PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 200sx Turbo, Good buy?

QuasarCav
06-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Hello,

Just a few questions for those who know about these cars.

I am able to pick up a 200sx with the CA18DET for pretty cheap. Is there anything to watch out for in these cars? Are mods out there for it?

What are they worth for a 87 with 200k?

Thanks in advance

240Pinoylvr
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
thats an easy answer. Hell no..

if you are going to spend the cash for a CA18, you might as well go for the SR20. here are the reasons..

There is no replacement for displacement.

SR has more horsepower

SR can withstand very high cmpression and tuning

CA18 is Iron, SR is aluminum, this SR is lighter

More parts are available readily for the SR

and the SR just plain looks SICK in any Nissan......

Seriously, the CA is a great engine but inless you want to be old school or jsut be plain different, spend the money on a SR

240Pinoylvr
06-08-2004, 01:55 PM
unless... hes offering a good price.... heh.... what is he hitting you up for?? How many miles? what mods has he done to it?

QuasarCav
06-08-2004, 02:01 PM
How the hell do i get a SR20DET in canada without importing a JDM version or paying 5k to swap it in?

This is all about the 200sx, not about CA vs. SR

200k, no mods.

anyone else?

I think he wants 1500

Mike_man44
06-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Hell for 1500 Take it. Nice car.

CelicaST-162
06-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Quasarcav, dont listen to "240Pinoylvr"....Anyways it's a good reliable quick car. If the body is in good shape, the engine runs good, not blowing any abnormal smoke then go for it! You can do some minor mods like intake and exhaust to free up some more spool in the turbo. For more resources check out http://www.club-s12.org/

240Pinoylvr, some people are not as rich as you are!

mx73someday
06-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Are you sure its not a CA18ET, I didn't think they made any DOHC turbo CA18's in Canada, only non-turbo DOHCs in the Pulsars.

They are sweet cars, just make sure it has an independant rear suspension, the non-turbo's dont.

If you can't find mods for it, you can always get a boost controller and turn it up a bit and do custom work, like exhaust and FMIC.

nismodrifter
06-08-2004, 07:50 PM
yes in an 200SX it is a CA18ET not a CA18DET

240Pinoylvr
06-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Quasarcav, dont listen to "240Pinoylvr"....Anyways it's a good reliable quick car. If the body is in good shape, the engine runs good, not blowing any abnormal smoke then go for it! You can do some minor mods like intake and exhaust to free up some more spool in the turbo. For more resources check out http://www.club-s12.org/

240Pinoylvr, some people are not as rich as you are!

Humm.... so my facts are wrong???

oviously you know alot about nissans..

Anyway, for the price, it is a very good buy. I went into the lecture casue they had some idiot charging about $5,000 US for the same model and setup, and he completely dogged the SR

BTW.... im not rich, :drama:

CelicaST-162
06-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Your facts are right, or are they not (some people may have mixed opinions about both engines). Simply put, what you said had nothing to do with the fact that QuasarCav was asking if these cars were good, what should he look out for, not finding which is better than the other. You just basically stated the obvious, so in the end do you know a lot about Nissan's?

240Pinoylvr
06-08-2004, 08:30 PM
you must have missed the post under thatone, but yea, i am by far no nissan god, but i worked for Nissan, so ive driven just about all of their cars.

Besides the fact me and my cousin did his SR swap in his garage with a few of our friends.

4 of my other firends own SR's, 2 more are joining the SR bandwagon (one was diehard CA18 but he came to his senses)

and my SR swap will happen in the next 3 months, stil debating if to start with rims/suspension first. in short i dont know everything but i know a little of everything

DeathBy240
06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 240Pinoylvr
you must have missed the post under thatone, but yea, i am by far no nissan god, but i worked for Nissan, so ive driven just about all of their cars.

Besides the fact me and my cousin did his SR swap in his garage with a few of our friends.

4 of my other firends own SR's, 2 more are joining the SR bandwagon (one was diehard CA18 but he came to his senses)

and my SR swap will happen in the next 3 months, stil debating if to start with rims/suspension first. in short i dont know everything but i know a little of everything

Why are you even talking about SR20s? The car has a CA18ET in it already. To swap in an SR would be expensive and a big pain in the ass. It would be a great little car and like it was said alrweady throw a boost controller on it and maybe a FMIC and go from there.

If you dont buy it for 1500 let me know and I'll pick it up!

QuasarCav
06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks 240 and celica!

I think i am going to give it a try. No funny smoke and it does have independant rears.

Analog dash, sunroof and newer paint.

Is this a good track car or more of a straight line dragster?

95acc
06-09-2004, 09:30 AM
The SR in a 200 is a pain but the CA18Det is a pretty simple swap.
I love my 200 runs great pretty quick, the only down side is the lack of aftermarket support.

Check out
www.club-s12.org
good group of guys and LOTS of info.
$1500 for a ca 200sx is a good deal if the km's are low.

DonJuan
06-09-2004, 10:34 PM
hmmm you can do both. I think the only problem with auto x'ing the s12 is weight and stiffness of the chassis. But this can be solved by gutting it and stiffening everything up. It all depends on what youy want to do with it and how much cash you got. Buy it, 1500 for a turbo s12 in good cond is sweet.

Scat
06-11-2004, 12:51 PM
They are pretty good cars, and for $1500 if its in good shape buy it for sure!

As far as I know the CA18ET has 130hp, which isn't too bad. But does anyone know if the DOHC head from either a JDM CA18DET, or CA18DE from a pulsar will fit on the 200sx block?

95acc
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
It will but it is alot of work and the bottom end of the ca18et is the weakest part.

alpha_gangsta
06-11-2004, 11:21 PM
used to own a S12 200SX turbo myself... talked to a few people that have done an SR20 conversion and besides the wiring... it wasn;t too bad from what I heard. need a new rear driveshaft from a datsun 510, shave a millimeter or two off the top of the transmission so it fits on the underbody properly and the shifter is just moved back a bit as well. nothign too big. but I geuss it has been awhile.