PDA

View Full Version : Tires

mustangbiker
06-14-2004, 01:23 PM
I just got a Mustanf\g GT with Goodyear 245/45ZR17 tires. I have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone one have a recommendation on a good winter tire, and is it smart to buy 4??

2. How about a good 4 season tire. I will not drive to the z rating and wonder if I should just wear these out and get a set of 4 season's.

Thanks
Warren

GTS Jeff
06-14-2004, 02:14 PM
it depends on the weather where u live. if u dont see much snow the way most calgarians do, then allseasons are fine. get some performance all seasons.

and yes, get all 4. for most people, having 4 of the same tire with the same wear is the safest solution.

NickGT
06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
checkout www.tirerack.com for reviews and info.

I run dunlop winter sport M2s currently. Excellent winter traction, and hold pretty good on the dry roads too... but those are the tires that came with my car when i bought it... i haven't bothered to do much research, but i'll be interested to hear other opinions so i can make my decision for next winter...

mustangbiker
06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
I live in Maryland and figure 4 seasons may be the way. I have seen some H rated.

Do you have any recommandations on brands and types

Thanks
Warren

NotbadSTi
06-14-2004, 05:34 PM
buy 2 winters tires ! don't just buy two !

Micheline artic pilot are good !

1badPT
06-14-2004, 05:46 PM
If studded is allowed in your area and you have icey winters, I've had good luck with the Kumho I'zen KW-11's. Great price and with studs in you'll stop faster and have more traction for turns in snowy/icey weather. Not a high performance tire though since they are made tall and narrow (you'll get sidewall flex if you try to corner really hard on these things). They ride noisier than most other tire types but like anything else with tires, its a tradeoff.

Then buy a purpose built summer tire that matches your driving style, whether its a quiet ride you're after, or grip during spiriited driving or high mileage tires.

All season tires are designed to be average in all situations and there isn't really an all-season that will give great performance during any one particular situation.

All-weathers or 4-season tires are basically all season tires that have been designed to have better winter performance, but they are still average in each driving situation as opposed to a purpose built tire that excels in a given driving condition.

GL with whatever you decide, and yeah buy 4 of whatever you pick. :thumbsup: