PDA

View Full Version : SOHC to DOHC valve train swap

DjOffender
06-10-2004, 10:29 PM
I've looked at the schematics for my car and I don't see where I would come across a problem. Has anyone done this before? If there is something I'm not seeing that would be getting me in way over my head please let me know. I would also be changing the cylinder heads, is that all I would need?

WGR4Pussies
06-10-2004, 11:39 PM
for waht car?

GTS Jeff
06-10-2004, 11:51 PM
thats a lot of work which wont necessarily net a lot of gains.

DjOffender
06-11-2004, 05:22 PM
What I'd probably do is take the SOHC off and replace it with the DOHC from the Evolution VII. The car to be moded is a '02 Lancer. What got me thinking about it is the Lancer and the Evolution share the same size engine (2.0L) and the only differences I can find between the two as far as engine work goes is: The Evo has Aluminum alloy cylinder heads, Lancer has Aluminum. The Evo has DOHC, Lancer has SOHC. The Evo has a Twin Turbin Turbo, Lancer has no turbo. There is 153hp difference between the two. I've looked at the mechanical specs for both cars and as far as mechanics go those seem to be the only big differences. Before anyone asks, I have no looked at the weight for both cars because I could not find it. If anyone knows more about this your comments would be appriciated.

2000impreza
06-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by DjOffender
What I'd probably do is take the SOHC off and replace it with the DOHC from the Evolution VII. The car to be moded is a '02 Lancer. What got me thinking about it is the Lancer and the Evolution share the same size engine (2.0L) and the only differences I can find between the two as far as engine work goes is: The Evo has Aluminum alloy cylinder heads, Lancer has Aluminum. The Evo has DOHC, Lancer has SOHC. The Evo has a Twin Turbin Turbo, Lancer has no turbo. There is 153hp difference between the two. I've looked at the mechanical specs for both cars and as far as mechanics go those seem to be the only big differences. Before anyone asks, I have no looked at the weight for both cars because I could not find it. If anyone knows more about this your comments would be appriciated.

there is way more to a head swap than what you think. i'm no mitsu expert... so not sure if you can take the head off the turbo evo 4g63 motor and put it on your NA lancer motor. assuming the head fits.. which i doubt, you still have to look into the combustion chamber volume, valve clearance, cam specs, sensors, intake manifold, throttle body,....etc.

you will be better off asking this question on a lancer/evo specific forum.

EK 2.0
06-11-2004, 05:58 PM

No...it will not work...Although I have read that the block is essentially the same, and that the head will bolt on...it is just not economically feasible for it to work...

Both heads are aluminum...I dont know where you got the one is an alloy and one is not...they are both made of the same material...but internally, man oh man are they ever different...even adise from the DOHC vs SOHC issues, materials for springs, retainers, port shapes are vastly different...your better, bet would be to import an EVO 4G63 and ECU and swap that in place of your 4G93...that will work out a lot better...

DjOffender
06-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

Both heads are aluminum...I dont know where you got the one is an alloy and one is not...they are both made of the same material...

It lists the materials the are made out of on the Mitsu website under mechanical specs. I wouldn't take second hand information on something like that. Part of this confusion is also because I'm being told different things from all kinds of mechanics, I just found a very Lancer oriented rally shop so I'm going to see how much they can tell me about it. As far as the engine swap, everything I've heard says that is a bad idea. Because of the different valve train, alternater, throttle body, etc. there are more weld points for the engine and transmission. Aside from all that I don't have close to the amount of mechanical experience I need to do an engine swap, esspecially seeing as how the car is my only means of transportation and I don't have the money to fix anything I f- up.

EK 2.0
06-12-2004, 02:23 PM

It lists the materials the are made out of on the Mitsu website under mechanical specs. I wouldn't take second hand information on something like that. Part of this confusion is also because I'm being told different things from all kinds of mechanics, I just found a very Lancer oriented rally shop so I'm going to see how much they can tell me about it. As far as the engine swap, everything I've heard says that is a bad idea. Because of the different valve train, alternater, throttle body, etc. there are more weld points for the engine and transmission. Aside from all that I don't have close to the amount of mechanical experience I need to do an engine swap, esspecially seeing as how the car is my only means of transportation and I don't have the money to fix anything I f- up.

Brackets can be constructed to allow the Evo 4G63 to fit...I mean remember back in the day before HAS people were fabbing their own brackets to swap Prelude motors into their lil Civics...

And even though the T/B and Alternator and bracket and misc. other things are different, if you get the entire Evo mill it should be a relativley strait fwd swap my friend...yes it will take a lil bit of time, and effort but I mean a FWD "Evo" kinda cool I think...

that's my $.02...let us know what the Lancer Shop tells you though, I am very curious...

DjOffender
06-14-2004, 04:07 PM
The verdict is in, a SOHC cannot be converted to DOHC. Unless of course you rebuild the entire engine and do things that two professional restoration mechanics said was "stupid and possibly dangerous". I talked to two Mitsu Rally teams, both of them (Russia and England) said it wouldn't be worth the engine swap because the new engine would put me into either Class V or Open Class Rally, and then of course I would proceed to get spanked by world class drivers. Now I just have to figure out what is the best order of upgrades and the best HP/handling gain for the money for Lancers. If anyone has worked on Lancers for Class Rally or has references I would be thrilled to know them. Input on what works best for HP gains for the money with 4 cyl., 2 liter, SOHC, also appriciated. Even better: Where I can get what you are referring for my Lancer. Biggest thing: I can't find anyone who does ECUs/fuel maps/tuning for Mitsu, refs to those are a big thanks. If you are in the same boat as me (have a mitsu you want for rally/street rally but cant find info) post or PM me and I'll send you all the info I have collected thus far. Thanks for your input guys.

EK 2.0
06-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Hmmm, I thought that would be the case...

Now...depending on what class you want to compete in, that will dictate how and what you can mod...you should first find out where you wanna compete, and see what those rules allow, and then we can start giving ideas for mods, and vendors you can contact...