PDA

View Full Version : Cars cheaper in edmonton than calgary?

Hollywood
06-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Is it just me or does it seem the used cars are cheaper in edmonton compaired to calgary? Just something I have noticed over the years.

Mike09
06-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Yea, way cheaper. Dunno what it is but in alot of cases it's cheaper to go for the drive and save some money!

eb0i
06-08-2004, 10:11 PM
yeah i've noticed that a long time ago too.

Ben
06-08-2004, 10:11 PM
I think Calgary has the Highest Car price of any major city in Canada. Cars are SO cheap in BC and Down east.
My next car is coming from down east.

rage2
06-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Yep! I got my civic in Edmonton for a great price.

3G
06-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I think Calgary has the Highest Car price of any major city in Canada. Cars are SO cheap in BC and Down east.
My next car is coming from down east.

watch out for the rust down east!

C4S
06-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Come on ! Please ! no way !

I had lived in Edmonton for yrs and yrs .. and all my friends say the other way ! calgary cars are cheaper !! and they come down to buy used cars !!

I guess .. just .depends .. Calgary and Edmonton prices . if you look around ..and compare more .. they are about the same ..

yes .. some idiots ask too much for their cars in calgary .. but same in edmonton !

hwoever . cars from east are way cheaper .. but .. would you take a risk ??

Van cars are nice too.. and not that bad shape .. :)

hjr
06-08-2004, 11:38 PM
edmonton does generally have cheaper cars than calgary. (except for the 993T that went through the porsche dealer for a rediculus sum). Most of the time, with equal cars, edmonton will be cheaper. Its generally worth the 50 or 60 bucks in gas to make an edmonton run.

max_boost
06-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Vancouver is a great place to find a used car at a good price. It's not too far away, the vehicle's condition is generally much better since it doesn't have to endure the gruelling winter conditions. Not to mention the scenic summer drive on the way back where you can get acquainted with your new ride. :thumbsup:

T5_X
06-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Fuck, why do people always say Vancouver cars are in better condition? That is absolute bullshit. The majority of km on a Vancouver car will be city commuter mileage, which is brutal on a car, especially with Vancouver hills, tons of stoplights (Lots of stop and go) and common hour long traffic jams.

Zero102
06-09-2004, 12:52 AM
^^^
Bingo
They look to be in better shape, but the engines and transmissions see much more wear out in vancouver.
You also have to watch the rust on cars from out east. But, generally speaking, cars are cheaper out there.

I as well have noticed the apparent trend of cheaper cars in Edmonton, but as was already mentioned, it only appears that way.
For the most part, if you find a car that is cheaper in edmonton, wait a couple weeks, one will come up in Calgary for the same price. It's usually just luck when you look.
Although, I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a cheaper car in Edmonton.

dkny_stylez
06-09-2004, 08:08 AM
What are you talking about, I've lived in Edmonton for all my life. And for years, I've seen that Calgary has cheaper and more cars for sale.

Gonthro
06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
cars may be cheaper in van, but by the time you get them here, pay for an out of province inspection and crap its not much cheaper.

Xtrema
06-09-2004, 08:31 AM
To summarize:

Vancouver: No winter, nice body but stop and go traffic kills mechanics.

Edmonton: Blue collar town, things are cheaper

Calgary: White collar town, things are more expensive

East of Sask: Salt = rust

limecorrado
06-09-2004, 08:41 AM
What If a Car is a 2001 In ontario, I Can't See it Being a Rust Bucket Already.Is there a Time Amount Before The Factory Rust proofing Wears away?Seams Silly that They Would Instantly Rust.

I Have Seem Savings Of More than A Few Thousand On Many Newer Cars In Ontario.I Geuss i'd Have to see it to believe

Xtrema
06-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by limecorrado
What If a Car is a 2001 In ontario, I Can't See it Being a Rust Bucket Already.Is there a Time Amount Before The Factory Rust proofing Wears away?Seams Silly that They Would Instantly Rust.

I Have Seem Savings Of More than A Few Thousand On Many Newer Cars In Ontario.I Geuss i'd Have to see it to believe

Friends out in Ottawa, one has a 2000 Scooby, the other a 2001 Civic. Both have started to rust down under. I think rust warranty only covers body and floor, other parts (muffler, suspension wheels are not covered and that's the parts you worry about.

C4S
06-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez
What are you talking about, I've lived in Edmonton for all my life. And for years, I've seen that Calgary has cheaper and more cars for sale.

I agree ..

I guess just diff type of cars .. for nicer cars, I think Calgary's prices are actually lower, such as Benz, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari ..etc . seen more of those cars in Calgary for sure ! (Van or Ont prices r even lower ! and they r so common )
For cheap car, such as Honda, Toyota, Prelude, Civic, celica , Ford, Jeep .. etc .. prices in Edmonton seem lower .. don't know why .. may be sellers over there are more realistic ?

:dunno:

blinkme_210
06-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by C4S

I agree ..

I guess just diff type of cars .. for nicer cars, I think Calgary's prices are actually lower, such as Benz, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari ..etc . seen more of those cars in Calgary for sure ! (Van or Ont prices r even lower ! and they r so common )
For cheap car, such as Honda, Toyota, Prelude, Civic, celica , Ford, Jeep .. etc .. prices in Edmonton seem lower .. don't know why .. may be sellers over there are more realistic ?

:dunno:

Cause like somebody mentioned before, we're a blue collar town, and nobody is gonna dish out white collar prices for a blue collar car.

And I think that theres a lot more people who drive trucks up here, than in Calgary.

Kartelli
06-09-2004, 04:25 PM
coming from a guy who spent 4 months looking for a car... import cars are outrageously priced for their year and condition in alberta.

Ive lived in edmonton all my life, who the fuck buys a 88 crx for 9 grand with 250k on original motor, same with preludes, celicas, integras.

civics are a dime a dozen, hence the prices being reasonable some of the time.

As for calgary being more expensive, I find more cars are available to the public in private sales. Edmonton has less selection... or maybe less people sell their cars privately?

1995 integra rs with 130kms for 12G... seems to be the going price these days.

C4S
06-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Kartelli

1995 integra rs with 130kms for 12G... seems to be the going price these days.

Come on .. that must be with tons of "useless" upgrade ..

I sold my 95 GSR in 1999, 1 owner with 70K on it, for $14,000 ! and I think it was fair ! ( when I was in edmonton, and I asked $16,900 ) :dunno: :dunno:
And friend of mine just sold his 92 Mr2 Turbo for $10,000 .. yes, his asking price was $ 16,900 .. but .. who pay that much ?? :dunno:

boostedDsm
06-11-2004, 07:56 PM
it's all about supply and demand, the more of one type of car in one area the cheaper they tend to be. Hence the BMW prices in vancouver