PDA

View Full Version : Another insurance question

dkny_stylez
06-11-2004, 02:33 PM
I am wondering if it is possibe to insure 2 cars under one of my parents. And me being the owner of my car, go under one of my parent's insurance as a part time driver on my car... Would that work?

Thanks in advance

Ben
06-11-2004, 02:40 PM
no, cant have more cars than drivers. They wouldn't accept you as a secondary driver.

Skyline_Addict
06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I believe that a person can only be the primary driver of 2+ cars if and only if he is the only one on the insurance policy on each car. If he were to add you to another car, you would have to become the primary of that car and he would be the secondary.
e.g you dad owns five cars:
all 5 are under his title.
all cars 5 are insured under his name.
he insures you to one of the cars.
you become the primary of that car.
he becomes secondary of that car.
your dad now has 4 cars where he is primary.

just what I heard....correct me if i'm wrong.

max_boost
06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
dkny:

From what I've heard, some insurance companies would allow you to do that but I'm not sure which one, just over heard my aunt talking about it a few years back. Which would be beneficial in your case as it would save you $$$. Like Ben said, generally, you would need to have more drivers than vehicles for the part time driver rule to apply. From the insurance companies standpoint, you have access to a vehicle at all times, how is that part time?

I'm the primary driver on both my RSX and 330Ci, there is no one else under my policy. :devil:but if my friend crashes my car, depending on the severity, I can be in deep shit! :eek: :rofl:

dkny_stylez
06-11-2004, 05:44 PM
yeah i dunno, im just trying to find a cheaper way becasue im getting quoted at 6100/yr. And the thing is I am only gonna drive it till nov anyways.

Jynx
06-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
dkny:

From what I've heard, some insurance companies would allow you to do that but I'm not sure which one, just over heard my aunt talking about it a few years back. Which would be beneficial in your case as it would save you $$$. Like Ben said, generally, you would need to have more drivers than vehicles for the part time driver rule to apply. From the insurance companies standpoint, you have access to a vehicle at all times, how is that part time?

I'm the primary driver on both my RSX and 330Ci, there is no one else under my policy. :devil:but if my friend crashes my car, depending on the severity, I can be in deep shit! :eek: :rofl:

what do u pay on those 2?

Jynx
06-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez
yeah i dunno, im just trying to find a cheaper way becasue im getting quoted at 6100/yr. And the thing is I am only gonna drive it till nov anyways.

well dependin on what ure age is, 6100 aint all that bad (if ure say 16 or 17)

max_boost
06-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jynx

what do u pay on those 2? $370/month, full coverage. I'm going to wait on an insurance quote for the SLK55AMG, then I sell both cars to drive that hehe

CRXguy
06-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
$370/month, full coverage. I'm going to wait on an insurance quote for the SLK55AMG, then I sell both cars to drive that hehe

here we go again!! :rofl: :nut:

TalonVelocity
06-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Ben what kind of info did you get on extremely modified cars? Pretty much fucked either way? Say if you have a SUPER HEAVILY modified mkii, but you just said u had like.. a vr6, would they accept that as a necessary engine change because of age of the car? cuz vr6 can be a stock vw engine..

dkny_stylez
06-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Jynx

well dependin on what ure age is, 6100 aint all that bad (if ure say 16 or 17)

im 19

Seanith
06-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah I think you have to be the primary driver.. unless there were less cars than people. In our family there are 4 cars and 4 drivers. We are all primary on our respective vehicles..

TalonVelocity
06-12-2004, 01:22 AM
WTF :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

I just found this out: A guy I know from BC has a RIDICULOUSLY modified 88 Golf.. The BC insurance company (Its provincial, so just one company) ALLOWS it to be insured as an 88 Golf, and he just has to take pictures of it to prove he has the mods, and if anything happens, they cover all mods.. I cant believe that.

sabad66
06-14-2004, 10:50 PM
wow 6100! i would shit my pants if i had to pay that. i have a 91 civic 3dr and i pay 230/month...and im only 17!

bighead2267
06-15-2004, 01:31 AM
result will be vary, all depends on the underwriting

Xtrema
06-15-2004, 07:43 AM
It goes like this:

In a household, part time driver status can only be obtained if there are more drivers than cars. If you got 3 people is driver's license and 2 cars, the most expensive driver can be categorize as part time and save $$. 3 people, 3 cars, all would be primary full time.

3 people, more than 3 cars, you would only have to buy liability for the 3 drivers. Coverage on comprehansive is up to you and what each vehicle is worth to you.