PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Made a Personal Video Recorder?

Neil4Speed
06-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi Everyone, hope your all having a good weekend

I was just wondering, do you know if anyone here has made a Personal Video Recorder and the possible way to go about it. I was kind of looking into it as I don't want to go with Bell's Service as I already have a Shaw Home System or whatever.

Best Regards,

Neil

rage2
06-13-2004, 11:04 AM
I've done it on my PC. It's not hard, works quite well for normal cable. It doesn't work with digital cable or satellite boxes because the PC can't change the channel.

Here's what I suggest. Buy a standalone Tivo from the US, and go here:

http://www.tivocanada.com/

It teaches you how to convert the Tivo to use your own service data for either cable or satellite, and the Tivo has a remote simulator thingy that can change the channel on both expressvu satellite receivers, and the shaw cable boxes.

The features on a Tivo are amazing. Nothing touches it. Season pass and wishlists is wicked, and nobody else has it cuz it's patented :).

hampstor
06-15-2004, 09:35 PM
The two most popular options are going to be going with Windows Media Centre 04 based PC's (memx will be building them very soon...) or build a machine with a good hardware encoder and run myhtpc from www.myhtpc.net

Gonthro
06-16-2004, 07:58 AM
you could buy a PSX, its a playstation 2 with a built in PVR, atm its only avaliable in japan, but you could probably find one on ebay.