PDA

View Full Version : 1996-1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Opinions

sputnik
06-14-2004, 08:11 AM
I have been shopping around for a new (used) vehicle, and really like the 5.2L Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in terms of comfort, features and ride quality.

Does anyone have any experience with the 1996-1997 model years in terms of reliability and maintenance? Currently they are selling for about $11-14k (with 110-160k) and seem like a pretty decent deal.

benyl
06-14-2004, 08:35 AM
My friend has a Laredo. She goes through a set of brake pads and rotors every year. (You can't machine the rear disks). I am guessing the Limited has a similar set up.

She has had many electrical problems as well.

She has a '97.

T5_X
06-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Repair costs are not cheap on them, plus you realize this will put a serious dent in your wallet for fuel?

If all you're looking for is a cushy ride why not choose from the long list of luxury sedans?

sputnik
06-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by T5_X Repair costs are not cheap on them, plus you realize this will put a serious dent in your wallet for fuel?

I currently get 400km on a $50 tank of gas right now ever week so gas prices dont scare me.

I am really just looking for some real troublespots that people have experienced and see if there are any common reliability problems.

Originally posted by T5_X If all you're looking for is a cushy ride why not choose from the long list of luxury sedans?

Looking for an SUV.

5.9 R/T
06-14-2004, 08:56 AM
My 93 has been pretty reliable, only problem has been a faulty fuel injector, other then that it has been problem free. Lots of power, AWD, and a comfortable and spacious interior. Its probably older then what you're looking for but mine is for sale, 160 000k.

sputnik
06-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
My 93 has been pretty reliable, only problem has been a faulty fuel injector, other then that it has been problem free. Lots of power, AWD, and a comfortable and spacious interior. Its probably older then what you're looking for but mine is for sale, 160 000k.

From what I have heard they are pretty reliable as long as you stay on top of regularly scheduled maintenance and standard inspections. I am looking for a 96-97 because I like the redesigned interior/exterior and the Limiteds come with a sunroof, heated seats, tow package and power everything etc. I am also looking for one that is black on black leather.

What colour is the one you are selling? Leather? Price? (PM me).

Weapon_R
06-14-2004, 10:28 PM
My friend owns one with 280k, and it runs like a champ. The engine was voted one of the most reliability in the 1990s, so you should have a decently reliable vehicle.

sputnik
06-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Anyone else? :dunno:

NotbadSTi
06-16-2004, 11:06 AM
I think for the Value .. they are good, for $10-$12K .. you can hardly buy a 93-94 4 runners ..

You probaby expect higher running cost on SUV then car ...

I used to hv a 2000 Grand Cherokee .. they are alright .. had it for more then a yr, and sold it before 20K .. nothing happened ...
and talked to lots of people .. they are not that bad ..but more or less depend your luck if u can find good one !

You probaby should also consider a newer Cherokee ( not grand ) they are lighter, less electric, and of course, less problem for newer car, and I actually like the Cherokee look more then the "grand".

good luck ! it is actually time to buy SUV ! their prices are so low now !

EacydeLude
06-16-2004, 11:32 AM
My other vehicle is a 98 Cherokee, and we have had no problems with it at all. When we bought it we looked at the Grand Cherokees too, but we were turned off because there was always something wrong with each one we looked at. (tranny, electrical) Check out www.carreview.com and read the reviews, you'll get a general idea of what the vehicle is like.

Drew
06-16-2004, 12:02 PM
i used to have a 94 grand cherokee and i had so many f'n problems with it i wanted to just crash the fucker and take insurence. I had to rebuild the tranny, so many engine problems i hated it. i also had conversations with 5 people that owned jeeps who also had similar problems. But i only know one person with a 97, its a 5.9 tho but hes taken extremely good care of it (like won't drive it if its 1 km over the service kms) and he hasn't had any problems at all. So i just tend to stay away from jeeps after my experience but he loves em. Altho i will say while mine was running good i loved it. So hope i didn't confuse you

sputnik
06-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Drew
But i only know one person with a 97, its a 5.9 tho but hes taken extremely good care of it (like won't drive it if its 1 km over the service kms) and he hasn't had any problems at all.

This is how I treat all of my vehicles.