PDA

View Full Version : Carrera GT gets rear ended. Pic and Story. $100K worth of Damage

fj0
06-14-2004, 06:22 PM
This is taken off the 6speedonline.com forum:

"This was taken from my 968 board, the guy writing the post is a Sales guy at Pioneer, he has been on the board for years so I would have to say it is 100% true... I am trying to get some pics.
Ben do you know anything about this

As I drove my new 911 in to have a child seat installed you will never guess what I saw sitting in the detail bay. I had seen this car in the showroom the day I took delivery so when I noticed it siting in the detail bay I just sort of glanced at it. If I wasn't so giddy about my own car I certainly would have paid closer attention.

Pioneer Centres Porsche in San Diego delivered its' first of 7 Carrera GTs' last Wednesday. The owner wanted one of the mechanics to drive it off the lot with him for the first drive. After which they switched drivers and the owner took the wheel. As they were returning to the dealership the cars owner stalled the car at a stop light. The truck following expected the car to take off and hit the Carrera GT so hard on the rear left side as to cause close to $100K worth of damage. The cars owner got out of the car and said to the guy driving the truck "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!! YOU JUST HIT A CAR THAT COST ME NEARLY HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!!!! I guess the truck driver just stood there speechless, mouth wide open, eyes filled with utter horror. His only excuse apparently was he thought the Carrera GT would just "flat take off".

I guess there are two lessons to be learned here. For the guy driving the truck, never attempt to keep up with a Porsche especially a Carrera GT while driving a truck. No matter what you will come out looking pretty stupid.

Lesson #2 for the Carrera GT owner, if you can afford to buy this car you can afford to have it transported to a safe place to learn to get it out of first gear."

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=119162

The full story with posts: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11446

C4S
06-14-2004, 06:31 PM
When will be the first GT going to Calgary ??

Still September/Oct ?? :drool:

roopi
06-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Hmmm doesn't look like $100,000 in damage. :dunno:

///M3
06-14-2004, 08:00 PM
ya bullshit its 100K worth of damage.
:dunno:

illeagle
06-14-2004, 08:03 PM
" eye goat eem, Hey thema! i just rammed one of thems UFO's!"

Kamen
06-14-2004, 08:07 PM
It doesn't look like it got smashed up that bad...let alone 100k worth of damage...

Lennon
06-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Also calling BS here, if its that much, what the hell needs to be replaced!

962 kid
06-14-2004, 08:13 PM
that can quite easily be 100k of damage... the car will need to be shipped to germany, new cf pieces made, treated, etc etc. plus, you cant do a spot repair on those panels because of the treatment they get to hide the weave of the carbon fibre. the list goes on

Lennon
06-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Explain to me why they would have to ship it to germany to do this?

Seanith
06-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Hmmm doesn't look like $100,000 in damage. :dunno:

they probably charge like $50000 just for the rear bumper lol.. that doens't look that bad at all.

blinkme_210
06-14-2004, 08:24 PM
All about the carbon fiber!!!

962 kid
06-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
All about the carbon fiber!!!

:werd: porsche doesnt just spray paint on, theres a special process they put it through so that you can't see the weave. I doubt there are any porsche-approved bodyshops that can do that

Lennon
06-14-2004, 08:28 PM
What?

So you'd think that instead of shipping out the car, they would get the part ready, then ship it out, and then the Porsche techs would install it... doesn't sound complicated to me.

962 kid
06-14-2004, 08:34 PM
dont forget though, that the car is a carbon fibre tub, so if theres any damage to that...

ive seen wayy more innocent accidents cause chassis damage

Lennon
06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
True enough... who knows for sure really. Would be a crazy shame to have to ship that back out there though....

car
06-14-2004, 08:57 PM
looked like he backed into a parking meter

Redlyne_mr2
06-14-2004, 09:08 PM
It doesnt take much to do 100K worth of damage to A CGT. 962 kid has basically covered all the bases in answering everyones questions. Porsche parts are insanely expensive which is one of the reasons it's the most profitable auto manufacturer in the world. The Carrera GT's have landed in Canada. I imagine a Porsche dealer has to have some pretty high credentials to be able to get one on it's showroom floor. Pfaff Porsche here in Toronto just got one in...it's amazing. It's being delivered to Jim williams, owner of williams communication here in TO

EK 2.0
06-14-2004, 09:19 PM
YAY I get to be the first to call it...

CHOP!!...

j/k...wow thats some damage...

I would love to just get to take a rip in one...

rage2
06-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
:werd: porsche doesnt just spray paint on, theres a special process they put it through so that you can't see the weave. I doubt there are any porsche-approved bodyshops that can do that
They cover the carbon fiber pieces with body filler (bondo? haha) before painting. According to car and driver, 40lbs of body filler is used on the entire car.

As for the 100k pricetag for repairs, remember that carbon fiber doesn't get fixed, it gets replaced. Depending on the extent of the damage, it could mean the rear subframe is replaced :eek:. I'd like to see the pricetag in the porsche parts system on a CF rear subframe!

hjr
06-14-2004, 10:22 PM
$100k is totally understandable. The rear got a good crunch. Look at how nothing lines up anymore. Bad news as the c/f probably did a little snapping.

Kamen
06-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Yea thanks for the explanations guys.
But I got a question now; if it got rear ended wouldn't the whole back or at least the center get smashed in? Assuming the cars were going straight after the red light and it got rear ended, it looks like a pole smashed the left side...or he backed into a pole...
or the truck could have one of those metal grill things? :dunno:

C4S
06-14-2004, 11:37 PM
$100K to repair a $700K car ( cad ) is not that crazy ..

For the F40 .. I heard the hood already cost $80,000 to replace ! :eek:

Forcefed
06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
:( :( :cry: :cry:

So sad...

knight180sx
06-15-2004, 12:50 AM
There is one arriving in Edmonton by christmas.

C4S
06-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by knight180sx
There is one arriving in Edmonton by christmas.

Good X mas gift ! ha ha ..

actually .. Randy said .. probaby will be in Nov ..

And Turbo S will be avaliable for 2005 model !

nissanz32
06-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah the edmonton one is supposed to be here for Oct/Nov.The thing is the guy that purchased the car isn't sure he really wants it.I guess he said that if someone wanted to buy it off him he had no problem doing so.I can't wait to see that thing in person.

A2VR6
06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I hate to see the truck driver's insurance after this.

DefektiveVibe
06-16-2004, 06:49 AM
hey someone tell himt o bring it to my garage i have the same color paint and a great rubber hammer.

thats harsh...so the paint these porsche people use doesnt come off or scratch off by the looks of it? or it mustve been a nice clean hit.

dkny_stylez
06-16-2004, 08:29 AM
doesn't look that bad, he over exaggerated on the 100k damage

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez
The owner of the car is on one of the Porsche forums I regularly visit. Looks like the damage is going to be closer to 200K

DefektiveVibe
06-16-2004, 02:25 PM
whos his repair man? looks like hes getting ripped off just cuz he has a nice car

How is it that the bumper cost almost half as much as the car?

boi-alien
06-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez

Originally posted by DefektiveVibe
whos his repair man? looks like hes getting ripped off just cuz he has a nice car

How is it that the bumper cost almost half as much as the car?

read the rest of the thread before you post.

/////AMG
06-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Ok, guys, it's a Porsche, let alone a Carrera GT. It's Carbon Fiber. It isn't a rip off, thats the actually price. I think $100K is too low. Just like Redlyne_MR2 said
The owner of the car is on one of the Porsche forums I regularly visit. Looks like the damage is going to be closer to 200K

blinkme_210
06-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

What is the URL of the forum? It'd be kool to see other people's GT's.

M_Power
06-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I think the only BS in this story is how the accident happend, definatly looks like he reversed into a pole :nut:

BumpinTalon
06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Like hell that's not $100,000 plus worth of damage. The whole bumper isn't on right. The bumper cover is $14,000US on its own, plus the body work and plus paint. A bunch of mounts are messed up. Looks like the black bit in the back is messed up as well. These are all one-piece bits... no patching up is possible here. I'm not sure if that black piece is apart of the underbody aero parts either, but if it is I'd say it'd cost upwards of $50,000 on its own, not to mention how many hundreds of hours of man-labour it's going to take to fix a car like that.
Everybody keeps talking about how it's a rip off. Considering that it is a supercar, you have to take into account everything is around 20 times higher to do anything then it is on a regular car. Man hours are probably around $400/hr instead of $150. Not cheap to buy = not cheap to fix.

Let's see somebody crash an Enzo. I bet it would cost around $400,000 to put a new front end on one.

962 kid
06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by M_Power
I think the only BS in this story is how the accident happend, definatly looks like he reversed into a pole :nut:

yah, thats exactly what it looks like, nevermind the fact that the driver had a witness passenger :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
The bumper cover is $14,000US on its own, plus the body work and plus paint. Looks like the black bit in the back is messed up as well. \=

:werd: that bumper cover isnt even cf, and its 14k. The black bit is, GOK how much that will be

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by M_Power
Here are some more details for people calling BS on every little detail.The story behind it is he just took delivery ($6K/month lease!) and was on his way to the gas station down the street to fill it up. Got rear ended by a big truck.

Damage estimates? The service manager says $200K!!! Guess with parts being as rare as the CGT, it costs that much? I would have hated to be the guy who rear ended the owner.

There's still more drama...Apparently, there's something about medical costs in there and also heard that the insurance company (either truck owner or CGT owner, it was not clear) may not cover the whole bill.

M_Power
06-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

yah, thats exactly what it looks like, nevermind the fact that the driver had a witness passenger :rolleyes:
I was just being humorous in my previous post.

Its a shame that on a day that should have been so enjoyable to the owner all of this can happen

:(

elimit
06-17-2004, 09:09 PM
considering its $800 for an oil change on an Enzo ... $100k does not suprise me

cycosis
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
shitty. thats all i have to say. i woulda raped whoever touched a car like that.....:guns: