PDA

View Full Version : ever heard of kawa?

ecstasy_civic
10-23-2002, 11:26 AM
just curious to see if anybody has had any good or bad experiances with this "j-spec" engine shop. a buddy of mine was telling me there really good but he doesnt even drive an import or as never had his motor replaced. i dont know how much i trust him

SpoonEK9@STRD
10-23-2002, 01:36 PM
yup there good.

ecstasy_civic
10-23-2002, 02:49 PM
cool are they reasonable?

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Kawa is pretty good ever been to Yoko or heard of it, the same sort of shop. It's pretty much up to you which one you want to go to. And it also depends on who you know too. It would be good to get hook ups...:clap:

ecstasy_civic
10-23-2002, 04:02 PM
well actually we got my buddies turbo from yoko, ya i know them fairly well but i was just curious about kawa hmmm now i must decide.:dunno:

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Yah who do you know pretty well from Yoko?

Hollywood
10-23-2002, 10:53 PM
I was just at Kawa few days ago. The guy I was talking too was not too much on the personality scene. It's basically just a small warehouse of engines and a desk.

ecstasy_civic
10-24-2002, 12:44 AM
cool

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-24-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood (2)
I was just at Kawa few days ago. The guy I was talking too was not too much on the personality scene. It's basically just a small warehouse of engines and a desk.

What were you expecting?!! They just opened not that long ago, give them a break.

P. Daddy Pedro
10-25-2002, 02:43 AM
where is this kawa place? Calgary right? what are some of the rates? i'm very interested? what are some of the specialty engine they carry?:love:

Hollywood
10-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by CiViCtypeRgurl

What were you expecting?!! They just opened not that long ago, give them a break.

What??? I just stated the obvious not knocking them.

Simma' Down Naa.

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by P. Daddy Pedro
where is this kawa place? Calgary right? what are some of the rates? i'm very interested? what are some of the specialty engine they carry?:love:

they get their engines directly from Japan, from the junk yards that they have there. So it's really depending on what you want. What do you drive and what motor are you looking for?

Hollywood
10-25-2002, 11:40 PM

they get their engines directly from Japan, from the junk yards that they have there. So it's really depending on what you want. What do you drive and what motor are you looking for?

They actually told me that most of the engines they get are not JDM motors but NorthA. motors for replacements or swaps. They also told me that they cant get JDM turbo's or JDM parts as single items. Prices did seem fair though on the motors.

drox
10-26-2002, 07:00 PM
My friend bought 3 jspec rotary engines from them. Two arent even jspec motors, and the 1 that is doesnt even turn over by hand. None of the motors were upto spec either, id never go there.

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-28-2002, 04:11 PM

They actually told me that most of the engines they get are not JDM motors but NorthA. motors for replacements or swaps. They also told me that they cant get JDM turbo's or JDM parts as single items. Prices did seem fair though on the motors.

Who are "they", Sorry to bust your bubble there buddy, but they are ALL imported back from Japan, I don't know where you're getting your info from but I get mine directly from people who know first hand. Like I said before they get all they're stuff from the junk yards in JAPAN!! how much more JDM you want to get??!

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by drox
My friend bought 3 jspec rotary engines from them. Two arent even jspec motors, and the 1 that is doesnt even turn over by hand. None of the motors were upto spec either, id never go there.

Who is this friend of yours? And what did he buy?

LUDELVR
10-28-2002, 04:16 PM

Who are "they", Sorry to bust your bubble there buddy, but they are ALL imported back from Japan, I don't know where you're getting your info from but I get mine directly from people who know first hand. Like I said before they get all they're stuff from the junk yards in JAPAN!! how much more JDM you want to get??!

Hollywood man, I think you may have struck a nerve or something!! haha, Really though, I don't think he meant anything negative by what he said. You seem a little over-protective about this place's rep! If anything harsh or detrimental was said about this company, it was drox and his comment:

Originally posted by drox

so just take er down a couple! No need in blowing a head gasket!!! ahhahahahaha:rofl:

CiViCtypeRgurl
10-28-2002, 06:19 PM
if i am coming off a lil over protected of Kawa's rep well I'm not. I'm just stating the facts. If drox or Hollywood man choose not to go there then whatever that's their problem, and they'll just end up going to someone who will end up getting them something that will come from Kawa or Yoko. Or you'll end up getting something that is an american motor and you'll be made to believe that it's Japanese. All I know is that Yoko and Kawa are the only places in Calgary that you'll find anything JDM that's authentic.

Hollywood
10-28-2002, 08:56 PM
if i am coming off a lil over protected of Kawa's rep well I'm not. I'm just stating the facts. If drox or Hollywood man choose not to go there then whatever that's their problem, and they'll just end up going to someone who will end up getting them something that will come from Kawa or Yoko. Or you'll end up getting something that is an american motor and you'll be made to believe that it's Japanese. All I know is that Yoko and Kawa are the only places in Calgary that you'll find anything JDM that's authentic.

Hmm we both seem to be stating the facts....When I was there, the older guy (late 40's-50+ years old, plus a very young guy who did not speak) told me what I stated above "most of the engines they get are not JDM motors but NorthA. Motors for replacements or swaps". Also I asked "Do you have any modified engines, that say have a aftermarket turbo and such?", he said "No, they are mostly stock."

Now I think I'm pretty respected in the community, so when this guy said these things to me he said those things to me! Now if they have confused employees that's a different problem. Now I never said they don't have any JDM motors, I was actually looking at a FWD/AWD SR20DET there, no RWD versions.

But seriously the JDM engine shops is the US make our Calgary shops look like guys in their garage. Even in Toronto and Montreal have way bigger shops and inventory then these guys here. I'm not bashing anyone just saying what I have seen. I am glad they are both here....because I'm looking for a JDM turbo to upgrade mine.

All I know is that Yoko and Kawa are the only places in Calgary that you'll find anything JDM that's authentic.

Now thats wayyyy to funny. Are you new around here? You be surprised of what is in Calgary. Here is a pic of my "JDM" engine, don't make me break out the list of JDM mods on it. And I can tell you this none of it came from anyone in Calgary.
http://members.shaw.ca/eurotrash/10a.jpg
or this;
http://members.shaw.ca/eurotrash/orpic.jpg

LUDELVR
10-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Hmmmmmm.....that charge pipe lookls familiar!!!! :confused: :confused: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hollywood
10-28-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Hmmmmmm.....that charge pipe lookls familiar!!!! :confused: :confused: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dont remind me. Hehehe.:banghead: It also did it to me last week too...Brrrrrrr, brrrrrrr POP! put...put ..put. Screw driver in the glove box part 2. ;)

That's Ok I'm going to make a nice new one this winter WITH A BEADED END, and it will be TRUE "CDM" Calgary Domestic Market!

LUDELVR
10-28-2002, 10:08 PM

Dont remind me. Hehehe.:banghead: It also did it to me last week too...Brrrrrrr, brrrrrrr POP! put...put ..put. Screw driver in the glove box part 2. ;)

That's Ok I'm going to make a nice new one this winter WITH A BEADED END, and it will be TRUE "CDM" Calgary Domestic Market!

hahaha, sweet man! I really got roll the ends on mine! I hate when thye pop off! Hasn't happened in winter yet, but I'm dreading the time that it does!!! hahahaha

drox
10-29-2002, 12:19 AM
If drox or Hollywood man choose not to go there then whatever that's their problem, and they'll just end up going to someone who will end up getting them something that will come from Kawa or YokoI wont disclose his name, as he is trying to sell the motors still. But if you bothered to read my post it said he bought 3 jspec (or not so jspec in this case) rotary engines. And yes, there is a small difference between jspec and north american rotaries.

LaughingTiger
10-29-2002, 12:37 AM
I know Yoko is good, I think the owners of Kawa and Yoko know each other...There both like Japanese chop shops.. The engines don't have over 80k on them so there probably pretty good, but there is no way of telling, it's mostly the job of install that is important.. They are all JDM engines, the polution laws in Japan are very strict, The cars are right off's after 80k or 5 years, The engines are mostly very good, they are shipped by boats in cut outs usually (Half the car comes w/ them).. I got an engine from Yoko over a year ago for my old car. The engine worked awsome. My friends know the guy's there pretty good, and I am getting a good deal on a JDM turbo for my car over winter..(If I decide against the bike)... Anyway from what I've heard and experienced Yoko is very good. I also heard Kawa was good, they are pretty much the same thing. We are very lucky to be able to have these shops locally, most cities don't . I woulden't worry to much they have 90 day warrenty on the engine an are pretty nice and knowlagable guy's... They have a Vietnamese guy don the street that installs the engine, he is spose to be pretty good..

Hollywood
10-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by LaughingTiger
I know Yoko is good, I think the owners of Kawa and Yoko know each other...There both like Japanese chop shops.. The engines don't have over 80k on them so there probably pretty good, but there is no way of telling, it's mostly the job of install that is important.. They are all JDM engines, the polution laws in Japan are very strict, The cars are right off's after 80k or 5 years, The engines are mostly very good, they are shipped by boats in cut outs usually (Half the car comes w/ them).. I got an engine from Yoko over a year ago for my old car. The engine worked awsome. My friends know the guy's there pretty good, and I am getting a good deal on a JDM turbo for my car over winter..(If I decide against the bike)... Anyway from what I've heard and experienced Yoko is very good. I also heard Kawa was good, they are pretty much the same thing. We are very lucky to be able to have these shops locally, most cities don't . I woulden't worry to much they have 90 day warrenty on the engine an are pretty nice and knowlagable guy's... They have a Vietnamese guy don the street that installs the engine, he is spose to be pretty good..

I have heard good things about Yoko as well.

Maggie
10-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Now I think I'm pretty respected in the community
I can say right now your not, because nobody has a fucking clue who you are. Just because you drive a 240 with a SR20 conversion that dynoed at 360 using your butt dyno doens't mean jack shit. There ARE other people in the city with the same swap as you, and there are other people in the city with a more impressive car than you. So why don't you get off cloud 9, and get back into the real world, where everyone just thinks your just another dumbass with just another car. Because unless you think respect is when everyone's making fun of you and your car, you are dead wrong.

jdmakkord
10-29-2002, 03:06 PM
oh oh watch out now:rolleyes:
Apparently someone doesn't approve of you now:poosie:

MrX
10-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

hahaha, sweet man! I really got roll the ends on mine! I hate when thye pop off! Hasn't happened in winter yet, but I'm dreading the time that it does!!! hahahaha

hahaha...me too:thumbsup: I've come to use double clamps to keep that sucker tight. Ghetto hookups all the way.

rage2
10-29-2002, 03:27 PM
And with this nonsense... thread closed.