PDA

View Full Version : Used car has some problems

redline_13000
06-09-2004, 03:59 AM
A friend of mine bought a car about a month ago from someone on this site. He test drove the car and noticed it wouldnt go into first gear very well. He did realize that it could be minor or the transmission could be done. That wasnt a big deal.

He also noticed oil leaking from the front of the engine, and the owner told him it was from the valve cover. They came to an agreement that if it was leaking oil from elsewhere the owner would refund the money.

Yesterday was the first time He lifted the car(he was getting a new transmission put in) and noticed oil all over the engine from top to bottom(on the back of the engine, not where the valvecover was, and the bottom). Its obvious that the car is leaking oil from many places. On the bill of sale for conditions they signed for "Seller says only valve cover is leaking oil nothing else. If so, seller will refund. Must be checked by certified mechanic."

What options does he have? He has already put a bit of money into the car since buying it. Thanks for any advice.

limecorrado
06-09-2004, 08:45 AM
As A Seller Why The Heck Would He Write That??? Anyway If he did your friend can probally ask for some compensation, If it's only been a while.

autodc5
06-09-2004, 08:48 AM
really depends on how long hes had the car. but the guy who sold the car put that on the bill of sale he has to honor it. Take off whatever parts he put on and either sell them or buy another of the same car

hatetank
06-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Hilarious -- in my opinion it is always BUYER BEWARE, get the car checked out before you purchase it.

I cannot believe the seller would sign an agreement like that.

bighead2267
06-09-2004, 10:40 AM
be honest, i don't think there is anything u can do unless the seller is a very honor person. altought he sign the agreement on the bill of sale.

mx73someday
06-09-2004, 01:14 PM
The seller could just claim that its a new leak, which isn't entirely impossible, and that he sold it to him leak free (how are you going to prove it either way).

ehos
06-09-2004, 02:03 PM
New oil is very different from old stuff. Old stuff probably is going to be black, covered with dirt etc.

Just ask the PO. He might give a little money back. But if it's covered in oil, why wasn't it noticed before??

Cavet emptor. Your friend is most likely SOL. (Be nice to the PO, he might come clean and give you some money back?)

redline_13000
06-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Ya the oil looks like its pretty old, caked on with lots of dirt. Isnt new stuff for sure. :dunno:

dkny_stylez
06-09-2004, 02:46 PM
tell him to contact the seller, and explain the problem, and see if he will pay for it, or atleast pay half.

menace3
06-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by bighead2267
be honest, i don't think there is anything u can do unless the seller is a very honor person. altought he sign the agreement on the bill of sale.

hey man he's right.. next time bring a certified mechanic to look at the car.. i had same problem

T5_X
06-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Did I miss something? Is it a boxer engine or something, because the oil COULD have come from a valve cover leak since a little thing called gravity can carry it down the sides of the engine and down onto the oil pan :rofl:

Big_C_racing
06-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Are you possitive it is leaking from many places???...I would clean the engine off with engine degreaser and make sure its clean then drive the car for a bit and make sure he knows what is happening. once that has been done I dont think there is much that he can/should do as he has waited a while. Although the seller did sign it, it would be fair (IMO) at the most, to ask for a small amount of money for compensation rather than trying to get rid of the car. BTW, what type of car is it?