of the big ticket teams jack up the rate.

NHL as it is won't work. A mixed of profit sharing and salary cap must take place.

:werd:

It's all about compromise. Still want to make 5 mil a season? well that will be tough if their is no league to play in.

Everyone should have base salaries that are compounded by performance.

Dont play well, dont get paid well.

I would go to alot more hockey games if it didn't cost $150.00 for a night out with the lady!

googe
06-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I mean it would be one thing if the NHL was making a killing and the players were turning all these profits and not seeing any of it, but from what I hear, the numbers arent near favorable for any sensible business, and any player potentially affected by the cap is clearly very wealthy as it is. Its those greedy bastards that are going to single handedly ruin it for the rest of the continent.

Khyron
06-08-2004, 12:00 PM
The Flames owners said they don't turn a profit until the 2nd or 3rd game of the playoffs. Which is a bad way to run a business. Does football or baseball have salary caps? How come this problem didn't happen to the cfl/nfl? Basketball?

Khyron

accordboi_02
06-08-2004, 12:09 PM
CFL is ALWAYS in money problems, they have a cap, but it doesnt matter - its proof that a Canadian only league is very tough to be profitable.

NFL has a hard cap, which is why we see the parity in that league. It seems every year now has new playoff teams and new superbowl champs. The NFL is the model for how a league should be run IMO - strong fan base, smart expansion, and HUGE TV contracts.

NBA isn't as rosy as people seem to think - in fact, it looks like the NBA is suffering from the same problems as the NHL - not enough stars, boring defensive basketball being played in many of the markets, and its TV ratings are down as well. Just look at the finals - the Pistons who win b/c they keep opponents under 75 points and who almost never score 90 points, and the Lakers - the NBAs version of the Yankees or Avalanche, Red Wings, etc.

The NHL is a joke in the US right now, and I don't see its image changing anytime soon with all of the controversy this season.
When the biggest stories are an ape breaking a player's neck, a player arrested for trying to have his psycho agent killed and a conspiracy theory that the league wants certain teams to win - you're not going to sell many tickets to a fickle US crowd.

RiCE-DaDDy
06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
CFL is ALWAYS in money problems, they have a cap, but it doesnt matter - its proof that a Canadian only league is very tough to be profitable.

NFL has a hard cap, which is why we see the parity in that league. It seems every year now has new playoff teams and new superbowl champs. The NFL is the model for how a league should be run IMO - strong fan base, smart expansion, and HUGE TV contracts.

NBA isn't as rosy as people seem to think - in fact, it looks like the NBA is suffering from the same problems as the NHL - not enough stars, boring defensive basketball being played in many of the markets, and its TV ratings are down as well. Just look at the finals - the Pistons who win b/c they keep opponents under 75 points and who almost never score 90 points, and the Lakers - the NBAs version of the Yankees or Avalanche, Red Wings, etc.

The NHL is a joke in the US right now, and I don't see its image changing anytime soon with all of the controversy this season.
When the biggest stories are an ape breaking a player's neck, a player arrested for trying to have his psycho agent killed and a conspiracy theory that the league wants certain teams to win - you're not going to sell many tickets to a fickle US crowd.

true about the NBA, but i think the opinions are different when it comes to finance-induced styles of play. In hockey, we get the trap and its hella boring. But your wrong about the NBA being like the NHL in that sense. I'd consider the T'wolves middle-small franchise and they're payroll is $10mill more than the lakers. Pistons are definitely not a small market team.

The NFL way is kinda too harsh. Free agent market is kinda destroying tradition and rivalries. One year you have superbowl, next year, u have suck ass losers, thats no fun.

I'd say its gotta be somewhere inbetween NBA and NFL.

accordboi_02
06-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

true about the NBA, but i think the opinions are different when it comes to finance-induced styles of play. In hockey, we get the trap and its hella boring. But your wrong about the NBA being like the NHL in that sense. I'd consider the T'wolves middle-small franchise and they're payroll is $10mill more than the lakers. Pistons are definitely not a small market team.

The NFL way is kinda too harsh. Free agent market is kinda destroying tradition and rivalries. One year you have superbowl, next year, u have suck ass losers, thats no fun.

I'd say its gotta be somewhere inbetween NBA and NFL.

Well the T'Wolves payroll is so high because of KG and that's it - that's no different than Calgary having a higher payroll than TB - Iginla makes ~$8 Mil of our payroll, St Louis makes like $800K. But I was referring more to the problem of talent dilution that the NBA and NHL are facing, and the fact that teams are going more defensive and boring to compete. I watched Game 6 of Pacers/Pistons, and that was one of the WORST games I have ever seen - neither team could make a shot to save their lives!

As for the NFL system, what it does do is encourage smart GMs and smart signings (i.e. Glen Sather would be LONG gone if he were in the NFL). The Eagles are perenially in the conference finals; New England has a couple Superbowls in a short period, if it weren't for injuries, TB and St Louis could have done damage last year as well. If SF had wanted, they could have kept T.O. but he wasn't worth it as a person and as a player. It works, and if you look at it from a league sense, it works too, as it keeps all of the fans involved, so you really won't see a run like the Flames where a team will go 7 years without playoffs... just my opinion though.

RiCE-DaDDy
06-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Well you said Lakers are like teh red wings which they are but it's not much of a factor, hence T'wolves.

Difference in NHL and NBA is that, you can teach defense in NHL, but in NBA its more about the player than systems.