PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Penguins??

CKY
06-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Mario Lemieux (owner / player) of Pittsburg Penguins is considering moving to another city because of the lack of support for a new stadium from the community and government. the possible cities they are moving to are:
Winnipeg :thumbsup:
houston
vegas
and four other cities i couldn't remember.
but this would be great for Winnipeg and hockey because their moving to a town where the people actually cares

heres the link to that article
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20040610_112157_4600

AquamosH
06-11-2004, 01:44 AM
It'd be great if we got another Canadian team. I heard that Vegas was interested in becoming an expansion city for the NHL, then they said something "more interesting" came up (NFL?).

SI-vic
06-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by AquamosH
It'd be great if we got another Canadian team. I heard that Vegas was interested in becoming an expansion city for the NHL, then they said something "more interesting" came up (NFL?).

ANOTHER EXPANSION TEAM???
holy #@% how many teams does the NHL need....
Bettman wants a hard cap in the NHL.... why doesnt he just friggin' stop expanding!!!!!!!! That'll keep the player salaries lower than what it could be with more teams in the NHL

hockeybronx
06-11-2004, 02:25 AM
I also heard that Hamilton was interested as well.

I saw an interview today, Lemieux said that he would quietly wait for the other side to make their decision, apparently Pittsburg needs a new facility to stay in the NHL (I don't know what was wrong with the Steel Centre).

I know for a fact that he'll want to do anything possible to keep the franchise in Pittsburg, but then again how much worse can a teams situation get before they make a fresh start?

googe
06-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SI-vic

ANOTHER EXPANSION TEAM???
holy #@% how many teams does the NHL need....
Bettman wants a hard cap in the NHL.... why doesnt he just friggin' stop expanding!!!!!!!! That'll keep the player salaries lower than what it could be with more teams in the NHL

Its not an expansion team. The Pittsburgh Penguins already exist.

roopi
06-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I(I don't know what was wrong with the Steel Centre).

I thought they played in the Igloo?

accordboi_02
06-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Keep dreaming about another Winnipeg team - unless there's huge changes in the CBA, no way we'll see another Cdn team here, seeing as how 3 of the current Cdn teams are struggling as it is. Flames are already talking about how difficult it's going to be to keep this team together, and they are in one of the best positions in the league in terms of number of players still signed...

legereandrew4
06-11-2004, 10:46 AM
^^^ flames will be all good for the next few years now... they raked in a huge crowd and huge profit form this years playoff run, season tickets are still selling liek crazy. as long as the season still happens next year flames will be selling out or damn close i think, kinda liek back in the early 90's, they went a few years selling the dome liek crazy than people just stopped going...

Shaolin
06-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
Keep dreaming about another Winnipeg team - unless there's huge changes in the CBA, no way we'll see another Cdn team here, seeing as how 3 of the current Cdn teams are struggling as it is. Flames are already talking about how difficult it's going to be to keep this team together, and they are in one of the best positions in the league in terms of number of players still signed...

I heard somewhere a new stadium is being built in Winnipeg for hockey? :dunno:

buh_buh
06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by roopi

I thought they played in the Igloo? yes, they play in Mellon Arena/The Igloo

eb0i
06-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin

I heard somewhere a new stadium is being built in Winnipeg for hockey? :dunno:

the stadium has already been built and hosts their junior team games there (not sure of the team name).

But last I heard of the penquins moving up here I heard that bettman specifically said no because nhl executives figured that for the winnipeg team to cut even they would have to sell out ALL their seats EVERY game at an average price of $85 per ticket. Which overall is hard to do especially if you are bringing a team like the penguins up here.

hyperwhite
06-11-2004, 01:12 PM
they might get a WHA team, but we all know how thats gonna turn out. i dont think that there will be any NHL next year for them to get the penguins.

SI-vic
06-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH

Originally posted by googe

Its not an expansion team. The Pittsburgh Penguins already exist.

Yeah I know Pittsburgh exists but.... Aquamosh stated Las Vegas as a possible Expansion team.

I think I also heard this awhile back also that Betman wanted an expansion team in Las Vegas..... what a fool he is
lucky Las Vegas bailed out on the plans..... but we all know Betman will be looking at other cities to expand to

Kobe
06-11-2004, 04:54 PM
he said there not for sale yet, but he has had some inquires...

I think there gunna be gone next year...