PDA

View Full Version : Are minors are allowed to test drive?

blinkme_210
06-11-2004, 07:55 PM
My parents are gonna get my little brother a new car as his grad/birthday present. He is considering either a Spec V or Ralliart. Now my question is, do dealerships allow minors under 18 to even test drive new cars? Because my brother doesn't want to get a car that he has never test driven before.

tulit
06-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Theres no rule against it. A lot of dealers can tend to be pricks about it though (if he shows up by himself or with a bunch of buddies).

If he goes with your parents, he shouldn't have any problems though...

tommy1223
06-11-2004, 08:13 PM
most want you to be 18 and over unless ur with parents.

hatetank
06-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Bring Dad, salesman will be fine with it -- if not, tell the dealership to eat a d*ck and take your business elsewhere.

EK 2.0
06-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hatetank
Bring Dad, salesman will be fine with it -- if not, tell the dealership to eat a d*ck and take your business elsewhere.

There are reasons why they are dicks towards people under 18...not that I condone it, but when i used to work for Toyota I saw a lot of stupid driving made by kids who were "test-driving"...

Like it was and has and will be mentioned bring a parent and you should be ok...just dont "drive it like you stole it"

max_boost
06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Call ahead of time and arrange for a test drive. Tell the dealer that you are a minor and be realistic of the vehicle you want to purchase or drive. There is too much liability on the dealer's behalf should something happen during the test drive.

I was 18 when I purchased my Prelude and T&T basically ignored me so I took my business to Calgary Honda and told them I have cash on me so give me a deal. The more serious you are, the more serious they will take you.

My 2C

blinkme_210
06-11-2004, 10:15 PM
That's what I figured, asking to drive a sub $20k should be ok, not too much liability. While if it was a STi or 350 then it would be different.

And of course my parents are gonna go with him, after all, he's not the one with the money.

rice_eater
06-11-2004, 10:51 PM
i test drove a used car when i was underage:dunno:

RickDaTuner
06-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
My parents are gonna get my little brother a new car as his grad/birthday present. He is considering either a Spec V or Ralliart. Now my question is, do dealerships allow minors under 18 to even test drive new cars? Because my brother doesn't want to get a car that he has never test driven before.

Personally i dont hink there is a need for a test drive, the Spec V is the car he wants to get. I used to drive them everyday when i was a lot boy for nissan its just a very well refined sentra...

the Mitsu is cheap all arround, beside you get brembos with the Spec and a 6 speed.....

but as for the test drive

everytime some young guy wouldd walk into the store, all the sales guys put on thier hard ass hats and basically gave the guy all the info he wanted but never went forward with a deal, if you come in dressed like a punk then they are pricks to you, tell him to take his dad along and things should go smoothly

///M3
06-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I test drove a rsx type-s without a license with a friend. they didnt care, i just acted really interested. i told him ill be back tomorrow with my parents and i never returned lol.

lam-boy
06-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by ///M3
I test drove a rsx type-s without a license with a friend. they didnt care, i just acted really interested. i told him ill be back tomorrow with my parents and i never returned lol.

your cool now! :thumbsup:

Skylinelover
06-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Well I figure if the minor is mature, no problem, btu other wise if he isn't mature but still has the money to buy it why be an ass?

max_boost
06-12-2004, 03:08 PM
LOL I find the above hard to believe. Before you test drive, they always take your drivers license:rofl:

cujo_cjc
06-12-2004, 04:01 PM
when i went to test drive an rsx type s back in august i went with my dad
they didn't even ask me for my drivers liscense and let me leave the lot ;)

blinkme_210
06-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
LOL I find the above hard to believe. Before you test drive, they always take your drivers license:rofl:

:werd:

VWhooligan
06-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

i went test driving some cars at the VW dealership a couple years ago before i bought my 1.8t. Wanted to have bback to back drives between the 24v VR6 and the 1.8t.

they didnt ask if i had a license, didnt want to see it or anything, just grabbed the keys and said "ok lets go!" this was at 5th Ave VW.

ryder_23
06-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by cujo_cjc
when i went to test drive an rsx type s back in august i went with my dad
they didn't even ask me for my drivers liscense and let me leave the lot ;)

I bet when they see an older person, such as your father with you, theyre not as strict. I went and test drove an rsx-s today with a buddy, and they took down all my info etc...and came with us, it was obvious they'd do it. Even tho i'm just 19, they could tell i was interested and actually helped me out. They didnt ask if i was over 18 when they asked me if i wanted to test drive, so i assume you dont have to be.

JAYMEZ
06-13-2004, 12:22 AM
I went and test drove a 99 M3 no problem.

Kamen
06-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Yea test driving is fun stuff hehe
When I went to test drive the RX8 they took down my phone number and photocopied my drivers license. Other than that it's no big deal really, but I just acted like the rich asian kid and they weren't asses heh