PDA

View Full Version : Why do you speed?

max_boost
10-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Addicted to speed?

I'm usually cruising with the flow of traffic but rarely go 15km/h over, also depends time of the day and traffic on the roads.......

At least I know I'm not doing anything stupid to contribute to accidents or getting myself tickets!

ninjak84
10-22-2002, 11:26 PM
i do the limit in traffic
on dry, clear nights though, i usually speed like crazy. only when im the only person at risk, do i speed.

why?

its really fun.... REALLY REALLY fun to have the windows down on a summer night, with your fav song playing, and a gran turismo rally demo playing on my little LCD screen, driving on deerfoot with no other soul in sight.

RiceCake
10-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Hmm... I dun think its so much the speed as it is the fun of acceleration... or lack there of in my case.. :(

Hakkola
10-22-2002, 11:35 PM
Cuz I'm KARAAAAAZZIIIEEE. :drool: :dunno:
I try not to, and find myself not doing it very often any more, i usually just accelerate really quick up to the speed limit, but on certain stretches I punch it for a bit.

Stratus_Power
10-22-2002, 11:35 PM
i never ever go 10 above speedlimit, except in deerfoot

5gluder
10-22-2002, 11:36 PM
I ussually drive 10km over. Honestly i rarely speed, there is always that moment when there is an empty straight road ahead of me, i can't resist i must hear my baby screem :D

redline_13000
10-22-2002, 11:38 PM
i speed if its 3 am and no one on the road

2000impreza
10-22-2002, 11:52 PM
i don't speed much at all. sometimes 10 over. lol. i could care less if suv, mini van, trucks,.....etc pass me. i can't afford to speed so i don't. i had one close call a few weeks ago where i more than doubled the speed limit racing a friend. it was stupid...... haha. don't think i'll ever do it again. my car is slow so no point in speeding anyways.

finboy
10-22-2002, 11:58 PM
i only go at most 10 over the limit.

this does not hold true on deerfoot at like 2-4 am, or the highway :devil:

i don't like getting pulled over, so i try to avoid doing legal things.

Davetronz
10-23-2002, 12:24 AM
I dont look at my speedo anymore, I just go with the flow of traffic...

Hakkola
10-23-2002, 12:26 AM
i don't like getting pulled over, so i try to avoid doing legal things.

Hahaha, recipe for disaster...

GTS Jeff
10-23-2002, 12:56 AM
i usually speed if i dont pay attention to the speedo...which doesnt happen too often..but otherwise

1. im in a rush (this seems to always be the case, but speeding when in a rush is ok, cuz it means im paying full attention to the road while speeding so its safer and i can also spot cops better since im actually on the lookout for them)

2. i just want the thrill of speeding (yea it sounds gay but its true...again im intentionally speeding so im paying full attention...and can see cops from far away)

both times i got tickets...it was when i was speeding unintentionally, and just not paying much attention. thats why i always try to pay attention when driving, so that i can speed and not get tickets

szw
10-23-2002, 01:02 AM
I speed a lot, not on purpose, but I just don't think about my speed and end up going faster and faster. It doesn't help that usually flow of traffic is speeding up with me.

I am usually about 10-15km/h over the limit, except for common photoradar locations.

aboveandbeyond
10-23-2002, 01:06 AM
i just speed for the sake of speeding....i havent got aticket for anything yet(knock on wood)but as soon as i get one i will slow down:D :D

T-rus
10-23-2002, 01:12 AM
I too normally do 10-15km over the speed limit depending on the location and time of day.

But sometimes you gotta give your adrenaline movin so you kick it up a couple of notchs and go (well go as much as the taurus will go :P)

GTS Jeff
10-23-2002, 01:14 AM
yea actually it just feels like something is wrong if your rpms arent rising...

girlRACER
10-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Since I got my ticket, I feel like I've been driving like a granny but people seem to think otherwise so I guess I'm still a crazy girlRACER.

But really, I only like short bursts of speed. I'll let go of the pedal once I reach speed limit. It's been pissing me off though because whenever I do it, whatever domestic car is beside me thinks that I am trying to race them and then at the next light they screech their tires and floor it! Like today for instance, a Ford F150 did that to me. Yesterday, another 2 cars did that to me.

But the number one deterrent of speeding for me is cops! They're everywhere and I really don't want to get caught and have more demerits.

CLiVE
10-23-2002, 01:30 AM
why do I speed? It's not me....its the car...the car is just asking me to....:dunno: :burnout: :D

BigShow
10-23-2002, 01:35 AM
i speed all the time, except for rush hour when it's hard to...

straight roads, curved roads, in between cars, hills, whatever... i love the feeling of going fast...maybe it's just me...

the tickets that I've gotten I've fought off the points with "points" so... i'll continue to drive fast when it's safe to do so...

lammer
10-23-2002, 01:57 AM
i speed because for those 10 seconds i'm free.

haha i rarley speed. and if i do its max of 10 km/h over the limit.

kenny
10-23-2002, 02:20 AM
I speed because its safer. Yes, safer. :thumbsup:

van
10-23-2002, 02:38 AM
I'm with Kenny, speeding makes it a safer ride.

lol.. nah, I speed 10km/hr over the limit but usually stay at the limit on most days.

If I'm in a rush, I'll go as fast as I can while I look out the side and rear mirrors for the cops and whoever else thats trying to take down my license plate.

The only time I really do speed is on 16th (so many undercover cop cars now).. deerfoot and barlow.. haha

van
10-23-2002, 02:40 AM
I think slowing down causes more accidents, so I guess kenny is right about it.

Deerfoot there is always an accident because traffic is moving so slow that people don't know how much to accellerate and somehow they end up on the persons bumper. Ick.

I always some how almost come close to rear-ending people when traffic is really slow.

When traffic is flowing and fast I rarely even come close to the back of another persons car. ha

shadowz
10-23-2002, 02:45 AM
I speed because I love the sound, of the motor when it revs over 4000 rpm, its a rush , but I try not to speed in most places too many cops

James
10-23-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Originally posted by memystealthandi
why do I speed? It's not me....its the car...the car is just asking me to....:dunno: :burnout: :D

Originally posted by shadowz
I speed because I love the sound, of the motor when it revs over 4000 rpm, its a rush , but I try not to speed in most places too many cops

These are my Reasons!:thumbsup: ...Mainly Just the Thrill of it!.....Speed is the Devil:devil: :angel:

mwmhong
10-23-2002, 07:50 AM
I don't speed unless provoked, I'm a counter-speeder :)

If I do get caught speeding, I take the ticket graciously, fair is fair. All my speeding tickets so far have been involving just myself(no racing/car fighting/idiot driving) when I didn't pay close attention to the speedometer or posted speed limit. :angel:

GTS Jeff
10-23-2002, 10:20 AM
if im in the van, i like to speed up when i see a corner ahead, cuz it means that its a chance for me to pass that bastard cavalier who is slowing down to take the corner right after flying by everyone else

max_boost
10-23-2002, 10:24 AM

Its important to be ahead of the pack

5gluder
10-23-2002, 10:46 AM

agree, the quicker you get off the road, the more safer for us :D

Ferio_vti
10-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Anyone hear about cops giving a grace on speeding?? I've heard from some people that cops will let speeding go up 10 to 15km/h over the posted limit.
Personally, I think this is a BS rumor for cops to pull you over with radar ETC. Speeding is speeding, 1 or 15 over the limit.
I don't think there's anything in writing saying that cops will let you go. And really doubt it would hold up in court either. 15 over is a lot.

M68KACIA
10-23-2002, 10:55 AM
I haven't been speeding lately (ever since I got slapped by 2 photo rader tickets).
But...The need for Speed + the sound of engine HIGH rev are very addicting. I think it is worst than a puff of weed.

I don't think I am able to afford any speeding ticket right now. So, I kept my speed close to the limit. But once a while, I will feel the need for speed......

:burnout:

B17a
10-23-2002, 10:55 AM
The law is pretty clear. The limit is posted, if you exceed it by even 1km/h, you're speeding, isn't the offical term "speeding in excess of posted speed limit"? But I think to save hassle in courts with "faulty" speedos (ahem - some people on this board!) they don't nail you unless you're well over say 10+. But technically they can nail you for anything over the limit. Any grace given is strictly up to the cop and his/her particular mood that day!:)

Stratus_Power
10-23-2002, 11:00 AM
haha yeh i always assume there is a 10km "grace" w/ the cops and the photo radar itself :P so always 10km over and nothing more, nothing less, and so far not a single ticket! ( haha sometimes it so funny, when you driving on a 60km/h road, and there is a cops going at 50km/h, you will see all the car following but scared to pass the cop so we all end up going at 50km til the cop make a turn somewhere :P

The Raptor
10-23-2002, 11:06 AM
I don't speed.. I merely observe

ecstasy_civic
10-23-2002, 11:11 AM
im more relaxed when im acclereating rather than getting behind some slow poke who cant make up there mind between lanes. also like shadows i love the sound of my car:rofl: i always slow down after i get a ticket for about 2 or 3 weeks and then im back to my old self.

Ben
10-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Last I heard from my neighbourt, Photo radar is set to 7 over.

cocoabrova
10-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by The Raptor
I don't speed.. I merely observe
Me too, I don't even drive a car :( :poosie: :thumbsup:

5gluder
10-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Last I heard from my neighbourt, Photo radar is set to 7 over.

I remember reading an article a couple years ago about a lawyer that defended the car rental companies. He was able to throw out a majority of the tickets because there is some sort of regulation that you can only get a photo radar ticket if you are driving 12KM over the limit.

three.eighteen.
10-23-2002, 01:57 PM
i speed cus i dont feel right sitting at the bottom of the powerband in a gear, but in the midrange, i hear the exhaust note more and then i end up feeling the need to punch it...and yeah speeding is safer...who gets in more accidents: the little old asian lady going 20 under or me going 10-15 over?

BigShow
10-23-2002, 02:25 PM
i also like to speed cause im usually faster than everyone around me

bksze
10-23-2002, 03:58 PM
usually because I'm late . . . but other times, it's just fun to hear the roar of the engine and of course, when the ego is tested

GTS Jeff
10-23-2002, 04:10 PM
its pretty safe to be going about 10 over the limit unless ure in a PGZ...

nobdoy gets a ticket for going 101 on deerfoot right?!

RiCE-DaDDy
10-23-2002, 04:50 PM
just moving with the flow of traffic

RiCE-DaDDy
10-23-2002, 04:52 PM
you have to remember cars come out of the factory with slight speedo inaccuracies

HRD2PLZ
10-23-2002, 08:17 PM
I usually go about 10km/h over the limit. Except on highways :angel: I guess I don't speed as much anymore because I've learnt my lesson and I sure don't need anymore demerit points :D

Speed_RaSiR
10-24-2002, 08:31 AM
I dont really speed that much, only late at night, I love taking tight corners though, I dont know why, I just love it. :burnout:

Luke 96 T/A
10-25-2002, 12:54 AM
I'm always trying to get ahead of the pack..
get away from the dumb slow drivers who brake sporadically... get in front of the big trucks throwing gravel... get into the clear and out of the traffic backlog...
at night, I find I average 30km/hr over the limit... during the day, as much as traffic will let me... (usually no more than 10km/hr over)
In 8 years of driving, I've had no accidents (nor have I caused any behind me! ;-)), and haven't had any speeding tickets in the last 2 years...

Prezzy
10-26-2002, 03:30 PM
When i work late i usually speed home, espeicially if my friend is working then we race home. In normal traffic i do about 5 over, and in highway traffic i do about 10 over (mph). I usually know where the police spots are so if im going too fast i usually break a little so i don't totally screw myself in a ticket. Then once its "safe" i hit the gas again. My friend got a ticked for doing 105 mph in a 55mph zone on a road that i speed home on every night lol. Never gotten a ticket (but im only 17 and relatively new).

theken
10-27-2002, 07:54 PM
I speed to hear my turbo spool up and then to hear my bov thats about all i do it for or to see how fast i can go in a certain stretch such as glenmore at 2 am :thumbsup:

rage2
10-27-2002, 08:06 PM
I speed because the speed limits are way too low for today's cars (they were designed for 1960 cars, which were unsafe at 80km/h if you ask me :D). In winter, when there's a lot of snow, it's about right.

treg50
10-28-2002, 07:57 AM
Talking km/h, I do 10-15 over at most. Never had a ticket yet.

I mainly do it just to open the engine up and stretch the legs.