PDA

View Full Version : Calgary MB SLK Meet

rage2
05-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Hey guys. I propose we do a Sunday cruise, since I'm assuming all of us have work/school on weekdays =). Sunday May 26th sound good? Some destinations I can think of :

- Mackay's Ice Cream in Cochrane : great ice cream, great drive! 15 minutes west of calgary at speed limit =)
- Crescent Heights : There's a hill there with city skyline for great pics. Might be busy though...
- Glenmore Reservoir Park? : Another nice pic location, lots of room

For the speed freaks, we can hit Race City for friday night drag racing, if you're interested in seeing how your SLK does down the 1/4 mile. It's not hard on the car, and it's in a totally safe/controlled environment. It'll definately make awesome video footages! I have extra helmets we can all use.

Let me know what other destinations you can think of, such as lunch locations, etc. Once we get the locations hammered out, I'll draw maps and driving routes.

Members I've kept track of :

rage2 - Obsidian Black SLK 320, Brilliant Silver SLK 230
kenny - Alabaster White SLK 32 AMG
Jackie - Sunburst Yellow SLK 320
Murray von Kanada - Brilliant Silver SLK 230
mischief - Sunburst Yellow SLK 320
Ron - Sunburst Yellow SLK 230
Dave - Bahama Blue SLK 32 AMG
Jason (Dave's friend) - Bahama Blue SLK 230

That's 9 cars. My brother will most likely be driving the SLK 230, if he's busy, I'll bring my mom and dad =)

RiceCake
05-16-2002, 11:39 AM
hmm.. definately down for a meet... hmmm... we could always cruise to kaninasis for a bbqq meet... less choppers in the air. and hmm... i really wonder how the pimped out TRD woudl do on the 1/4 mile... :dunno:

rage2
05-16-2002, 11:42 AM
hehe this is a Calgary meet for the SLK folks from a different forum, but you're welcome to ride with me or Kenny! =)

RiceCake
05-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by rage2
hehe this is a Calgary meet for the SLK folks from a different forum, but you're welcome to ride with me or Kenny! =)

sweet! :hitit: :thumbsup:

kenny
05-16-2002, 12:58 PM
We can probably get the Brilliant Silver SLK32 AMG to join in on the cruise as well. She should be up for it.

rage2
05-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Can you get a hold of her? Someone's gotta know her!

RiceCake
05-16-2002, 01:05 PM
hmm... maybe ask gqlude on abcars... seems to be good enuf friends with her if he's going to be borrowing her car for grad. :cool:

ScCab
05-16-2002, 01:06 PM
can I cum!!!

Fluidic
05-16-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm up for tagging along with Kenny: we talked about a "ride-along" earlier this week... of couse if that's ok with him?! :)

Peter

ScCab
05-16-2002, 03:10 PM
I SAID CAN I CUM!!!!
:rofl:

rage2
05-16-2002, 03:24 PM
hehe between Kenny and I, we have 3 SLK's. So 3 passengers =)

kenny
05-16-2002, 05:26 PM
hehe between Kenny and I, we have 3 SLK's. So 3 passengers =)

Unfortunately, I don't have the Kwan skills to operate even ONE car properly at a time let alone TWO, so not sure how this is going to work. I think we'll have the black 320 towing the silver 230 so we can fit two passengers in the 230! :rofl:

Fluidic
05-16-2002, 05:30 PM
I will drive one of the SLK's... I am fully insured... and I smell great! LOL

Peter

rage2
05-16-2002, 05:31 PM
I just noticed only me and kenny from the mbnz board have posted =). Maybe they don't like me hehe.

Fluidic
05-16-2002, 05:42 PM
How can anyone NOT LIKE rage??? :cool: :cool:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Peter

Fluidic
05-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Hmmm... I was trying for this lil` dude:

http://forums.beyond.ca/images/smilies/confused.gif

but ended up getting this lil` dude:

http://forums.beyond.ca/images/smilies/ponder.gif

Oh well... same shit... different pile! LOL

Peter

girlRACER
05-17-2002, 01:41 PM
FYI mine is sunburst yellow.
Banff is too far. Crescent Hills is too crowded. But Saturday I have school all day. Is another day okay?

Where is the Glenmore Reservoir Park?

As well, I heard it is not wise to go highway driving unless you have "broken in" the engine for 1000 km.

Fluidic
05-17-2002, 03:39 PM
In the distance you hear the almost silent, but very deadly:

***CRACK of the whip***

LOL

Peter

kenny
05-17-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Banff is too far. Crescent Hills is too crowded. But Saturday I have school all day. Is another day okay?

As well, I heard it is not wise to go highway driving unless you have "broken in" the engine for 1000 km.

Yep thats true, you want to vary the rpm that you drive at for the first bit of driving. I considered my engine broken in after 300km, had it at Race City after 600km! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new car, pretty nice color too! :) Did you get a new personalized plate or are you keeping your old one? (which isn't really snobby or ... whats that word you used...)

Fluidic
05-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Did you get a new personalized plate or are you keeping your old one? (which isn't really snobby or ... whats that word you used...)

And what would this "snotty" plate say??? LOL

I went down to the licensing place today: ordered a FLUIDIC plate... no lie... whoever said you can't use I on your plate... well your just plain :bullshit:ing -- everyone!! LOL

Peter

kenny
05-17-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital

And what would this "snotty" plate say??? LOL

I went down to the licensing place today: ordered a FLUIDIC plate... no lie... whoever said you can't use I on your plate... well your just plain :bullshit:ing -- everyone!! LOL

Peter

Those bastards! I'm going to a different place next time... said I couldn't get the letter I because its too much like 1. A week later I saw someone with the plate KIWIGRL. :thumbsdow

This was when I was trying to register IB6 UB9. Maybe they were looking for excuses to not let me have that plate haha.

Fluidic
05-17-2002, 04:09 PM
LOL -- that was you who said you couldn't use I?! Hmmm... call these people... I dealt with them today... great people and will do plate searches right over the phone!! :)

Southland Registrations Ltd.
#106B, 9705 Horton Road S.W., CALGARY
Phone: (403)255-3653
Fax: (403)255-4503

Peter

kenny
05-17-2002, 04:13 PM
My friend works at that one, I'll probably go in and see him to get my next controversial plate hehe

RSeXy
05-17-2002, 06:26 PM
oh my...i can only imagine Kenny or Leo with the plate IB6 UB9!

haha

:rofl:

Fluidic
05-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Kenny's would read: IB6

and Leo's would read: UB9

ahahahaha

sorry dudes... had too... she set up the pins and I had to knock them down! LOL

Peter

rage2
05-17-2002, 07:35 PM

Is Sunday a good day?

Glenmore Reservoir Park (I think it's called North Glemore park or something) is at the south end of Crowchild, right by Lakeview. Basically drive south on crowchild until it goes into the park.

Yes you shouldn't take the car on the highway, but Cochrane is really close to calgary, about 30km I think. So as long as you downshift once in a while, it'll be fine. The traffic is relatively heavy on the weekends too, so expect to accelerate/brake throughout the trip.

David can't make the saturday date either, so I think I'll change it to Sunday. I'll edit the post now.

girlRACER
05-17-2002, 07:40 PM

Yep thats true, you want to vary the rpm that you drive at for the first bit of driving. I considered my engine broken in after 300km, had it at Race City after 600km! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new car, pretty nice color too! :) Did you get a new personalized plate or are you keeping your old one? (which isn't really snobby or ... whats that word you used...)

Thanks,
Actually I have not picked it up yet. 5 days left and counting..... The days are going by like weeks...so slow. Trying to get Netherlands setting as well except they have no idea what I'm talking about. Can't imagine what the wait on an AMG would be!! The torture of having to wait for a car!! I've already been waiting 2 months. I'm keeping the plates I have until I can afford a new one...besides, it takes like 6 weeks to order.

girlRACER
05-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Sunday is fine.

So how long should I wait b4 I drive it on the highway? 300,600 or 1000 km?

girlRACER
05-17-2002, 07:50 PM
RAce CIty sounds fun next week! How can 9 SLK's not be fun!!!! :clap:

rage2
05-17-2002, 07:53 PM
9 SLK's at the drag strip, that would make for very interesting video!

1000km's the "official recommended breakin" period. An AMG engineer says the AMG engines do NOT require break in at all (but the differential does), so don't do top speed runs until after 1000km =).

Kenny broke his car in at 300km, and we started driving really hard. No problems at all. With my SLK 320, I drove it hard the day I left the Lone Star lot =).

girlRACER
05-17-2002, 08:01 PM

Did you get a new personalized plate or are you keeping your old one? (which isn't really snobby or ... whats that word you used...)

The word I used was "conceited". Okay, I"m glad that it isn't a snobby plate....I'm just paranoid then. Makes me feel a whole lot better to have a another persons opinion.

RiceCake
05-18-2002, 12:12 AM
hey kenny... when are you getting the french connection plate? :cool: :D :D :D :thumbsup:

kenny
05-18-2002, 02:47 AM
Sunday is fine.

So how long should I wait b4 I drive it on the highway? 300,600 or 1000 km?

If you want to play it safe, I'd say 1000. You spend some decent coin picking up a car like this, so it doesn't hurt to baby it for a while before pushing it.

As I said before, as long as you vary the rpms a bit it should be okay. Shift from 3 -> 4 -> D -> 4 -> D etc etc to keep it changing, accelerate, brake etc.

If you're picking up your car on Wednesday, I am sure by Sunday you will have close to 1000kms anyways! :) I think I did 400km the first day I got my car and that was all within Calgary.

Fat Dave
05-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Sunday sounds groovy. Let me know where and when.

When does Secret Streets start? I work usually 'till 7.

I saw a silver 230 (pre-facelift) at Foothills hospital yesterday - wondering if that's someone we know or not? I'm at the hospital daily, and was thinking of dropping them a note if I saw the car again.

mischief
05-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Sunday sounds good. Have we decided where were going yet? Also what time does secret street start at race city? I think I'll hit it up this friday.

kenny
05-18-2002, 09:50 PM
Secret starts officially at 9pm, but if there are lots of cars ready, they will start early (8:30 - 8:45). The gates themselves open at 7pm I believe so you can get their early if you are running to have your car teched (inspected) and do any adjustments such as tire pressure.

To watch, its $5 and to participate it is $20 for unlimited runs until Midnight or on cold nights until the track begins to get slick.

As for a destination, Cochrane sounds like a good not so long cruise. If that sounds boring, someone could suggest some park etc. near the city (~30 mins away) that is unless we want to go on a longer cruise.

sexualbanana
05-18-2002, 09:54 PM
My brother will most likely be driving the SLK 230, if he's busy, I'll bring my mom and dad =)

if they're busy gimme a call. :clap: :clap:

mischief
05-19-2002, 07:50 PM
There's too many cops on highway 1A going into cochrane. We could do scottman's hill overloocking stampede park or fish creek?

kenny
05-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Do we plan on "driving fast" or go on a simple cruise? I am game for both :devil: :devil: or we could be complete :angel: and just cruise.

Superesc
05-19-2002, 07:57 PM
I like the :angel: idea...save the speed for tomorrow eh

Superesc
05-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Superesc
I like the :angel: idea...save the speed for tomorrow eh

hmmmm I seem to click on the wrong thread!!!!

girlRACER
05-19-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mischief
There's too many cops on highway 1A going into cochrane. We could do scottman's hill overloocking stampede park or fish creek?

I am ALL FOR Fish Creek!! I live across the street from the ridge.

kenny
05-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Doesn't matter where we go for me, just something to do and a way to meet some members :thumbsup:

girlRACER
05-20-2002, 11:54 PM
I heard that the weather is not going to be good mid-week and onwards. It is supposed to rain and/or snow. If that is the case, we should stay in the city and if the weather permits we could go to farther places such as Cochrane.

I thought that there were 9 of us but it seems like only 5 or 6 have responded.

Fluidic
05-21-2002, 12:19 AM
I'm coming! :) :D :D

Peter

rage2
05-21-2002, 12:24 AM
I heard that the weather is not going to be good mid-week and onwards. It is supposed to rain and/or snow. If that is the case, we should stay in the city and if the weather permits we could go to farther places such as Cochrane.

I thought that there were 9 of us but it seems like only 5 or 6 have responded.

If the weather's bad, we'll be propsoning. No reason to cruise in roadsters when it's raining =).

We'll try to contact more of the folks at mbnz, maybe I should clean up this thread to keep it short and on topic. It's at 3 pages now =)

girlRACER
05-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Wow Rage! You're getting your AMG this week!! I thought you said it was delayed till Sept!

I hope that it will not be postponed and that the weather will be cooperating.

I'm also looking forward to RaceCity on Friday!

rage2
05-21-2002, 11:55 AM
hehe if you're referring to my "What I Drive", I was making fun of the fact that my SLK 320 is a poser AMG =)

By the way, I'll be at Race City tonight for the autocross if you're interested in watching my SLK in action. I'll be there around 5pm. Racing should start around 7pm, even in the rain.

girlRACER
05-21-2002, 01:00 PM
Sure....Race City is ten minutes away from where I live. Does it cost money to watch though?
Why are you going so early?

rage2
05-21-2002, 01:01 PM
It's free for spectators. I have to be there early to get my car teched.

rage2
05-21-2002, 02:53 PM
Kenny is going, not sure if he's running in the rain though. Maybe a few others from the forums, not entirely sure.

mischief
05-24-2002, 12:08 AM
Well look like the weather will be okay on sunday. We still on? :clap:

kenny
05-24-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm assuming it is and have the entire day open

Fluidic
05-24-2002, 07:39 AM
I'm coming in my totally kick-ass German ride!!!

HEHEHEHE

RGAGT
05-24-2002, 10:15 AM
Hey I'm Up for a Cruise on Sunday If your Going to Let the German (Jetta) in Can and American (Pontiac) Tagg along :duh:

rage2
05-24-2002, 11:02 AM
If we are doing a Sunday cruise, we have to determine the destinations ASAP. I've got email from some of the SLK people already and they're out of town, but most of us are ok with a Sunday cruise.

GirlRacer
kenny
rage2
mischief
Fat Dave
Fat Dave's friend

kenny, want to put together some destinations for an intown cruise, since GirlRacer's car probably won't be broken in yet.

boi-alien
05-24-2002, 11:31 AM
i think girlRACER should drive me on sunday mwahahah :thumbsup:

Pete92SL
05-24-2002, 11:35 AM
Jason (Dave's friend) - Bahama Blue SLK 230

I work with him. lol

Pete

mischief
05-24-2002, 12:09 PM
At the rate girlRACER is going, she'll have more KM on her car than I have on mine! :clap:

Are we all going to hit up secret street tonight too?

RiceCake
05-24-2002, 02:02 PM
At the rate girlRACER is going, she'll have more KM on her car than I have on mine! :clap:

pretty sure rage2 is heading down with his 320 to nite :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

boi-alien
05-24-2002, 07:37 PM
who else is going tonight? i was hoping to see 9 SLKs blast down the 1320 heheh

mischief
05-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Have we finalized plans for the meet on sunday?

girlRACER
05-25-2002, 10:33 AM

hehe...nope. I'm at 194 km. Still a long ways to go.

Moe
05-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Hey everyone...

I'm Moe... Fat Daves Friend.

I know Rage and Kenny from the MB forums and if my memory serves correct I have met Kenny. I never post on forums that often as I work too much and my roomate has a crappy puter so I don't get on it that much. Bangin' your head on a brick wall :banghead: would be more productive than spending time on this thing.

Anyways, I am totally up for this :angel: cruise on Sunday. When and Where?

rage2
05-25-2002, 11:50 AM
OK We got Dave, Moe, Kenny, rage2, mischief, and girlRacer. I'll think of a route for tomorrow and post here later today.

girlRACER
05-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Please pick a location not in the NW, its so far!

Fluidic
05-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Please pick a location not in the NW, its so far!

You should like driving now that you have your new car! :)

Peter

rage2
05-26-2002, 12:50 AM
It's getting late, and this cruise is slightly unorganized =). Anyways, if everyone is still up for it, here's the preliminary details :

Meet 1:30pm downtown at the 10th Street and 9th Ave. SW Staples lot. It's a fairly big lot that can fit a bunch of cars. From there, we go to Cresent Heights for some pics, there's a long road that's got an awesome view of downtown. Next, we'll head onto 16th Ave, to Crowchild South, all the way to Glenmore Park (in Lakeview) for a small gathering. We can decide on dinner plans from there on.

I'll be checking in at around 12pm to make sure there's still interest in the cruise. Sorry for the last minute post/route info. Hope to see everyone there!

Fat Dave
05-26-2002, 10:15 AM
:thumbsup: See you then!

Gotta skip the dinner portion, tho.

Moe
05-26-2002, 10:32 AM
I may be a bit late as I am going to pick up a friend to come along for the ride. If I am late and you guys have left the parking lot already I'l just head on down to Crescent Heights. I know the exact hill that you were talking about.

See all ya lata... :D

Pete92SL
05-26-2002, 11:29 AM
I'll come :)

Pete

rage2
05-26-2002, 12:34 PM
See ya guys at 1:30!

kenny
05-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Fun cruise guys, we gotta do this more often... flag down some more SLKs when you see them on the street and get their numbers! :thumbsup:

Fluidic
05-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Damnit... I am really happy for you guys... but shit... I shouldn't have gone to bed at 6:00AM this morning... I missed out on one of the warmest cruises yet... GRRRRRRR

Peter

Moe
05-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Please Help!!

Anyone who is an authority on the MB rear brakeing system could you please call me at 730-6457.

Unfortunately I know nothing :dunno: about my braking system and something is wrong. I don't know how serious this is. I still have the use of my brakes except the rear right is makeing a lot of noise as a part seems to be loose.

Thank you in advance.

Moe
05-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Problem solved!!

I found out that I am missing a bolt on the rear brake. I'll take it in either tomorrow or tuesday and get that fixed right away. Hopefully that doesn't cost too much.

Hey great ride today. Nice meeting all of you.

mischief
05-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks to kenny and rage2 for setting up the meet today. Also kudos to all that showed up. We couldn't have asked for better weather and how can 6 SLK's crusing together not be fun? It was also nice to meet some fellow SLK owners and some future SLK owners (we hope anyway). This is something we have to do again.

kenny
05-26-2002, 10:23 PM
Next time we should end off with a BBQ in Fish Creek, or any of the other city parks. The pictures from this cruise are posted in the photo/video gallery.

rage2
05-27-2002, 12:05 AM
I think I saw girlracer again on Nose Hill Drive in her SLK around 9pm... but the top was up!!! =)

girlRACER
05-27-2002, 07:35 AM
I think I saw girlracer again on Nose Hill Drive in her SLK around 9pm... but the top was up!!! =)

Yup, I waved to you!! Got a car wash at Big Bucket.

kenny
05-27-2002, 01:47 PM

Yup, I waved to you!! Got a car wash at Big Bucket.

Don't you live in the far south? There is a big bucket in the south just off Deerfoot at Peigan. Maybe that could be something to do on our next cruise, all of us roll into a car wash and take over all the bays :D

ScCab
05-27-2002, 01:53 PM

Don't you live in the far south? There is a big bucket in the south just off Deerfoot at Peigan. Maybe that could be something to do on our next cruise, all of us roll into a car wash and take over all the bays :D

that sounds soooooooo kewl dude:thumbsup:

maybe I can tag along too:D

infamous
05-27-2002, 02:08 PM
that would be fun...or everyone with slk's should show up at 1 house, and have like 1 in the garage, 2 on the driveway, and like 4 on the street...that would make a house look sweet